Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Vikings interested in Donald Driver

Donald Driver - WR - Packers
    Jan 29 - 4:44 PM

Per Fox Sports Wisconsin, the Vikings are interested in impending free agent Donald Driver.

Driver, who turns 38 on Saturday, believes he can "go to any team and be either their No. 1 or No. 2 guy and be solid for another three years." That might be a bit of a stretch, but Driver has repeatedly said he'd like to play until he's 40. "The question is, do I want to see myself in another uniform? Will my family want to see that? I've always said I only want to wear that green and gold and nothing else," said Driver. Minnesota has just Percy Harvin and Jarius Wright as virtual locks for roster spots in 2013 at receiver.

Source: Fox Sports Wisconsin
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ayer-news?rw=1

Vikings have interest in Driver
    January 29, 2013

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Could Donald Driver play for the Minnesota Vikings next season?

According to a report from FOX 11 Sports in Green Bay, the Vikings are interested in signing the Packers' all-time leading receiver. Driver, who will turn 38 on Feb. 2, is an unrestricted free agent after spending all 14 of his NFL seasons in Green Bay.

Driver has a close working relationship with the news outlet reporting the story, having hosted the "Inside the Huddle" show at that station for nearly a decade. The report didn't cite specific sources, instead stating that they've "learned" that the Vikings have an interest in Driver, should he decide not to retire.

"I think I could go to any team and be either their No. 1 or No. 2 guy and be solid for another three years," Driver told FOX 11 two weeks ago. "The question is, do I want to see myself in another uniform? Will my family want to see that? If nobody wants to see it, at the end of the day, it will still be a tough decision because I've always said I only want to wear that green and gold and nothing else."

A week ago, USA Today reported that Driver was leaning toward retirement.

However, Driver has stated repeatedly over the past year that he'd like to play until he's 40 years old, which would mean a couple more seasons in the NFL. That potential opportunity to do so would not be with the Packers considering that Driver was rarely used this season, catching only eight passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns.

Driver, the winner of "Dancing with the Stars" a year ago, has plenty of non-football-related offers in the entertainment world. Therefore, he could quickly transition to another high-profile career if he does choose to retire from the NFL.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was asked on his weekly radio show Tuesday about Driver's future and the Vikings' reported interest.

"Donald has had an incredible career," Rodgers said on his ESPN Wisconsin radio show. "I've been fortunate enough to play with him for eight years. It's just been a pleasure, a pleasure to be around the guy. I think he does it the right way, has been a Packer his entire career, endeared himself to the fans, has made a ton of plays for us.

"I've really enjoyed my time with him and I think he'll have no problem transition to something in the entertainment business. Or in sports business, because he's a very intelligent guy who understands football and can talk about it.

"I'm sure he'll be great at whatever he decides to do."

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/01...25&feedID=5059
    Not a big fan of this....
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 01-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    I think that this is just someone throwing **** a the wall and seeing if it sticks. Driver could attempt to fulfill the Jenkins possession WR role, other than that he's really too slow to be of much use to us and he's not as tall as Jenkins so its hard to see how he'd be an upgrade at age 38, doesn't fit our team at all really.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I'm all for bringing in a whole bunch of talent and competition at the WR position, it's our biggest weakness on the roster....IDC if you're 20 or 40 if you can be a solid receiver and possess value for the team for the next couple years i'm all for bringing them in

Driver has totally been shunned out of the equation in GB and i think he'd love to come here and show them first hand that he can still get it shakin...can't hurt to sign a guy that's dirt cheap to be our 3 or 4
    Last edited by nasthemasta; 01-31-2013 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    This is a terrible idea, omg if this is our big signing at WR Im gonna freak.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    18 Tackles, 2 INTs, 45.7 Passer Rating

vCash
    Jenkins > Driver at this point...anyone disagree with that? I don't think the Vikings have interest in him to be honest. It's just speculation at this point is my guess anyways.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't some bait to hopefully get Greg Jennings to bite on. It was far from a secret that Jennings and Driver were best friends in Green Bay. Add in the fact that Jennings enjoys playing in a dome and it would most likely come down to Miami or us for his services.

I am still not a huge fan of Jennings coming to MN, but I think he would be a good addition at the right price.

vCash
    38 year old who didn't play last year.... How is this a fit?

No thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieFreakout View Post
    38 year old who didn't play last year.... How is this a fit?

No thanks.
    Oh he played last year, 13 games (started 1), 8 receptions, 77 yards and 2 TDs. Someone could argue that he might be a better WR than Stephen Burton or someone equally dispensable and there's always the veteran leadership angle but I just don't see any way that Driver could play as well as we'd need him to to be a contributing member of this team.

They have to watch out too, I have my doubts that there is even any validity to this, but if there was, free agency didn't start yet, so technically anyone from our organization saying that we want Donald Driver on the Minnesota Vikings would be tampering.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Might as well bring Favre back too then

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Might as well bring Favre back too then
    2 years on his tractor and a little high school OC experience thrown in. We could do a lot worse at QB. Favre, Cris Carter and John Randle tore up the madden flag football tournament last year (still trying to find better footage of in than what's on youtube) can't help but wonder sometimes if there isn't still a place for all three of those guys in Minneapolis.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Yeah and the Packers want to sign Cris Carter... LOL don't pay any attention to this. It's clearly Driver or his agent trying to drum up interest.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-29-2013 at 10:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    I'm all for bringing in a whole bunch of talent and competition at the WR position, it's our biggest weakness on the roster....IDC if you're 20 or 40 if you can be a #1 or 2 receiver and possess value for the team for the next couple years i'm all for bringing them in

Driver has totally been shunned out of the equation in GB and i think he'd love to come here and show them first hand that he can still get it shakin
    I wouldn't mind having:

WR1: Jennings (better at slot but still good at the outside)
    WR2: Donald Driver better than jenkins in my opinion driver has stuff left but got crowded in GB)
    WR3/slot/RB/KR: Harvin - sign him to a big long term deal.
    WR4: Wright

I know driver is old and didnt do anything last year but remember how crowded GB is with amazing talent at WR. Given a legit chance, i think driver could still pull out 1-2 decent years left. Then we can focus our 1st round pick on some other position like CB, LB, or even a O-line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    I wouldn't mind having:

WR1: Jennings (better at slot but still good at the outside)
    WR2: Donald Driver better than jenkins in my opinion driver has stuff left but got crowded in GB)
    WR3/slot/RB/KR: Harvin - sign him to a big long term deal.
    WR4: Wright

I know driver is old and didnt do anything last year but remember how crowded GB is with amazing talent at WR. Given a legit chance, i think driver could still pull out 1-2 decent years left. Then we can focus our 1st round pick on some other position like CB, LB, or even a O-line.
    Driver did have chances last year. Greg Jennings missed 8 games due to injury, Jordy Nelson missed 4 games due to injury and was very limited in others and Randall Cobb even missed a game yet Driver still couldn't get more playing time than Tom Crabtree. We can do much better than an aging 38 year old receiver with little left in the tank.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Driver did have chances last year. Greg Jennings missed 8 games due to injury, Jordy Nelson missed 4 games due to injury and was very limited in others and Randall Cobb even missed a game yet Driver still couldn't get more playing time than Tom Crabtree. We can do much better than an aging 38 year old receiver with little left in the tank.
    You got a point but if he comes here for dirt cheap he couldn't be worse than Burton

vCash
    No thanks... WE need to add a #1 guy not a #4/#5 guy.

I have always liked driver though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast