Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

12 or more teams would be interested in Dickey

12 or more teams would be interested in Dickey

In the event the Mets decide to trade R.A. Dickey, 12 or more teams could be interested, major league executives recently told Andy Martino of the Daily News.

“It makes sense that they would think about selling high on him,” a National League talent evaluator told Martino. “There would obviously be a lot of interest.”

Martino says associates believe is genuine in his desire to retain Dickey. However, while he is open to other viewpoints, “there is far more talk about dangling the popular ace than Jon Niese, another pitcher who rivals say would draw significant interest.”
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/12-or-m...etsBlog.com%29

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I'm sure we can start a bidding war between them and get back a great haul.

vCash

Please Sandy, get us a great return!!! Don't throw a ton of money at Dickey please, we need young talent. Glad it looks like they are more willing to deal Dickey than Niese.

vCash
    Obviously, the C of D would be heartbroken if Robert Allen were traded. I still maintain they're better off keeping him. But the Mets are certainly correct in entertaining offers. For the right deal, anyone is tradeable.

I'm just curious as to what that "right deal" is going to look like.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Obviously, the C of D would be heartbroken if Robert Allen were traded. I still maintain they're better off keeping him. But the Mets are certainly correct in entertaining offers. For the right deal, anyone is tradeable.

I'm just curious as to what that "right deal" is going to look like.
    I suspect it would be a bundle of really young guys with potential or a couple of top, major league ready players. Either way, the Mets should be getting some very good talent in return.

Hopefully we gte a power bat, preferably catcher or outfield, and maybe another pitcher to go along with Harvey and Wheeler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I suspect it would be a bundle of really young guys with potential or a couple of top, major league ready players. Either way, the Mets should be getting some very good talent in return.

Hopefully we gte a power bat, preferably catcher or outfield, and maybe another pitcher to go along with Harvey and Wheeler.
    It would be great if we can restock the team with young talent and big upsides as opposed to older talent with large backsides.

I doubt it will happen.

Remember, the only team that will trade for Dickey would be one that can sign him to an expensive extension. Since they'd already be paying a king's ransom for Dickey, what makes you think they'd be willing to empty out their minor leagues for him?

The Mets got Johan Santana in his prime for Carlos Gomez, Phillip Humber, and another pitcher whose name i cant spell or pronounce. What makes you think the Mets are going to get considerably more for Robert Allen?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    It would be great if we can restock the team with young talent and big upsides as opposed to older talent with large backsides.

I doubt it will happen.

Remember, the only team that will trade for Dickey would be one that can sign him to an expensive extension. Since they'd already be paying a king's ransom for Dickey, what makes you think they'd be willing to empty out their minor leagues for him?

The Mets got Johan Santana in his prime for Carlos Gomez, Phillip Humber, and another pitcher whose name i cant spell or pronounce. What makes you think the Mets are going to get considerably more for Robert Allen?
    Gomez and Humber were two very highly touted, major league ready prospects. They weren't our best, but they were up there. Guerra was young but supposedly had great stuff. And Mulvey was similar but injuries got to him. I think Gomez and Humber would be useful to the Twins now if they were still there lol.

vCash

I doubt it will happen.

No one besides us wanted the often injured pitcher. Dickey is a workhorse, and relatively cheap.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash

I doubt it will happen.

Like I've said before, there were plenty of teams in the past who have given up their tippy top prospects for pitchers who were only a half year rental who wouldn't even resign with the team. I'm sure there's one GM who would gladly give up some good young talent for Dickey, a pitcher who could put his team over the top.

Plus he's not going to cost them 5 years, 100MM. He's expecting a Perez like, 3 years 36 million dollar deal. Any team willing to spend would gladly pay that.

vCash
    Well.. what Gio Gonzalez cost? I would think the asking price should be in that neighborhood!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    I mean who doesn't want an Ace making 5 million bucks this year?

If 12 or more teams are interested someone will definitely overpay.

This is a league where there are plenty of teams want to win now, the Mets aren't one of them going into next season so if there is a great haul out there for Dickey, go get it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    No one besides us wanted the often injured pitcher. Dickey is a workhorse, and relatively cheap.
    Yeah, I'm sure no one wanted a legit ace that pitched 900 innings in the 4 seasons prior to being traded to the Mets. To call him oft injured is just plain false. Santana at the time was definitely better than Dickey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure no one wanted a legit ace that pitched 900 innings in the 4 seasons prior to being traded to the Mets. To call him oft injured is just plain false. Santana at the time was definitely better than Dickey.
    We know at least the Yankees certainly did.

They just didn't want to part with Hughes as the cornerstone of that deal.

The Twins made a bad move and Bill Smith (the Twins GM) has had a history of making some questionable moves like giving Joe Mauer 8 yrs/184 million dollars.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    The Yankees Balked, as did the Red Sox because of the salary and talent that was wanted. The Mets won through attrition. And because of his small stature teams felt he was an injury risk, he had a tear in his elbow in 2001 and in 2003 he had season ending surgery to remove bone chips in his shoulder. He has been injured every season with the Mets.

As for being better than Dickey, he was. But Dickey isn't looking for a 130+ million dollar contract, nor is he making 13.5 million this coming season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I mean who doesn't want an Ace making 5 million bucks this year?

If 12 or more teams are interested someone will definitely overpay.

This is a league where there are plenty of teams want to win now, the Mets aren't one of them going into next season so if there is a great haul out there for Dickey go get it.
    I agree with this post. Well said Metswon69.

Im a Yankees fan but I hadn't seen this rumor before lurking on here and I'd like to give my two cents...

If the Mets can get a trade in the works for RA Dickey, especially with 12 teams interested that means one team will overpay through the nose for his services.

It's like fishing. When you have many fish circling the bait there is ultimately always one fish who gets greedy and grabs onto the hook before all of the others.

Dangling RA Dickey to opposing teams would be like casting a line into the water.

Alderson is your fisherman, Mets fans. He can cast his line into the water or he can pack up, hold onto his bait, and head home. I think he should test the ocean and see which fish bites.

The Mets main focus both market wise and fan wise is too retain David Wright.

After that, Dickey will also need to be extended but investing too much money into both players will not allow for financial flexibility in other areas of importance.

By trading Dickey, the Mets will sell high on him and bring a ton back.

It's what needs to be done to build this team into a winner in the future.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast