Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Power Rankings Thread

I like to check out Marc Stein's ESPN Power Rankings every Monday and I know some other outlets like Sports Illustrated have their own version. Sometimes it's nice to get an outside read on the team and where they rank, so discuss power rankings here.

Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings
    Last edited by topdog; 11-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.

vCash
    Stein dropped us 7 places this week... I was hoping for a little more optimism with being at .500

I'm more upset about the Pacers though who are 2-1 and drop one to accomodate a 5 place rise for the 1-1 Hawks. What is wrong with you Steiny-mo?

vCash
    His power rankings often factor in the foreseeable future, whether thats the right way to do it or not. Could you post a link by the way?

Honestly I don't have a problem with where we are ranked because we are pretty mediocre AT BEST right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P Harvy View Post
    His power rankings often factor in the foreseeable future, whether thats the right way to do it or not. Could you post a link by the way?

Honestly I don't have a problem with where we are ranked because we are pretty mediocre AT BEST right now.
    Link is added.

Usually, I think he does a decent job, but my issue is that these rankings seem very inconsistent with Milwaukee and New York jumping 14 and 12 spots respectively (with 2-0 records). How can you give the Bucks 14 spots and have them jump 2-1 teams who are better teams and will be in the foreseeable future?

Like I said, I'm more confused/baffled/annoyed at my East team (the Pacers) being 2-1 and having teams with worse records and less likely fortunes knock them down (Atlanta 1-1 and Bucks 2-0)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Link is added.

Usually, I think he does a decent job, but my issue is that these rankings seem very inconsistent with Milwaukee and New York jumping 14 and 12 spots respectively (with 2-0 records). How can you give the Bucks 14 spots and have them jump 2-1 teams who are better teams and will be in the foreseeable future?

Like I said, I'm more confused/baffled/annoyed at my East team (the Pacers) being 2-1 and having teams with worse records and less likely fortunes knock them down (Atlanta 1-1 and Bucks 2-0)
    I mean you're right, it is pretty stupid. How from 2 games of play do the bucks jump 14 spots? I mean I don't know.

I think the majority of the time he just bullshits it anyway and doesn't put much thought into it.. At least thats what I would do if I had that job.

vCash
    Power rankings are Blah and change week to week.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

vCash
    He is kind of right. Watching Love and Rubio during timeouts in street clothes is completely depressing. We have depth on this team to surround those two, but without them, we are going to be lucky to be .500 when they get back.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Think about it though. Lakers are at 17 I think? Everyone knows that they are a top 3-4 team, so looking power rankings this early is a waste or time. I'd give it at least a month before I started paying attention these.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

vCash
    My issue is that I generally find Stein's power rankings fairly credible. He doesn't usually allow good or bad weeks for teams to shift the overall rankings more than 5+/-. This week, he is incredibly inconsistent rewarding 2-0 teams with dramatic rises while not even giving San Antonio a single place higher after a perfect 3-0 week.

That's my quarrel with our ranking as well. I understand that our outlook isn't very good, but the Bucks' outlook isn't much better and they jolt to the top, while Atlanta at an equal record gets pushed up for defeating a searching OKC team, meanwhile, we lose 7 places.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    My issue is that I generally find Stein's power rankings fairly credible. He doesn't usually allow good or bad weeks for teams to shift the overall rankings more than 5+/-. This week, he is incredibly inconsistent rewarding 2-0 teams with dramatic rises while not even giving San Antonio a single place higher after a perfect 3-0 week.

That's my quarrel with our ranking as well. I understand that our outlook isn't very good, but the Bucks' outlook isn't much better and they jolt to the top, while Atlanta at an equal record gets pushed up for defeating a searching OKC team, meanwhile, we lose 7 places.
    That's why power rankings in the first 2-3 weeks don't hold much credibility - there just isn't enough of a sample size to determine a trend, so I am going to wait until week 4 PR to see how he does. But he is on point with our ranking for sure, and I don't see us getting much higher than 20 until Love is back.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

vCash
    Wolves move back up to 17 (where they were in the pre-season edition). Fair enough, but it still bugs me that Denver rises up 14 places with a 4-3 record and of course the Bucks fell 10 places because they never had any business being at 4.

Sidenote: I'm glad we didn't have to read about injuries again in the comment.

vCash
    We're 17th in the power rankings? That seems way to low imo.

Even with our two stars out this team is very good. I'd like to see us around 12

vCash
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...ey-this-season

cbs's updated today. #7, with the following quote:

The more people they're injured, the more they win. If Pekovic stabs a teammate in the leg or something by accident, they're going 73-9.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Haha that is pretty good. Dang 7 is way higher then I thought we would be at the beginning of the year. Just think what we would be like if we were completely healthy..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    Haha that is pretty good. Dang 7 is way higher then I thought we would be at the beginning of the year. Just think what we would be like if we were completely healthy..
    well, the winning is distracting us, but yeah, if our defense doesn't suffer that bad with Love eating up Dante and Stiemsma's minutes (I think Rubio over Luke/JJ offsets it), we are going to be a really, really tough out come playoff time for any team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast