Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxRTattedOnMe View Post
    Just saw some highlights of him....looks real good. He is a freak!!!!! Where is his stock at?
    Late 2nd, early 3rd
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

vCash
    Anyone else thinking that we dangle Mallett for a 2nd or possibly 1st round pick from a QB desperate team?

Jax, Az, Buffalo, NYJ, Philly, KC, Cleveland, Minnesota, even San Diego (the way Rivers played, and if they bring in new coaching/admin) all with huge to moderate needs at QB.

Weak, weak draft class. Vick will find a home with one of these teams. Other FA's are not that appealing, IMO.

Mallett would be one of the top 3 QB's if he were in this draft. With so many taken last year early (granted, the talent level was far superior), do you guys see this as possible?

I'm all for bringing back Hoyer/Cassel for the backup spot. Let's face it, Brady is here for 2-4 more seasons. No way Mallett is going to rot as a backup that long. His value will be at its highest point this offseason, IMO.

Considering how few draft picks we have, do you see the potential for a return higher than the 3rd round pick we used on him?

Even packaging our 2nd rounder with Mallett, to swap picks with a team picking in that 15-25 range, netting us two 1st round talents? Is this a pipe dream?

vCash
    Won't get a first or second for Mallett
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

vCash
    I dunno dude, we drafted Mallett in rd 3. He was waaaay undervalued, and The Pats no longer could pass on him in rd 3, which had us all scratching our head considering we were fine with Brady/Hoyer.

If that coke rumor wasn't horribly overblown by the media, you are realistically looking at Mallett as the #2 or #3 QB off the board in 2011.

2011 Qb's: Cam Newton (1), Blaine Gabbert (1), Christian Poder (1), Andy Dalton (2), Ryan Mallett (3)

2012 Qb's: Luck (1), RG3(1), Tannehill (1), Weeden (1), Osweiller (2), Wilson (3), Foles (3)

2013 prospects projected: Geno Smith (1), Barkley (1), Tyler Wilson (1), Aaron Murray (2), Tyler Bray (2), Ryan Nassib (2), Mike Glennon (2), Landry Jones (2-3)

Out of all these guys mentioned, I would say only: Cam Newton, Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson (stats wise, not NFL body) Barkley (stats-wise), Geno Smith (RG3 factor....likely Pat White repeat), and Landry Jones had better COLLEGE PRODUCTION/prospect hype than Mallett entering their respective drafts.

Russell Wilson Fell because of his size....proved everyone wrong. The Bengals wanted Dalton, and he proved the critics wrong as well. Those are the only two QB's who you can argue to have outperformed their original draft stock.

Mallett has waaaay better physical tools/NFL QB body type (plus NFL experience) over Geno Smith, Barkley, and Tyler Wilson (also Arkansas QB), who are all projected 1st rounders in 2013.

Guarantee Jacksonville, Minnesota, and Cleveland are all kicking themselves having selected the likes of Gabbert/Ponder/Weeden.

It is rumored that Cleveland will make a play for Mallett, especially if McDaniels is offered a coaching position there.

If a guy like Osweiller is getting picked in round 2, you can't possibly tell me that Mallett doesn't have superior stock as a player.

Lots of QB's available in the 2013 draft, so I can see the argument.....but which of them actually are a superior talent to Mallett?

If Cleveland isn't sold on Weeden (he was up and down....no significant improvement from years beginning to years end), or Jacksonville/Minnesota aren't sold on Gabbert/Ponder, you don't think there is a realistic chance to get at least a 2nd round pick straight up for Mallett?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdceltsfan View Post
    Out of all these guys mentioned, I would say only: Cam Newton, Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson (stats wise, not NFL body) Barkley (stats-wise), Geno Smith (RG3 factor....likely Pat White repeat), and Landry Jones had better COLLEGE PRODUCTION/prospect hype than Mallett entering their respective drafts.
    This is the second time today I have heard this and it completely baffles me. How does anyone that watches football compare Geno Smith and Pat White. Geno=pocket passer. Pat White=VERY mobile QB. Geno isn't a threat to break off a huge run at any time. You are not going to see him running the Wildcat. Like was said in the Geno thread in the NFL Draft forum, the only similarities between Geno and Pat White are they are black QB's that went to WVU. It ends there.
    PSD Weekly Pick Em
    31-29

vCash
    I dunno dude, we drafted Mallett in rd 3. He was waaaay undervalued, and The Pats no longer could pass on him in rd 3, which had us all scratching our head considering we were fine with Brady/Hoyer.

If that coke rumor wasn't horribly overblown by the media, you are realistically looking at Mallett as the #2 or #3 QB off the board in 2011.
    Just want to let you know that the coke rumor was not overblown at all. It was definitely legitimate (I know a friend at Arkansas that said it was legitimate), and he really did not handle it well at the combine. He was worth the risk in the third round for the Patriots, but I definitely understand why teams were afraid to make him the face of their franchise.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    How long is Brady going to play anyway? At some point Mallett is going to want to play and if we can't give him that he'll look elsewhere.

Depending on how long Brady plays, it might make sense to trade Mallett at some point for a pick(s) and to draft another QB to sit behind Brady and learn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    What about Margus Hunt out of SMU at DE? He's a 6'8 280 lbs physical freak with a large frame who's only been playing football for 4 years. He's very raw to go with his great speed and strength. Also has a 4.65 40 time

I'm watching him at the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl right now.
    Imagine that size speed and power opposite of Jones.
    He's a big project with good upside. Hunt doesn't really have a lot of pass-rushing tools, and has been getting by on raw athleticism. Also, you have to take into account how badly that Fresno State offensive line played. He had a lot of gaping lanes to shoot through, and you shouldn't allow that kind of athlete to go unblocked repeatedly.

He kind of reminds me of a poor-man's Calais Campbell, and it took him a few years to really "get it." He will probably be taken in the 2nd round if he has an impressive combine, but I won't be shocked if some idiotic team pulls the trigger in round one like the Chiefs did with Dontari Poe last draft. He should be taken in the third round in my opinion.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Mallett in this draft is worth at best late 3rd round IMO. He's got brutal footwork, doesn't seem to progress his reads very quickly, has little touch on his passes. Nah.

I'm pretty sure BB knows he isn't the one, I wouldn't be shocked if he deals him and resigns Hoyer to be the back-up until BB finds the real McCoy over the next two years.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVpatsfan View Post
    This is the second time today I have heard this and it completely baffles me. How does anyone that watches football compare Geno Smith and Pat White. Geno=pocket passer. Pat White=VERY mobile QB. Geno isn't a threat to break off a huge run at any time. You are not going to see him running the Wildcat. Like was said in the Geno thread in the NFL Draft forum, the only similarities between Geno and Pat White are they are black QB's that went to WVU. It ends there.

The Pat White reference was more implying that Geno Smith will be an absolute bust in the NFL, but cost some team a likely top 5-10 pick, instead of just a 2nd rounder. I'm aware of the very different offensive schemes WV runs now; but to say that Smith can't run is selling him short. Just because they chose to confine him in the pocket and have him throw 35-50 times a game, doesn't mean he can't scramble and take off. The black QB comparison is all you man; well aware of Smith being more of a pocket passer. For whatever reason, his college stock as a QB is high....that is what baffles me.

I agree with Bagwell about Mallett's footwork, but didn't Brady also have fairly goofy footwork and pocket speed in his early days? Brady has always had the release, the mentality, and work ethic. He developed in to what he is now. I'm not trying to say Mallett is the next Brady, but I also think he has a much higher ceiling than a lot of people give him credit for.

Realistically the 1st round pick idea was an overstatement by me, and was taking in to consideration the lack of star-potential QB's in this draft, or even functional starters. Barkley seems like another Sanchez/Leinart....more of the same from USC. Geno Smith has only proven himself as a volume pocket passer, failing against many bigger name schools though. The rest are lesser- than talents. I think the last couple draft classes have really thrown people off, because of the instant success many of the top QB selections had right out the gate.

I don't necessarily think whatever team Mallett gets traded to, will be an instant hit by any means. I do think though that his size, arm-strength, accuracy, and experience playing behind Brady, is far more appealing than going "all-in" with a top 10 pick on Matt Barkley. There are too many teams that are literally a QB away from being competitive, for them not to be willing to risk something for a talent like Mallett.

2nd round pick is possible, IMO, or at least our high 2nd rounder + Mallet to jump to a JAX or CLE 2nd rd spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Mallett in this draft is worth at best late 3rd round IMO. He's got brutal footwork, doesn't seem to progress his reads very quickly, has little touch on his passes. Nah.

I'm pretty sure BB knows he isn't the one, I wouldn't be shocked if he deals him and resigns Hoyer to be the back-up until BB finds the real McCoy over the next two years.
    Yeah, I agree with this. I just wonder how high Mallet's ceiling is if he were given the proper time and environment to develop. sd makes a good point pointing out that Brady's footwork was pretty "goofy" in his early days.

On a side note, does anyone else think Mallett looks kind of like a stereotypical villain?

vCash
    The Pat White reference was more implying that Geno Smith will be an absolute bust in the NFL, but cost some team a likely top 5-10 pick, instead of just a 2nd rounder. I'm aware of the very different offensive schemes WV runs now; but to say that Smith can't run is selling him short. Just because they chose to confine him in the pocket and have him throw 35-50 times a game, doesn't mean he can't scramble and take off. The black QB comparison is all you man; well aware of Smith being more of a pocket passer. For whatever reason, his college stock as a QB is high....that is what baffles me.
    Ok my bad. I thought you were comparing the two style wise. I didn't say that Geno couldn't run, I said he wasn't going to bust huge runs off. Little 5-10 yard first downs, yea. I know he can move he just chooses not too. There was alot of plays this year where he could have gotten a first down with his feet and just threw it anyway. He is a pass first, run-only-if-he-needs-to QB. The black thing wasn't even me. That was said in the Draft forum, but I did agree with it tho.
    PSD Weekly Pick Em
    31-29

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVpatsfan View Post
    Ok my bad. I thought you were comparing the two style wise. I didn't say that Geno couldn't run, I said he wasn't going to bust huge runs off. Little 5-10 yard first downs, yea. I know he can move he just chooses not too. There was alot of plays this year where he could have gotten a first down with his feet and just threw it anyway. He is a pass first, run-only-if-he-needs-to QB. The black thing wasn't even me. That was said in the Draft forum, but I did agree with it tho.

No worries....I mean I did say RG3 factor, but I meant it as a perceived factor by NFL scouts and fans. Like I said, I think Smith is a bust in the making. People think he's going to be the next RG3, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernik type QB, but like you confirmed, the run/scramble is not a huge strength, it's there, but certainly not prevalent enough to separate his game from any other QB's in the draft this year. I am not a WV fan, but my best friend is, so I watched a few games this year. All I noticed, was "holy ****, does WV throw a ton!" Didn't really ever acknowledge Smith as a big-time playmaker. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Smith the successor to Pat White?

Do you think Smith deserves the top 5-10 pick projection he is getting, as someone who watched every game he played? Great stats as a college QB, but I attribute it to more simple volume, especially this year, where he was throwing in or around 50 times a game most games.

My logic was mostly based around that......if he is the apparent top QB prospect, and everyone else is a step or two beneath him, how does any NFL team feel truly confident simply selecting one of these guys in the draft to be their QB of the future? That is why I feel Malletts stock is higher than it could ever be, for that, and the other reasons I stated about FA's and expectations of previous draft classes.

vCash
    No worries....I mean I did say RG3 factor, but I meant it as a perceived factor by NFL scouts and fans. Like I said, I think Smith is a bust in the making. People think he's going to be the next RG3, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernik type QB, but like you confirmed, the run/scramble is not a huge strength, it's there, but certainly not prevalent enough to separate his game from any other QB's in the draft this year. I am not a WV fan, but my best friend is, so I watched a few games this year. All I noticed, was "holy ****, does WV throw a ton!" Didn't really ever acknowledge Smith as a big-time playmaker. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Smith the successor to Pat White?

Do you think Smith deserves the top 5-10 pick projection he is getting, as someone who watched every game he played? Great stats as a college QB, but I attribute it to more simple volume, especially this year, where he was throwing in or around 50 times a game most games.

My logic was mostly based around that......if he is the apparent top QB prospect, and everyone else is a step or two beneath him, how does any NFL team feel truly confident simply selecting one of these guys in the draft to be their QB of the future? That is why I feel Malletts stock is higher than it could ever be, for that, and the other reasons I stated about FA's and expectations of previous draft classes.
    To answer your questions without sounding like a homer. Yes he took over for Pat White. I think he does deserve the 5-10. He is deadly accurate and has a touch for the deep ball. The only knock I have on him is he gets into grooves where he stares down receivers and doesn't make his reads. WVU actually only had over 40 pass attempts 5 times this year. Most games were around 35~.
    PSD Weekly Pick Em
    31-29

vCash
    Brandon Jenkins is a DE out of Florida State that I'd like to take a look at in the second round of the draft. Chandler Jones has been a great all around player for us, but I'm not sure he's got that elite explosiveness off the edge. Ultimately, I think he might be better served being the DE that we play inside on passing downs (like Cunningham has been doing). Jenkins could be that speed rusher off the edge for the nickel package.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast