Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What route should we take if we replace Christian Ponder at QB?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who said anything about replacing Christian Ponder?

16 27.59%
  • Draft the best QB available in the 2013 draft even if we need to trade up to #1 to get him.

9 15.52%
  • Draft a 1st round QB but don't trade up.

3 5.17%
  • Draft a QB somewhere after the 1st round.

8 13.79%
  • Trade for a QB.

9 15.52%
  • Sign someone in free agency.

10 17.24%
  • Joe Webb can start because he's better anyways.

3 5.17%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    I like the idea of at least finding a competent back up if we are gonna stick it out with Ponder the rest of this year and next. A few posts back someone mentioned McCoy. I really like that idea. He probably could be got for cheep. I really wanted us to draft him when he came out and was pissed when chilly passed on him so many times. Another person I think we could get for cheep in the same mold as McCoy is Kellen Moore(sp?). He is younger than McCoy but, I think very comparable. Both players would make good back ups and could potentially push Ponder for the starting spot next year if there is an open competition. Plus both would only cost us a late round pick or maybe two, which still affords us the opportunity to use our top picks for playmakers at positions of need like WR and OL. Also both players contracts would be extremely cheep, allowing us to spend more in the FA market to fill any areas of need that we can. Oh by the way this scenerio would work best if we send Musgrave packing. That guy is worthless. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I would say no to both of those guys, Kellen Moore has shown that he just barely has the arm strength to play in the NFL. We can question Ponder's deep ball all we want, however he has launched bombs before, look at his first career pass to Jenkins (which was about 40-50 yards through the air) and his pass to everybody's favorite rookie wide out Jarius Wright. I'm kind of meh on McCoy although I will admit that its very possible that he could have succeeded on a better team. I will say that after last night I don't want Campbell anywhere near this team, however that might be too hasty because I think he could perform better behind a good offensive line (i.e. ours if we get some better guards in there, especially at LG). The same could easily be true for a guy that most people are not going to like. You can say lots of things about him and his windmilling arm, however from what I saw of him last Sunday night, I think that Byron Leftwich has the strongest arm in the NFL. With the right personnel in place that guy could lead a high-flying vertical "death from above" type offense, it made me think back to Jeff George launching artillery to Moss in 1999. He also knows Musgrave from their time together in Jacksonville.

One last thing I will say in defense of Musgrave, on a strategic level (what he has been trying to do with Ponder to make the best of a bad situation at WR) I kind of applaud what the guy is doing, however tactically (in-game play calling) sometimes he's doing stuff where you just look at it and say wha-f*#$. One other thing I will say is that before the game vs. Detroit, he basically said "Look, we've had problems with the passing game, we've taken steps to correct this and we expect IMMEDIATE RESULTS." It looks like he got them and I have to say that when you consider that Percy didn't play at all, this was a brilliant game by Ponder.

As far as his ceiling goes, Matt Shaub would is a nice comparison, another would be Alex Smith when he's playing well, but I feel that we can rely more on Ponder to pass the ball than the 9ers do on Smith. Another guy to look at is Andy Dalton right now, 39-59 passes for 429 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs in the past 2 weeks. I feel like Ponder could achieve those numbers if he had AJ Green to throw to. Overcoming that cold streak he had is going to be very important for his future as a starting QB and hopefully he learned a lot from it.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Ponder is our guy and i think with time and maturation he can lead us to the playoffs pretty often in the future

With that being said i can only imagine what Phillip Rivers would look like on an offense with a run game like ours, an athletic freak at tight end like ours, and a check down offense like ours

vCash
    Ponder is the 2nd coming of Rich Gannon... if we ditch him like a lot of you are suggesting, he will be lighting it up on an intelligent franchise within 3 years. I can understand the skepticism... if I see another 1-step-drop-loft-it-down-the-sideline-and-pray-pass... im kicking a hole in the middle of my T.V., but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water just yet... this kid if going to come around.

Its a tough situation with making changes in the offense. If we replace Musgrave (which seems like a great idea, seeing as he has not shown any signs of being someone you dread to gameplan against... ie: Payton, McDaniels, Harbaugh), then Ponder and the rest of the O are hitting reset in growing to a point of mastery within a system... we dont want to pull an Alex Smith on this kid.

I think Percy being out was the best thing possible for our offense, as it forced Ponder/Musgrave to spread the ball around. If we continue to see ball movement and play calling like against Detroit... Ponder has a chance to be great. If the magical voice in his ear is calling bubble screens and 1-step-drop-grenade-tosses all day... we're f'd in the a.

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    I would be very happy if we could get Ryan Fitzpatrick as our back up. I've always been a big fan of him. However, I can't see him wanting to sign here. I see him signing with a team where he has a legit chance to start opening day. He won't have that here.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I don't think we can trade for Fitzy or even afford that contract, he likely will stay with the Bills. Looking at the FA guys avb I would be content with a guy like Matt Moore. However looking past him the best guy is probably Tarvaris Jackson which will never happen. Not a lot of guys out there.
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    By the way, with the shoulder injury it's very possible Barkley drops out of the top 10, so there will be some people crying for us to trade up if Ponder goes into a huge slump again, really I would be against that but I can't form my opinion until after this three game stretch coming up and really until the end of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ellesmeire View Post
    By the way, with the shoulder injury it's very possible Barkley drops out of the top 10, so there will be some people crying for us to trade up if Ponder goes into a huge slump again, really I would be against that but I can't form my opinion until after this three game stretch coming up and really until the end of the season.
    I don't care what kind of slump we get into, no WAY we trade up and draft Barkley, would set the franchise back a decade.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I have as much interest in Matt Barkley as I do in bringing Tarvaris back as our starter.......ok, a lil bit more

........but I will be P'D if we draft him AT ALL...let alone move up to get him

I don't think QB is a draft need anyway.....

I just think Barkley will be another in a long line of USC QBs who look good at the college level...but just don't translate at the pro level because they don't immediately have the stud receivers they had in college.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Barkley is like the 12th rated QB in college football. I think he's a 2-3 rd pick.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 0 , Yards: 0 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Sink or swim, Ponder is our guy for at least this year and the next. Every QB is going to struggle at some point. Just gotta believe that Ponder can learn to play well consistently. What we really should be talking about is an alternative for Charlie Johnson or Jasper Brinkley.
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!

vCash
    People seem ******** here, he's a prototypical NFL QB, hes not getting out of the top 15. It seems people don't understand the NFL quite yet, having said that I never said I would agree, but there could be people calling for him or Tyler Wilson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ellesmeire View Post
    People seem ******** here, he's a prototypical NFL QB, hes not getting out of the top 15. It seems people don't understand the NFL quite yet, having said that I never said I would agree, but there could be people calling for him or Tyler Wilson.
    There have been people calling for it since last year as soon as we drafted Ponder because he was a reach and his arm was too weak for him to ever succeed, its not something new. I also wouldn't say that Barkley is a prototypical NFL QB at all (that would have to go to Andrew Luck), personally I do find him to be very overrated (think Mark Sanchez 2009) although that's not to say that he won't ever make it in the NFL.

What I find most objectionable is that if trade up to get a guy like that and scrap Ponder, not only are we flushing the pick we spent on Ponder down the tubes, but now we have another rookie QB who's going to have to learn and make rookie mistakes all over again. I think we can make much better use of those draft picks that we'd be spending to land a guy like Barkley actually making the team BETTER by landing a stud WR, DT, G or maybe even MLB (even though this isn't a strong QB class its going to take a few picks to get up into the top 10 where we'll have a shot at a guy like that). Even assuming that the guy is a better QB than Ponder right out of the gates, I'm very hesitant to say that it would justify the holes its going to create in other parts of our roster by no longer having those early round draft picks.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I would be very happy if we could get Ryan Fitzpatrick as our back up. I've always been a big fan of him. However, I can't see him wanting to sign here. I see him signing with a team where he has a legit chance to start opening day. He won't have that here.
    This is what I want. I think the Bills might cut him outright in the offseason to shed the contract. I don't want to trade for any QB, that seems highly unlikely.

Also wanted to comment on Colin Kaepernick, this is the guy I wanted us to draft at 12 instead of Ponder. Many people in here didn't want him because we already had Webb.... The move of Harbaugh going to Kaepernick will be a Bill B. to Brady esc. move...

Also in last years draft I wanted R. Wilson. And years ago when Fitzpatrick was an unknown I wanted to go with him in the early Chilly era.

Just saying I can scout QB's, and I have serious doubts about Ponder....

So since I just gave you my QB scout resume I want to again say something about A. Murray. The guys a stud and we could probably get him in the 3rd round. Kaep. picked apart the Bears, finding other guys other then his main read. This is my big beef with Ponder, that and he holds the ball to long. A. Murray is also really good at going through his progression and he has great accuracy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloInfinity View Post
    This is what I want. I think the Bills might cut him outright in the offseason to shed the contract. I don't want to trade for any QB, that seems highly unlikely.

Also wanted to comment on Colin Kaepernick, this is the guy I wanted us to draft at 12 instead of Ponder. Many people in here didn't want him because we already had Webb.... The move of Harbaugh going to Kaepernick will be a Bill B. to Brady esc. move...

Also in last years draft I wanted R. Wilson. And years ago when Fitzpatrick was an unknown I wanted to go with him in the early Chilly era.

Just saying I can scout QB's, and I have serious doubts about Ponder....

So since I just gave you my QB scout resume I want to again say something about A. Murray. The guys a stud and we could probably get him in the 3rd round. Kaep. picked apart the Bears, finding other guys other then his main read. This is my big beef with Ponder, that and he holds the ball to long. A. Murray is also really good at going through his progression and he has great accuracy.
    I feel that I need to interject here. You did convince me with Kapernick that he could have been someone for us to go after in the 2011 draft, however he has one good game, its a little bit early to crown him as the next Tom Brady. Matt Flynn started one great game against Detroit, now Seattle paid him $19 million and he's riding the pine. Go farther back and look at Rob "Robo-Sack" Johnson and his legacy with the Buffalo Bills (who signed him after one great game in Jacksonville). $25 mil and we all know how that turned out.

We're going to undermine the team if we use top draft picks on a QB (especially one that's not likely to see the field, if we're replacing Ponder we're not going to be doing it with a 3rd round pick). I'd much rather see us pick up a new LG or maybe even a complementary DB to go with Cook, Robinson and Smith, especially since this COULD be Winfield's last season.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    There is this thing called sample size. You can't say after 1 game that the guy is going to be better then Ponder. Truthfully I was a big fan of him coming out too. Also you cant judge a qb until after his second season and you probably shouldn't do it until there 3rd season. So when looking at Russel Wilson you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast