Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon2k View Post
    I personally like bourn, and he's a great outfielder. The reason people are afraid: Contract size/length rumors, He's lefty, and a career .339 OBP is nothing too special
    Actually the more concerning part about Bourn is signing a player to that kind of deal whos primary value is tied to his legs. If his speed dimishes over that deal, then his value drops significantly. I would shy away from Bourn for that sole reason.
    Proud Temple University Alumni
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jake Diekman
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    Actually the more concerning part about Bourn is signing a player to that kind of deal whos primary value is tied to his legs. If his speed dimishes over that deal, then his value drops significantly. I would shy away from Bourn for that sole reason.
    Yeah, good call. 42sb look good last year but factor in age and contract length what are you going to be getting on the back end of that contract

vCash
    I personally like bourn, and he's a great outfielder. The reason people are afraid: Contract size/length rumors, He's lefty, and a career .339 OBP is nothing too special
    He also relies on his legs and thats likely to be the first tool that goes as you age

vCash
    He has almost the exact same player profile as Chone Figgins a few years back. Except Figgins was actually better because of his plate patience and versatility.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    He has almost the exact same player profile as Chone Figgins a few years back. Except Figgins was actually better because of his plate patience and versatility.
    Oh man Figgins. I remember wanting the Phillies to at least make a play for him that year he signed in Seattle. Yet another reason I'm thankful the Phils don't ask my opinion on player acquisitions.

vCash
    The more I read/think the more I think Hamilton is a real possibility. The other two big players are contenders (yanks, bosox) as far as spending goes. He's Chollie's style of player, fills a hole we had last year (HRs), and can POSSIBLY be had for 3-4 years because honestly who has the $ to give him more?

vCash
    I don't exactly hate the idea of signing Hamilton like some others here, but the length of contract does need to be around 3 guaranteed years or else at a much much lower AAV than he's asking. There's way too much risk of his providing almost no value.

If any team is going to take on the risk of owning him, there has to be enough upside in the contract to match the downside.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I don't exactly hate the idea of signing Hamilton like some others here, but the length of contract does need to be around 3 guaranteed years or else at a much much lower AAV than he's asking. There's way too much risk of his providing almost no value.

If any team is going to take on the risk of owning him, there has to be enough upside in the contract to match the downside.
    Completely agree, no one here can argue with his potential upside, especially if you put him in CBP with some other big hitters. The Phillies are known spenders with a loyal fan base and that's not changing anytime soon so the money to me isn't a major deal breaker.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agulby26 View Post
    I got a inside source for the Phil's not aloud to name names but the Phillies are very interested in josh Hamilton and will go after him.
    He will be the Phil's new cf I guarantee it! he will except the Phil's massive offer! This Is no joke I'm a diehard Phil's fan and I promise you josh hamilton will be a Phil!
    I will hold you to this promise.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Josh Hamilton would be a HUGE mistake. Wayyy to risky and wayyy to much a an investement both financially and in length. Let me throw some things out there:

1.) Hes already 31 years old and obviously will only decline from here
    2.) He is a major injury risk, also his past is scary as well
    3.) His 2nd half of the year was terrible
    4.) His dWAR has dropped every year since 2010 and is in the negative
    5.) His WAR is only 3.4 compared to BJ Upton's 2.6. Is one win more worth the amount of difference is $$$? Absolutely not, especially considering the added risk
    6.) He struck out 162 times last year (69 more than 2011)
    7.) We already have a poor outfield defensively, dont need another liability
    8.) Phillies dont need anymore aging overpaid players
    9.) Phillies need to spread that money into several positions, not just one
    10.) I cant believe Josh Hamilton is even being considered

vCash
    He's a damn good player that would greatly improve the team in an area of need. That's why he's being considered.

I'm not saying I'd love them signing him, but I don't think he's nearly as bad of an option as people make him out to be. Also, his past issues should not even be in the equation, I feel bad for him that people are still pinning that on him. There's risks to every player you sing to this magnitude of a contract.

Just my .02 cents.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    Josh Hamilton would be a HUGE mistake. Wayyy to risky and wayyy to much a an investement both financially and in length. Let me throw some things out there:

1.) Hes already 31 years old and obviously will only decline from here
    2.) He is a major injury risk, also his past is scary as well
    3.) His 2nd half of the year was terrible
    4.) His dWAR has dropped every year since 2010 and is in the negative
    5.) His WAR is only 3.4 compared to BJ Upton's 2.6. Is one win more worth the amount of difference is $$$? Absolutely not, especially considering the added risk
    6.) He struck out 162 times last year (69 more than 2011)
    7.) We already have a poor outfield defensively, dont need another liability
    8.) Phillies dont need anymore aging overpaid players
    9.) Phillies need to spread that money into several positions, not just one
    10.) I cant believe Josh Hamilton is even being considered
    How would you feel about something like 3yrs/57mil

vCash
    How would you feel about something like 3yrs/57mil
    I would definately approve any 3 year deal, especially at that price tag. I just dont see him only getting three years, especially since he is demanding 7 yrs currently. Hamilton just scares me and the face that the Rangers are in no hurry to sign him back is troubling.
    Last edited by Synyster89; 11-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Illa215 View Post
    He's a damn good player that would greatly improve the team in an area of need. That's why he's being considered.

I'm not saying I'd love them signing him, but I don't think he's nearly as bad of an option as people make him out to be. Also, his past issues should not even be in the equation, I feel bad for him that people are still pinning that on him. There's risks to every player you sing to this magnitude of a contract.

Just my .02 cents.
    Its about being cost effective. And to your point that every player you sign to that magnitude of a contract is risky, absolutely. But he is the only player in the market that IS going to sign a contract of that magnitude. And is easily one of the riskier options out there. High price and high risk dont often end well, especially long term. If you were writing the checks would you sign him? I doubt it.

vCash
    Screw Hamilton, let us go get Stanton

A-Team hypothetically if the Marlins did want to deal him to us, what would you give up?

Bring on our 3rd WS ring, our first Super Bowl win, 4th NBA Championship, and 3rd Stanley Cup

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast