Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What route should we take if we replace Christian Ponder at QB?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who said anything about replacing Christian Ponder?

16 27.59%
  • Draft the best QB available in the 2013 draft even if we need to trade up to #1 to get him.

9 15.52%
  • Draft a 1st round QB but don't trade up.

3 5.17%
  • Draft a QB somewhere after the 1st round.

8 13.79%
  • Trade for a QB.

9 15.52%
  • Sign someone in free agency.

10 17.24%
  • Joe Webb can start because he's better anyways.

3 5.17%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Really man really may I ask which of those qualities you saw? Guess he was accurate on a two yard bubble screen that Harvin would get 15 yac on
    I saw every single one of those qualities in the first four or five games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Let's let somebody with some actual knowledge of this team shine some light on Mr. Ponder:

@TomPelissero: The volume of "fire/bench everyone" emails/tweets makes evident many #Vikings fans have lost the plot. This team wasn't built for '12.

‏@TomPelissero: Second-year QB passer ratings: Dalton (86.7), Ponder (82.0), Gabbert (78.4), Newton (77.7). Life's not easy when defenses get a book on you.

@TomPelissero: That's not to say all of those QBs will end up being successes or none of them will. But patience is a virtue at the position.

@TomPelissero: Today was Ponder's 19th NFL start. Here's another QB's stat line in 19th start: 12-of-31, 152 yards, 2 INTs, 27.9 rating. Anyone know who? (Eli Manning)

@TomPelissero: Not saying Ponder is Eli Manning. But that guy was booed for 3.5 years, now has 2 rings. Patience is a virtue. Instant success is rare

@TomPelissero: I'm not even defending Ponder. He has been brutal of late. But it's part of the bigger picture. The book isn't written on his career here.
    This. This has been the most level-headed thing I have read all day. Thank You, Tom Pelissero.

Yes, Ponder has been playing horribly lately, but it is still very early in his career. Mad fans and mad players (I'm disappointed in you Mr. Harvin), need to realize this is a process. I truly hope all the veterans are on board for this and realize that these things take time. The old vets I can understand cuz they only have so many years left in them, but the young stars that gripe need to just focus on themselves and keep getting better. Like I have always said: I'm in it for the long haul and I hope everyone else is with me! Lets go Vikes!

vCash
    I personally don't think Percy was pissed at Ponder. Some might have been because of Ponder but really I think Percy was angry at Musgrave. I mean is percy that bad that we can only run bubble screens and go routes with him. Percy is a wr let him run routes. Let him be like wes welker. Also in my opinion that play was going no where even if he caught it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    I personally don't think Percy was pissed at Ponder. Some might have been because of Ponder but really I think Percy was angry at Musgrave. I mean is percy that bad that we can only run bubble screens and go routes with him. Percy is a wr let him run routes. Let him be like wes welker. Also in my opinion that play was going no where even if he caught it.
    I can agree with that. Harvin is very talented and we need to use him in a more traditional sense, as far as WR goes.

vCash
    Never crossed ya'll mind that Fraiser and Musgrave realize Ponder is limited in what he can do so try to call plays accordingly.

vCash
    Yeah because throwing a 40 yard go route is so much easier then throwing a 3 yard crossing or a 6 yard slant.. How about comebacks Ponder has been great at throwing those to Jenkins but Harvin never runs it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Never crossed ya'll mind that Fraiser and Musgrave realize Ponder is limited in what he can do so try to call plays accordingly.
    It has but it is just as likely that Frazier believes whole-heartedly in Musgrave because he is the OC and Frazier being the Defense type of guy, leaves the O to him. Musgrave needs to use the intermediate and middle a lot more cuz yeah, you're right, Ponder doesn't have the best arm in the world. Which is why I find it baffling that Musgrave loves the Deep Out routes cuz those are one of the hardest patterns to hit. You literally need to rocket the ball in there, which we know isn't Ponder's forte.

Also, Musgrave's track record of being a bad OC is longer than Ponder's for being a poor QB.

vCash
    Yeah, likely what happens is we draft another WR and stick with Ponder another year, I won't be upset with that if he plays ok the rest of the way. He better not play like this **** I am seeing though.
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    So I just want to throw something out there that I have noticed so far with this thread. Right now the majority is with keeping Ponder as our QB, but lets put that aside for a moment. The #2 most popular choice is "Draft a QB somewhere after the first round". To those who picked that option I ask this question:

"In a draft that appears to be pretty thin when it comes to QB, who do you expect to draft in the 2nd round or later who can be a be a starter next year and have a shot at becoming a franchise QB?"

As far as I can see, the best QB that could be available to us in the middle of the 2nd round (I think we'll be drafting around 14-16 or so if this keeps up) is Tyler Bray who is not without his problems.

I do think we need a better backup QB, and would even be welcome to getting somebody to compete with Ponder, however I think there are better things we could use our 2nd round pick for, I'd much rather a free agent pickup.

In my opinion (and until someone presents me with a compelling argument with WHY we should take a new QB in the 2nd round or later and HOW he could give us a better shot at a long term solution than Christian Ponder or even other alternatives that could be available like Matt Moore or Jason Campbell) anybody who picked that choice didn't really think things through, they just want to get rid of Ponder because he's under-performing, we're loosing and its all his fault.

The other thing I want to hear about is if you think we should trade for someone, who do you think it should be, how much do you think we're going to pay for them or who we should sign in free agency.
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 11-06-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    So I just want to throw something out there that I have noticed so far with this thread. Right now the majority is with keeping Ponder as our QB, but lets put that aside for a moment. The #2 most popular choice is "Draft a QB somewhere after the first round". To those who picked that option I ask this question:

"In a draft that appears to be pretty thin when it comes to QB, who do you expect to draft in the 2nd round or later who can be a be a starter next year and have a shot at becoming a franchise QB?"

As far as I can see, the best QB that could be available to us in the middle of the 2nd round (I think we'll be drafting around 14-16 or so if this keeps up) is Tyler Bray who is not without his problems.

I do think we need a better backup QB, and would even be welcome to getting somebody to compete with Ponder, however I think there are better things we could use our 2nd round pick for, I'd much rather a free agent pickup.

In my opinion (and until someone presents me with a compelling argument with WHY we should take a new QB in the 2nd round or later and HOW he could give us a better shot at a long term solution than Christian Ponder or even other alternatives that could be available like Matt Moore or Jason Campbell) anybody who picked that choice didn't really think things through, they just want to get rid of Ponder because he's under-performing, we're loosing and its all his fault.

The other thing I want to hear about is if you think we should trade for someone, who do you think it should be, how much do you think we're going to pay for them or who we should sign in free agency.
    I'm so glad you asked....I almost couldn't finish reading your post before I started typing. I have just the guy in mind.

I think of myself as a good QB scout. Years ago I begged the Vikings on this forum to sign Fitzpatrick when he was a FA. At the time Fitzpatrick was a no name, he isn't the best QB in football but he's better then most thought he could be. Last year I wanted us to draft Wilson with a 5th, and a few years back I was praying Freeman would drop to us...

I think Bray could become an NFL QB but I don't like his accuracy or consistency. He's not ready for the NFL. I route for Ten.(since Manning) and Kansas St.(since Freeman). I would put money on Bray not coming out in next years draft anyway.

My ideal QB would be at least 6-4, 230, that can throw in tight windows, stands his ground in the pocket and can throw a strike just before getting hit. I could care less about how mobile he is... I just described to you P. Manning, and there isn't to many of those QB's available...

So when there is no P. Manning coming to rescue the Vikings, I have to look at QB's that have shown the ability to do that, even if they're not 6-5. And time in time again I fall in love with a less then ideal prospect. Fitzpatrick's arm is to weak, Wilson's to short, Freeman isn't accurate.

This year I'm hoping the Vikings draft A. Murray...I know he is to short, and I can't understand how short QB's see the field clearly, I even feel like Ponder is to small at times...But Georgia games have been on TV a lot this year and when I started watching Murray, more in September and then again last week. Murray reminds me of Stafford, more because of ball trajectory then athletically. Murray is probably in the Ponder range for athleticism. But Murray spreads the ball around, his accuracy reminds me of Wilson, but he has got a better deep ball and grasp of the game. Then I looked at the guys stats from years past and they were impressive.

Another guy to watch would be Tyler Wilson, although I'd take Murray over any QB in next years draft...

I also wanted to say this. I applaud those who support Ponder. That is not sarcasm. What happened that draft night was hard on a lot of Viking fans. I was so angry and disappointed. The average fan I talked to didn't know anything about Ponder, and they were optimistic that the Vikings had seen something others didn't. But the serious fans I talked to, well, most of them were laughing at me....at the Vikings....That was a weird year, the lockout and eight teams gunning for QB's. I really believe that was a panic draft for GM's that needed a QB.

I think there is something deeper going on here then the Ponder issue. And that is the All Day effect. Peterson is the best football player I've ever seen, I'm 26...He is a HOF RB that will go down as the best RB to play the game. RB window's are notoriously short, and we are all in a panic(the Ponder haters) to find Peterson a QB before we wake up one day and realize we failed to give that man a good shot at winning a Super Bowl. My worst fear for this team is that the Saints lose will be the closest shot Peterson gets at a title, and I am certain that Peterson blames himself for that lose. It needs to be avenged. To make things worse is we wisely drafted Harvin, giving us 2 top 5 offensive playmakers(not QB's), 2 great pass rushers, and Winfield who is playing lights out at 35 and never gets mentioned...

Ponder isn't the only problem with the Vikings....here is what I think is wrong...
    1. Ponder-all wrong
    2. DT and NT- K Williams isn't what he was and our once scary DT's are now non factors, allowing the focus to be turned to the LB's and DE's.
    3. LB's-I admit I can't scout LB's I don't have an eye for the position, but we've given up a 100 yard rusher 3 straight and to many times the past 24 games. Teams are grabbing exciting young LB's every year all over the draft and the Vikings have been missing out.
    4. WR's- Really more of a 1A reason then a 4, but we have no talent outside Harvin. We should be pissed at the GM for his drafting of CB's, LB's, and not taking WR's early enough. Packers got Jones and Jennings, great WR's. What do they do, draft Nelson in rd 1. Espn says, that's dumb. Tompson says Next year, Packers need defense, what do they do, draft Cobb in round 2. playmakers are premium.
    5. OC- Got to be a better OC out there, if you have a defensive coach you better have a great OC and we don't. How can we excpect Frazier to fix the offense.

If you don't want to draft a QB then at least get McCoy for a late pick. Tell the fans he will be you number 2 when he can really be 2014 Ponder insurance. If Ponder tanks at least McCoy is capable of running an offense and getting the ball out of his hands and into his playmakers

vCash
    I do like Murray, but I don't feel like spending a draft pick on the QB in the first 3 rounds is a good idea unless Ponder just sucks it up like this the rest of the year. That being said, Murray really wouldn't be much of an upgrade at this point and I say we ride out Ponder next year with a veteran FA like Matt Moore and draft a QB in 2014. Then he'll have a solid supporting cast if we do move away from Ponder.

vCash
    Plenty of quarterbacks could be available in the offseason
    As we get closer to the end of the regular season, and the coaching changes that inevitably will come with it, the fact that every coach wants his own quarterback could cause plenty of quarterbacks to be available via free agency or trade.

Itís already a given that the Eagles will part ways with Mike Vick shortly after the Super Bowl, in order to avoid having $3 million of his $15.5 million base salary in 2013 becoming guaranteed.

In Charlotte, as previously mentioned, a new G.M./coaching staff could ponder the possibility of trading Cam Newton (itís not likely, but itís possible). Likewise, the Jets (with or without Rex Ryan as the head coach) could trade or cut Tim Tebow or, possibly but not likely, Mark Sanchez.

In Buffalo, the search is on for a franchise quarterback. Which means that the current quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick, will likely be dumped before he earns another $3 million in March.

The Cardinals could be cleaning house at the quarterback position, with Kevin Kolb and/or John Skelton available. Ditto for the Chiefs, who seem destined to declare defeat with Matt Cassel.

The success of some of the quarterbacks could also put their backups in play, from Matt Flynn in Seattle to Matt Hasselbeck in Tennessee to Matt Moore in Miami, whose contract expires after this year.

And if the Ravens decide to play chicken with Joe Flacco, opting not to use the franchise tag in the hopes that he wonít get a better offer elsewhere, Flacco could be available if someone wants to outbid Baltimore.

Finally, if Jason Campbell does well in his stint as the starter in Chicago, he could find a suitor for a potential starting job on the open market.

So maybe teams wonít have to reach for rookie quarterbacks in the draft. They can reach instead via free agency or trade.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...the-offseason/

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coenthar View Post
    I want Tebow,,,,,I dont care what you say or how mad and sad you get over the thought. Right now anybody could pass better than Ponder...even Culpepper.
    No, no, no, and oh god no. You think Ponder is a bad passer? Tebow is at a minimum a 1000 times worse, plus he's a duschbag. Just sayin.
    Hey coach. Do you have ANY idea what you are doing?
    Thats what I thought.

vCash
    I like the idea of at least finding a competent back up if we are gonna stick it out with Ponder the rest of this year and next. A few posts back someone mentioned McCoy. I really like that idea. He probably could be got for cheep. I really wanted us to draft him when he came out and was pissed when chilly passed on him so many times. Another person I think we could get for cheep in the same mold as McCoy is Kellen Moore(sp?). He is younger than McCoy but, I think very comparable. Both players would make good back ups and could potentially push Ponder for the starting spot next year if there is an open competition. Plus both would only cost us a late round pick or maybe two, which still affords us the opportunity to use our top picks for playmakers at positions of need like WR and OL. Also both players contracts would be extremely cheep, allowing us to spend more in the FA market to fill any areas of need that we can. Oh by the way this scenerio would work best if we send Musgrave packing. That guy is worthless. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Hey coach. Do you have ANY idea what you are doing?
    Thats what I thought.

vCash
    I think finding a veteran backup/guy to push Ponder in the off season should be one of our major priorities behind DT and WR. There should be plenty of solid options available.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast