Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by se247042 View Post
    Baggs, thoughts on UGA LB Alec Ogletree?
    Obviously we'd need to trade up in the first to get him, but he is great in coverage and is fast. May end up projecting as a S, which wouldn't be terrible either

I've changed my mind, Ogletree is my #1 guy on the board for me
    Ogletree is a good player and I'd like to have him, but we'd need to move up and I think we have too many needs and too few picks to make that move. At the LB position, I think we can expect a smaller FA signing for a guy that can cover a bit and be a top backup to our 3 starters. Next year, when Spikes is a FA, we might see them be more aggressive at the position. For now though, I don't see it as a huge priority other than a depth guy who can cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    John Jenkins

6'4 / 360lb DT from Georgia

I may have a bit of a soft spot being that he's from one town over from me. Imagine him and Wilfork sitting in the middle? That's nearly 400lb of beef an online has to deal with

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Gregory is a smart player, but he doesn't have much physical skill. Rarely did I see him out of place, but he also isn't capable of making many plays. In a capped league you can't realistically expect to be perfect at every position though and if we had to I think we could manage with him at SS if we made other improvements on D
    As a 3rd S (SS/FS) Gregory is about a 4/10 league wide.

especially if Tavon Wilson makes a leap in year 2. I worry about him as a starting safety though. He seemed much better off early in the year when we were using him as a near the line player in sub packages. When he was forced to play as a starting deep safety, I thought he really struggled. Some of that is probably experience, but skill set is partially responsible too IMO. I think long term he probably projects better as a third safety than a starter.
    I don't think Wilson got many snaps after Talib got here, so pre-Talib outside of McCourty, and the emerging Dennard just before Talib got here - the secondary was awful. Wilson might have been the 3rd best DB before Talib.

I wouldn't take it as a bad sign that McCourty and Gregory were playing in front of a rookie. If Wilson turns out to be the 3rd S long term it wouldn't be too bad, and I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

I also predicted last year that the Pats were moving to a 5 DB defense with 3 CB's and 2 FS's, with some sub SS for goal line D. Wilson would fit in nicely into that sort of set-up. And Chung is going to be hitting the road because of his coverage skills, injuries, and expected contract.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    John Jenkins

6'4 / 360lb DT from Georgia

I may have a bit of a soft spot being that he's from one town over from me. Imagine him and Wilfork sitting in the middle? That's nearly 400lb of beef an online has to deal with

No question, that's a huge guy right there; but the more important question is can a guy that big penetrate effectively? Our problem is not size up front, it's our inability to penetrate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbean View Post
    No question, that's a huge guy right there; but the more important question is can a guy that big penetrate effectively? Our problem is not size up front, it's our inability to penetrate.
    This might be what the Pats were thinking when they signed Armond Armstead. He looks the part of a penetrator. Check out some of his highlights from USC and in the CFL. We may have gotten a real impact player.

PSD Patriots Forum Hall Of Fame Class Of 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbean View Post
    That's a great question and I think my thought is more he and Wilfork would open up the DE's to rush. With the size and strength of Wilfork and Jenkins teams would have to try and double team both or hope that the G/C could handle either 1v1.

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by griff141 View Post
    This might be what the Pats were thinking when they signed Armond Armstead. He looks the part of a penetrator. Check out some of his highlights from USC and in the CFL. We may have gotten a real impact player.
    I'm no scout but that tape from the CFL looked great!
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    I wouldn't take it as a bad sign that McCourty and Gregory were playing in front of a rookie. If Wilson turns out to be the 3rd S long term it wouldn't be too bad, and I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

I also predicted last year that the Pats were moving to a 5 DB defense with 3 CB's and 2 FS's, with some sub SS for goal line D. Wilson would fit in nicely into that sort of set-up. And Chung is going to be hitting the road because of his coverage skills, injuries, and expected contract.[/QUOTE]

bags, under that setup wouldnt wilson be an ideal safety for that alignment? assuming we resign talib and McCourty sticks as one of the FS (not unlikely in my opinion) doesnt it then make sense for wilson to start along with mccourty at safety next year? mccourty certainly has elite cover skills for the safety position and assuming you go with 3 cbs, i think you have the luxury of letting wilson develop coverage skills through in game experience due to relative strength in scheme derived pass coverage. this is all predicated upon BB drafting a CB and not a S, which would push DMC pack to CB and then presumably have you draftig a safety within the top 3 rounds or so to, eventually grooming him to start. I think starting wilson makes less sense in that alignment, that being said, i hope wilson will continue to improve with seasoning and eventually start. not wild about the value of a 3rd S in the second round when there were other useful players on the board. that being said, would anyone really be suprised if wilson fizzles out ala many of BBs 2nd round DBs before?

vCash
    ^Dowling may work in that 5db scheme. If Dennard,Talib,McCourtey,Wilson,Dowling could stay healthy then we just need to upgrade the DLine. We need a powerful player next to Wilfork.
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    rollins94:bags, under that setup wouldnt wilson be an ideal safety for that alignment? assuming we resign talib and McCourty sticks as one of the FS (not unlikely in my opinion) doesnt it then make sense for wilson to start along with mccourty at safety next year? mccourty certainly has elite cover skills for the safety position and assuming you go with 3 cbs, i think you have the luxury of letting wilson develop coverage skills through in game experience due to relative strength in scheme derived pass coverage. this is all predicated upon BB drafting a CB and not a S, which would push DMC pack to CB and then presumably have you draftig a safety within the top 3 rounds or so to, eventually grooming him to start. I think starting wilson makes less sense in that alignment, that being said, i hope wilson will continue to improve with seasoning and eventually start. not wild about the value of a 3rd S in the second round when there were other useful players on the board. that being said, would anyone really be suprised if wilson fizzles out ala many of BBs 2nd round DBs before?
    Oops, yeah I chopped that post up. I see Wilson as being a regular (if not starting) player over the next few years. He could be the 3rd S in a 2 S set-up, or a starter in the 5 DB set-up.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    i think john jenkins will go too high for the pats , to the cowboys or ven the steelers.i wonder if patterson slipped to 29 would the pats take a chance or is he the kinda project that brady just seems to have no patience for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    ^Dowling may work in that 5db scheme. If Dennard,Talib,McCourtey,Wilson,Dowling could stay healthy then we just need to upgrade the DLine. We need a powerful player next to Wilfork.
    I seriously doubt dowlings ability to stay on the field. IMO all you can count on him for this year is positional depth, if hes healthy he will likely produce, which would be great. but thus far his injury history in the league has been fairly dismal, unlike college when you could chalk it up to a few freak injuries/ abberations. I would absolutely prioritize another DB over a DT, as the pairing of Love to stop the run and Armstead as a pure situational pass rusher/ pcoket collapser seems to look good on paper. FWIW, if were to spend another pick on the DL, i would want it it be on an edge rusher. while the pass rush was better this year, upgrading it further with another high pick investment (getting a more complete player)/ or a lower round pure pass rusher would go a long ways towards fixing coverage problems. i expect a big bump from jones next year and hopefully he can stay healthy a bit more, but i dont think standing pat in that regard is a formula towards developing an above average rush. so many of the pats sacks this year, particularly in the 2nd half, were coverage sacks that this seems a pretty glaring need to me that is getting a bit overlooked.

vCash
    Here is some draft stuff by Bucky Brooks:

Offense

Defense

vCash
    I'm hoping that Dion Jordan slips in the draft due to the torn labrum. That could give New England a shot to select him, and he would be a perfect fit. Not only is he a good pass-rusher, but he also knows how to cover receivers in-space, and is far more advanced than most pass-rushers in that area coming out of college. It's probably a pipe-dream that he would fall that far though.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    McShay has Jonathan Cooper falling to us in his latest mock.

That would be pretty awesome

Thanks for the Memories Suarez!

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast