Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash

Bora$$ on the Mets

I guess you have to say he knows a little.

Not in the quoted part but I love his comment on Fielder's size... being 5"11" means a small strike zone...frickin guy can spin it, made me lol.

But the Mets will not be bidding on Fielder. Neither will another large-market team in financial disarray, the Los Angeles Dodgers. Fielder’s agent, Scott Boras, had to concede the obvious.

“Normally they’re in the steak section,” Boras said, “and I find them in the fruits and nuts category.”

Boras loves colorful analogies in his annual winter meetings scrum with the writers, so I asked how the Mets could start shopping for steaks again.

“They have a new ballpark, they have a great network,” Boras said. “The business plan and model is one of the best in baseball. They’ve got a huge market. If the franchise was for sale in totality, there would be many, many people lining up. It has everything an owner would want to be successful.”

But the Mets are not successful, on the field or off. After losing Jose Reyes to the Miami Marlins this week, Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson said the organization had lost $70 million. Boras’ answer seemed to imply that the Mets should sell the team. Is that what he meant?

“The Wilpons built the foundation, and they did it in a very business-savvy approach and manner, having their own R.S.N.,” he said, referring to the regional sports network SNY, “having an ownership that owns the majority of that and having a major league team to go with it and having the market of New York City.”

“It’s really a fail-safe for success,” he added. “I know that there’s issues that may arise, but this issue will be resolved, and the foundation is there to restore them to one of the more competitive and aggressive franchises in baseball.”
    http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/1...-thrifty-mets/
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    “Normally they’re in the steak section,” Boras said, “and I find them in the fruits and nuts category.”

Boras loves colorful analogies in his annual winter meetings scrum with the writers, so I asked how the Mets could start shopping for steaks again.

“They have a new ballpark, they have a great network,” Boras said. “The business plan and model is one of the best in baseball. They’ve got a huge market. If the franchise was for sale in totality, there would be many, many people lining up. It has everything an owner would want to be successful.”

I don't like Boras, but he nailed this.

vCash
    In other words... Madoff just effed us up for one season and the one off season in which we had our biggest market guy up as a free agent... We will be back to a big market team next season after the Wilpons are either cleared of the Madoff mess or found guilty in which case they would most likely have to sell the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post

I don't like Boras, but he nailed this.
    My hopefully operative phrase...

“It’s really a fail-safe for success,” he added. “I know that there’s issues that may arise, but this issue will be resolved, and the foundation is there to restore them to one of the more competitive and aggressive franchises in baseball.”

I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    "Fruits and Nuts"????

One of them is gay????

Jeez louise, what next?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nykmgr View Post
    In other words... Madoff just effed us up for one season and the one off season in which we had our biggest market guy up as a free agent... We will be back to a big market team next season after the Wilpons are either cleared of the Madoff mess or found guilty in which case they would most likely have to sell the team.
    How do you figure they only "effed" us up for one off season? Have you been paying attention?

We have seen a team run like a AAA or worse team for the last two seasons, and it does not look like that is ending any time soon.

vCash
    If we had just only stuck to overpaying Boras' clients we would have been fine. Unfortunately we handed 18 million a year to Jason Bay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    If we had just only stuck to overpaying Boras' clients we would have been fine. Unfortunately we handed 18 million a year to Jason Bay.
    It's $16 million per year. Bay's bonus was paid up front. Some web sites have applied the bonus to the term of the contract and pro-rated it per year so that it looks like he makes $18 million/year in their spread sheet...but it's really only $16 million from 2011 through 2013. I know this is fact because I contacted the guy who runs Cots Baseball Contracts and he said he did the spread sheet that way because it's how the Commissioner's office calculates luxury tax, but in reality Bay's bonus monies were paid in 2010.

You probably didn't care, but I wanted the record to be accurate.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-08-2011 at 11:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    It's $16 million per year. Bay's bonus was paid up front. Some web sites erroneously have applied the bonus to the term of the contract and pro-rated it per year so that it looks like he makes $18 million/year...but it's only $16 million from 2011 through 2013.

Just for the record.
    You are right.

Cots is one site who pro rates bonuses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    How do you figure they only "effed" us up for one off season? Have you been paying attention?

We have seen a team run like a AAA or worse team for the last two seasons, and it does not look like that is ending any time soon.
    Actually it was Boras who said we would be out of the steak section for one season. I was being facetious... I am still amazed that MLB hasn't forced the Wilpons to sell for even being involved in the way that they were in the biggest scam in American History. I am praying that they loose everything on March 11th and are forced to sell to Mark Cuban... He would make us winners in no time...

vCash
    From you lips to God's ears.

I agree, the Three Stooges are doing worse than Frank McCourt ever did, but THEY get millions in bailout money from their *** clown Bud Selig.

The SEC should check into THAT transaction.

Kidding, but you get my point...

vCash
    If we ever sell the team Scott is gonna be our realitor! Champion Caliber Team with the capability to draw 10 million fans DAILY. Owned by a Father and Son who justed missed out on winning it all. Unbelieveable earning potential. Greatest finiancial consultant availible for turning a profit Bernie Made-Off.

So it goes with Boras all building things up to make a profit someday on the next big free agent to sell us. Comes with a warning, please remember OLLIE!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nykmgr View Post
    Actually it was Boras who said we would be out of the steak section for one season. I was being facetious... I am still amazed that MLB hasn't forced the Wilpons to sell for even being involved in the way that they were in the biggest scam in American History. I am praying that they loose everything on March 11th and are forced to sell to Mark Cuban... He would make us winners in no time...
    Cuban? Maybe you should take a closer look at what is going on down there in Dallas.

Don't bother with the I don't care just give me Championship BS. The line would be out the door and down the street with people who could spend lavishly AND do things correctly.

vCash
    Cuban is an easy choice for casual fans who just want a guy who's excited about the team and willing to spend. But the same could have been said about the Wilpons prior to this Madoff and massive debt mess.

I actually think Cuban runs his team very well, however. He's making a tactical error by freeing up cap space for next summer when the likelihood of any of the big-ticket players actually making it to free agency is very slim, but otherwise he's a very good owner.

But he's probably not the best choice, and we'd certainly have enough qualified suitors if we were selling the team whole--which is exactly what Boras is advocating in that interview.

vCash
    Brian Costa ‏@BrianCostaWSJ

Boras on whether Mets still shopping in fruits & nuts section of free-agent store "Best you can say is they might be in the freezer section"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast