Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: What route should we take if we replace Christian Ponder at QB?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Who said anything about replacing Christian Ponder?

    16 27.59%
  • Draft the best QB available in the 2013 draft even if we need to trade up to #1 to get him.

    9 15.52%
  • Draft a 1st round QB but don't trade up.

    3 5.17%
  • Draft a QB somewhere after the 1st round.

    8 13.79%
  • Trade for a QB.

    9 15.52%
  • Sign someone in free agency.

    10 17.24%
  • Joe Webb can start because he's better anyways.

    3 5.17%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 260
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    551
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    When my point is any player consistently not doing his job shouldnt be able to keep it just because of his position it isnt pointless. Coaches would be clueless to leave a guy in that hurts the team game after game after game. Guess your the type of guy that has a broken toilet that wont flush you just keep crapping in it until it spills out on ya.
    Toilets?! We are talking about toilets? Not urinals or sinks, we talkin' bout toilets.... haha So dumb. Anyway, I'm actually the type of guy who believes you can't just quit on someone who is only in his 2nd year of playing in the NFL. It is exactly your kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place. For years the franchise has taken the stop-gap approach and brought in over-the-hill vets and never invested in a young QB. If Ponder still can't get the job done next year then yes, we need to move on. Exactly what half of the league is trying to figure out every year.

    Look, I know you are just frustrated by bad play right now, but that is a young pup we got starting for us at QB. If he were a 10 year vet that just wasn't getting the job done anymore then yeah, we should try out our back ups and see what they got. But right now we have a young QB who has shown flashes of being great, or even just competent. We are seeing what he can be capable of and if we can't afford him at least 3 seasons then we have become very impatient.
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!


  2. #167
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,554
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    Sanchez will be a good fit somewhere. Arizona would make for a nice spot for him. As far as Ponder goes, it's risky. I mean look at jacksonville with Gabbert and Henne.
    Henne has done very well in place of Gabbert. The thing with a QB who knows how to win is pure instincts. Sanchez needs to move but not here. He just is not the kind of QB we need. Ponder has looked Ok in some games but it seems he does not have the kind of Football smarts or tools you need as a QB in the Nfl. He can run and does have an ok arm but and here is a big BUT.. his arm is not the kind of bullet our style of play needs. I'll tell you who would fit and that's Joe Flacco.
    Great arm strength. goes through progressions. knows how to win.
    Ponder does not fit.
    This is so simple and the front office can not see this.
    Frazier is a good people coach and a good person, but as far as getting the right people in the right place, it's being left to spielman and it's not working. Spielman can draft and has made some good picks i'll give him that but we need a coach that knows a defence and an offence and listens to his cordinators and makes moves to get the right guy in the right spot. Look at NE. They have a system that is rock solid and finds these guys out of nowhere and plugs them in and change the game with talent.
    Joe Flacco is one of the most overrated QB's imo. Besides...I don't think Baltimore will let him go but even if they did I would pass due to the fact that his asking price would be way high. The problem with Ponder has been his decision making. He's been just a tad late on some of his reads. I think a lot of it is just hesitation which hopefully he can correct.

    Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,554
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    No, most people don't want one Ponder, why would we want two?

    I'm not saying Ponder won't improve and be a decent QB for a few years, but right now he needs to sit for the good of the team; maybe a little outside perspective will help him.
    True but 2 Ponders is better than 1 Ponder and Joe Webb...well maybe I guess, lol. I think Sanchez is better than what he has played in NY. But I also think there is a good chance Sanchez will end up somewhere like AZ.

    After this last game I thought maybe we should bench Ponder but after a few days I don't think so anymore. I'd be open to benching him if he performs poorly in this next game but then more than likely start him the following week. Denny Green did this at least 2 times to Culpepper to send him a message.

    Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natelpete View Post
    Says the guy who thinks Christian Ponder is the answer. I said it was unlikely but it's more realistic than getting Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, hell it's even more likely than Ponder becoming a franchise QB.
    My christ I'm getting sick of this with you people. Even if you give Romo the benefit of the doubt and blame most of his INTs on his receivers (saying nothing of his Favre-esque tendency to try to force them the ball at inopportune times)
    What do you think is going to happen if he's in Minnesota, throwing to our god-awful WRs? You know the same ones we can't replace with good talent since we pissed away our top draft picks to trade for Romo, who's $11.5 salary is going to make it that much harder for us to afford a good top dollar one in FA. I'll tell you what would happen, more INTs. Its OK though, because then we can blame Spielman for making a stupid trade and fire him and b*^%$ that Romo isn't a good QB, that's the ticket.

    Realistically we should not be trading for one of these guys who are starting right now because its just going to cost us too much in terms of draft picks, and what no longer having those picks will do to the future of the team.

    These guys aren't the cream of the crop but they are likely to hit the open market this off-season.

    #1 Michael Vick
    Personally I don't really like the guy, but I can't really see anybody trading for him and especially if we got a new LG and started Schwartz at RG, I can see him wanting to come here and play behind this line after the mauling he's taken in Philly the last two years. He's lucky if he has one good year left in him at this point though.

    #2 Carson Palmer
    There was a trade thread about him started by an Oakland fan a while back. I do not think trading for him would be a good idea (3rd round draft pick I believe is what they were talking about) however if we signed him in FA and didn't pay him a sh*& load of money I could live with that.

    #3 Kevin Kolb
    Not a Kevin Kolb fan either, I was glad we didn't trade for him the first time, but as pathetic as he's looked he's played behind an equally pathetic offensive line during his time in Arizona. I think he's a better QB than he's given credit for but that doesn't mean I'd necessarily like to see us sign him.

    #4 Matt Cassel
    No, just no. Nobody is going to trade for him and yes the Chiefs will cut him, but that doesn't mean that he's a good guy for us to sign. He was good in 2008 and 2010, but after this year nope we should keep on looking.

    These are the likeliest candidates to hit free agency of the possible guys that we could trade for. Alex Smith will get traded, sure its only a 2 day deadline but somebody will take him, he won't hit FA. Same with Ryan Fitzpatrick if the Bills decide to get rid of him. Matt Flynn would also be traded before he gets cut, although his value isn't what it was last year. Guys like Colt McCoy and Matt Hasselbeck will probably stay with the teams they're with right now.

    I've NEVER said that Ponder WAS the answer, however if he gets his play in order he certainly could be. All this B.S. about "Oh, he will never be a Super Bowl MVP QB." I say that when the time comes, he doesn't have to be. If our team keeps getting better like it did this year, its possible that Ponder (if he can get through this sh*^ and play well, like he has in past games this year) could make us very competitive in the NFC. The 49ers were a play away from the Super Bowl last year, looking at how the Pats played in that game too, I think the 9ers probably could have won it too, with Alex Smith at the helm no less. Not going to say our D is going to dominate like theirs did, but when we still had Cook early in the season, we were one of the best defenses in the league.

    I think we could really sure up our positions of weakness in this upcoming draft, possibly to the point that we're ready to go on a run as early as next year, with or without Ponder at the helm. As long as we use our draft picks for stuff we need, and not trading for someone else's starting QB. Land the best QB we can find in FA (but don't pay for anything crazy, which shouldn't be too hard looking at who's on the list) and open the starting job up for competition. Everyone hoping for Joe Webb, make it a three way competition and let him in on it too, more power to him if he wins.

    In conclusion I'd much rather see our team lead by Ponder, Carson Palmer or Vick w/ the addition of the best WR we can draft (not to mention whoever else we might be able to draft with the multiple picks we're not spending on Romo) vs. Tony Romo and whoever we can afford/find in the 3rd or so round.

    Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

    WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

  5. #170
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Land of the sun
    Posts
    3,480
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by niftynation11 View Post
    Toilets?! We are talking about toilets? Not urinals or sinks, we talkin' bout toilets.... haha So dumb. Anyway, I'm actually the type of guy who believes you can't just quit on someone who is only in his 2nd year of playing in the NFL. It is exactly your kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place. For years the franchise has taken the stop-gap approach and brought in over-the-hill vets and never invested in a young QB. If Ponder still can't get the job done next year then yes, we need to move on. Exactly what half of the league is trying to figure out every year.

    Look, I know you are just frustrated by bad play right now, but that is a young pup we got starting for us at QB. If he were a 10 year vet that just wasn't getting the job done anymore then yeah, we should try out our back ups and see what they got. But right now we have a young QB who has shown flashes of being great, or even just competent. We are seeing what he can be capable of and if we can't afford him at least 3 seasons then we have become very impatient.
    Haha yeah that was a crazy analogy...funny though right. Hey man I don't know whatever the team does I'm still a fan but dammit I just wanna have fun watching the game again. That doesn't have to be wins just show something some fight some heart some passion.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    551
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Haha yeah that was a crazy analogy...funny though right. Hey man I don't know whatever the team does I'm still a fan but dammit I just wanna have fun watching the game again. That doesn't have to be wins just show something some fight some heart some passion.

    I hear you dude. Our time will come. Guarantee.
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!


  7. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marble, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    2,087
    vCash
    1500
    Well there is a good chance that Rivers might be an option of the Chargers go on a rebuild with the firing of Norv Turner.......His could be good news for us.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    551
    vCash
    1500
    I just don't understand why people can't just wait and see how things turn out. Why does no one have patience anymore? Ponder has been in roughly 20 something games. That is a very small sample size. People who wanted to see improvements from him have gotten it from a few games where he played well. It really should not be a surprise to people when he struggles, its the nature of the game when dealing with young players. The beauty of the matter is we have ZERO effect on who our starting QB will be.

    The team is being built for the long run, just be patient. Also, Madden is a great way to feel like your team has accomplished something if you need instant gratification haha
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!


  9. #174
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by niftynation11 View Post
    I just don't understand why people can't just wait and see how things turn out. Why does no one have patience anymore? Ponder has been in roughly 20 something games. That is a very small sample size. People who wanted to see improvements from him have gotten it from a few games where he played well. It really should not be a surprise to people when he struggles, its the nature of the game when dealing with young players. The beauty of the matter is we have ZERO effect on who our starting QB will be.

    The team is being built for the long run, just be patient. Also, Madden is a great way to feel like your team has accomplished something if you need instant gratification haha
    The NFL stands for not for long if you don't do well.
    I'd be more inclined to be as patient as you if AP wasn't already in his 5th. year. And the average carreer for most RB's is 5 years. Granted AP is very special. Allen already isn't what he was last year. And Winfield is almost done.
    And none of the Ponder supporters will tell me just when will he be superbowl quality.
    Then you have to look at Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson and how well those rookies are playing.
    I wonder if Denver is regreting getting rid of there high profile young QB's 1ST. ROUNDER Tim Tebow, also Brady Quinn. and then replacing them with that old guy.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,225
    vCash
    1500
    Peyton Mannings and Brett Favres dont just happen every year. You can not constantly go with old qbs. Sometimes you actually have to draft young qbs and keep them like the Packers, Patriots, Bucs, lions, etc... Unless we want to just be like the raiders. Were we just keep trying to find a stop gap.

    I say it takes Ponder until his 4th or 5th year. To be in the upper echelon of qbs. Next year he will improve, but still show signs of being a young qb. This also all depends on what we put around him. That actually matters. I know some of you guys don't want to admit it, but it does have a big influence.

    I think Rg3 and Wilson will take a step back next year. Along with tannehill. I won't say Luck because I am to big of a fan. truthfully I can watch him all day.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mankato, Minnesota
    Posts
    6,231
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iowavike View Post
    The NFL stands for not for long if you don't do well.
    I'd be more inclined to be as patient as you if AP wasn't already in his 5th. year. And the average carreer for most RB's is 5 years. Granted AP is very special. Allen already isn't what he was last year. And Winfield is almost done.
    And none of the Ponder supporters will tell me just when will he be superbowl quality.
    Then you have to look at Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson and how well those rookies are playing.
    I wonder if Denver is regreting getting rid of there high profile young QB's 1ST. ROUNDER Tim Tebow, also Brady Quinn. and then replacing them with that old guy.
    So we can't draft their replacements? Old players leave and you draft new young players. I've never understood the argument "we are wasting their primes".

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    456
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    Peyton Mannings and Brett Favres dont just happen every year. You can not constantly go with old qbs. Sometimes you actually have to draft young qbs and keep them like the Packers, Patriots, Bucs, lions, etc... Unless we want to just be like the raiders. Were we just keep trying to find a stop gap.

    I say it takes Ponder until his 4th or 5th year. To be in the upper echelon of qbs. Next year he will improve, but still show signs of being a young qb. This also all depends on what we put around him. That actually matters. I know some of you guys don't want to admit it, but it does have a big influence.

    I think Rg3 and Wilson will take a step back next year. Along with tannehill. I won't say Luck because I am to big of a fan. truthfully I can watch him all day.
    So is it going to take Luck and RG3 5 years before they're good?
    At some point year to year I should think you have to see a fair amount of improvement. I can't say that Ponder is any better than last year.
    At some point a head coach and front office have to have the team show alot of improvement as well or they'll be out of a job. Most coaches don't get to suck for 4 or 5 years. That goes for QB's or any other position for that matter.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    551
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iowavike View Post
    Allen already isn't what he was last year.
    And none of the Ponder supporters will tell me just when will he be superbowl quality.
    Then you have to look at Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson and how well those rookies are playing.
    I wonder if Denver is regreting getting rid of there high profile young QB's 1ST. ROUNDER Tim Tebow, also Brady Quinn. and then replacing them with that old guy.
    1. Allen is playing with a ripped shoulder, of course he isn't the same.

    2. Ponder will be good next year. 3rd year QBs usually show the most improvement. If he isn't then yes, we should look for a new QB.

    3. Of course Denver doesn't regret having Manning. We loved Favre for one year. But there are no Mannings/Favres/anyone even remotely of that caliber available. And if it wasn't for a freak injury, Denver would have nothing to do with Manning right now. Btw, those same Broncos drafted a QB in the 2nd rd. to take Mannings place someday.
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!


  14. #179
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,574
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iowavike View Post
    So is it going to take Luck and RG3 5 years before they're good?
    At some point year to year I should think you have to see a fair amount of improvement. I can't say that Ponder is any better than last year.
    At some point a head coach and front office have to have the team show alot of improvement as well or they'll be out of a job. Most coaches don't get to suck for 4 or 5 years. That goes for QB's or any other position for that matter.
    That's where you have to take the blinders off. Right out of the gate this year, Ponder played better football than he ever had in the NFL. Go back and look at his first three games, compared to what the train-wreck of 2011 was like. The guy was one of the top 10 QBs in most passing statistics for the first 4 weeks of the year, but I guess that's not improvement.

    What's happening this year with the rookie QBs is going to skew what people's expectations are. If you expect guys like Barkley, Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson to have as much success in the NFL as rookies as Luck, RG*** and Russel Wilson are having right now, 2013 is going to be a long year for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by niftynation11 View Post
    1. Allen is playing with a ripped shoulder, of course he isn't the same.

    2. Ponder will be good next year. 3rd year QBs usually show the most improvement. If he isn't then yes, we should look for a new QB.

    3. Of course Denver doesn't regret having Manning. We loved Favre for one year. But there are no Mannings/Favres/anyone even remotely of that caliber available. And if it wasn't for a freak injury, Denver would have nothing to do with Manning right now. Btw, those same Broncos drafted a QB in the 2nd rd. to take Mannings place someday.
    And I'm right there with you too, we should even have some sort of alternative in place to compete with him this off-season. Ponder not coming out of this funk IS something that the team has to prepare for and a contingency plan must be in place. That said its still not time to give up on him, but if he doesn't look better going into next season its something that they NEED to be prepared to do. We're not prepared right now and that's probably one of the reasons that Ponder is still starting.

    Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

    WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,225
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iowavike View Post
    So is it going to take Luck and RG3 5 years before they're good?
    At some point year to year I should think you have to see a fair amount of improvement. I can't say that Ponder is any better than last year.
    At some point a head coach and front office have to have the team show alot of improvement as well or they'll be out of a job. Most coaches don't get to suck for 4 or 5 years. That goes for QB's or any other position for that matter.
    Luck is a special type of player. I am not in love with RG3 as much as everyone else, but his style of play is a lot different then Ponder so it matters what you think is good. Did I say he would suck for 4 or 5 years, no. I answered your question for when will Ponder be a super bowl quality qb. Truthfully that is when most qbs are fully developed. I never said he was going to suck until the 5th year. Maybe you should read you own question before you comment about my answer...

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •