Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    You know if Hamilton does sign that guy will come in and say i told you so lol
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

vCash
    if it's a cheap contract and short, then I hope I hear him say it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toisdabest81 View Post
    I am SICK of having guys that bat around 250. the previous year and expect them to be better here in philly. Upton batted 246. if I am not mistaken and while Hamilton is an MVP candidate year in and year out. Thats who I want. He hasnt missed too many games the past few years, only 14 last year. This past year was terrible. And after Laynce Nix, and Wiggington, I do NOT want anymore low average trash here
    I completely agree. Overpay Hamilton before overpaying Upton. No-brainer.

vCash
    Ok. But hypothetically, what if one of them will sign a market rate contract (i.e. Upton at 5/75) while the other one digs in for a big payday (Hamilton at 5/130). Is better offense, worse defense, and increased risk worth ~$55 million?
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    I would be uncomfortable with both of the contracts...i'm more comfortable with 4/$100 on hamilton...his production in first two years would be worth contract... OTHO, I don't think Upton's track record warrants $15 mill for any years. Hes basically Victorino plus 10hrs...that doesn't warrant $15 mill. Although Vic actually hits for higher avg!
    Last edited by phillies1980; 11-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.

vCash
    What factors inform your opinion on what Upton is worth?
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    Better offense could mean 100 point better BA. Risk? I'm not concerned, it's not like this guy goes Charlie Sheen when he goes on a spree, just a couple of ill-advised beverages. Defense is substantial....BJ has no plate discipline, I'm sick of seeing the free swingers who only hit 20 HRs. If you swing, I want to see 40+! Otherwsie give me some old school '93 Phillies plate discipline- those guys knew how to work a pitcher!

vCash
    We're never going to escape this talk of average are we?

Avg is not an effective tool for evaluating player value. Google it if you need to know why.

Avg is useful for a slew of other purposes. But if your statement is - "Player is (not) good because of (blank) - that blank cannot be average. Average doesn't tell you if a player is good or not except at the extremes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post

Avg is not an effective tool for evaluating player value. Google it if you need to know why.

Avg is useful for a slew of other purposes. But if your statement is - "Player is (not) good because of (blank) - that blank cannot be average. Average doesn't tell you if a player is good or not except at the extremes.
    I wholeheartedly agree... but when were talking about 50 less RBIs and 25 less home runs... AND 80 points less in batting avg... then it becomes an issue.

vCash
    Right, but you could just use OPS or OBP and SLG separately or wOBA and accomplish the same thing succinctly and in a way that preempts complaint from the rest of us forum clowns.

vCash
    Right, but you could just use OPS or OBP and SLG separately or wOBA and accomplish the same thing succinctly and in a way that preempts complaint from the rest of us forum clowns.
    Gotcha I'm very old school...even for my age. When you get all WAR, OPS on my *****...i get frazzled. In straight terms...I will always take Eisenreich or Trillo...but I think the team needs a Bull or Inky or even Burrell right now. Unfortunately, Luzinsky would command $18mill yr now ...lol

vCash
    If Hamilton does sign here I will make sure I laugh at all of you when you are complaing about his contract in 4-5 years...signing him to a megadeal would be a HUGEEE mistake!!! There is no frame of mind or arguement that can successfully argue signing him to a 5+yr/120+ million dollar deal. That is reallyyy going to screw the Phillies long term, talk about an enormous rebuild after that contract is finally over.

Texas not even trying to resign him should say atleast say something to all of you.
    Last edited by Synyster89; 11-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    Proud employee of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs and Temple University student
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jesse Biddle
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    I wouldn't call a 4 year deal a mega deal.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash

Use Bing and take a look at the 2010 averages and you will see extremes. No need to get into geek moneyball stats when the discrepency in basic production is so huge.

vCash
    Why on earth would I use Bing?

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast