Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    When you have to analyze so many different things as to why a QB isnt getting the job done it sounds like searching for hope. Can anyone remember the last QB that had that scared mentality early in his career and all of a sudden flipped the switch to become a decent QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    When you have to analyze so many different things as to why a QB isnt getting the job done it sounds like searching for hope. Can anyone remember the last QB that had that scared mentality early in his career and all of a sudden flipped the switch to become a decent QB.
    Umm lets see I can name three off the top of my head, two of which won Super Bowls, gone to Pro-Bowls and set records. Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Alex Smith. Sophmore slumps happen, and like I have said earlier, most of us who have any clue know that the guy can play better than he is right now. I think that Ponder can and will be a good QB again and that he will be an even better one going into next year.

At the same time, I won't say that I have blind faith in the guy, there are serious issues here that need to be worked out and some thought does need to be given to the question of what if he doesn't work out, however we're still not there yet. If he sucks it up the rest of this season, goes to camp next year and either loses the starting job or keeps playing the very same way he is now (just like T-Jack did after three years in the system) its up to the guys running the team to have a contingency (a present-day Gus Frerotte, and yeah I know Frerotte could play pretty ugly at times but lots of times he did get us there) plan in place, in my opinion they don't now and I think THAT is more important than trying to replace Ponder after a bad stretch of games.

I don't advocate that we keep the guy as our starter as long as the Texans kept David Carr, the 9ers kept Alex Smith, or the Jets have kept Mark Sanchez around, however we should keep him at least as long as T-Jack (yeah he has started more games than T-Jack all ready but he has had half as much time in camp thanks to the abbreviated off season in 2011 and by "as long as T-Jack I mean 2006-2008, not the 09-10 debacle which left us without a QB and a broken team after Favre retired).

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    OK, you're on. I'm going need to talk to someone but I have just the thing in mind. I say we sig bet this. If Ponder comes out of his slump and starts being an effective QB again, you need to rock a Ponder sig (of my choosing, probably one of the ones that VCU has floating around) from now until the beginning of next season.

If his play doesn't improve and he gets benched, I will wear an anti-Ponder sig that says WE NEED A NEW QB, PONDER IS NOT THE ANSWER for the same amount of time. I hate to impose on him, but ToP made my last sig so I'm going to ask him to see if he will do this.

I'm getting sick of the overstatement too, I do think that Chrisitian Ponder is a better football player than a lot of people give him credit for. I don't think that he's a one in a million future hall-of-famer find that we can ride all the way to a dynasty. What I do think is that with what he's had going for him he can be just the QB we need him to be with where the team is at now and heading into the future. As bad as he's played recently I think it is still too soon to quit on him, because I KNOW HE CAN PLAY BETTER FOOTBALL BECAUSE HE HAS BEFORE. I'll have another post on that later.
    Fair enough,
    I've found out cheesefree's real identity, He's not a Hoser but a Vulcan. It's Mr. Spock! Who the h--l else could do all that math!
    I'm impressed, w/the Harvin breakdowns. I want recount though. Go back and make sure those were all screens. I think you're counting some as down field passes. And when you're done with that, Get your butt out of the house a live up some life. Dude you have way to much time on your hands.
    Right when I was just starting to dislike you for your offensive slams on me, you go and tell me you're from the greatest country on the planet.
    The best beer Labatts, best doughnuts Tim Hortons, prettiest strippers Quebec, 2nd. best hockey players, nicest people anywhere. Hardly any rednecks to be found. I don't know what happened to you!
    I have alot of friends in Ontario.
    If you're this passonate about football. You most really be over the top about hockey. Whose your favorate hockey team, Leafs, Jets, Le Habs ?
    Anyway feel free to smack on me whenever you want brother.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iowavike View Post
    Fair enough,
    I've found out cheesefree's real identity, He's not a Hoser but a Vulcan. It's Mr. Spock! Who the h--l else could do all that math!
    I'm impressed, w/the Harvin breakdowns. I want recount though. Go back and make sure those were all screens. I think you're counting some as down field passes. And when you're done with that, Get your butt out of the house a live up some life. Dude you have way to much time on your hands.
    Right when I was just starting to dislike you for your offensive slams on me, you go and tell me you're from the greatest country on the planet.
    The best beer Labatts, best doughnuts Tim Hortons, prettiest strippers Quebec, 2nd. best hockey players, nicest people anywhere. Hardly any rednecks to be found. I don't know what happened to you!
    I have alot of friends in Ontario.
    If you're this passonate about football. You most really be over the top about hockey. Whose your favorate hockey team, Leafs, Jets, Le Habs ?
    Anyway feel free to smack on me whenever you want brother.
    Lol yeah I think we can make this fun. You should PM top for what you want it to say, I already have some thoughts on mine.

That's the other thing on the screens, the only ones I counted were the swing passes that took place behind the line of scrimmage, but there were maybe only 3 or 4 screens over the whole season that took place beyond the line of scrimmage that would have been thrown out in this.
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 11-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Umm lets see I can name three off the top of my head, two of which won Super Bowls, gone to Pro-Bowls and set records. Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Alex Smith. Sophmore slumps happen, and like I have said earlier, most of us who have any clue know that the guy can play better than he is right now. I think that Ponder can and will be a good QB again and that he will be an even better one going into next year.

At the same time, I won't say that I have blind faith in the guy, there are serious issues here that need to be worked out and some thought does need to be given to the question of what if he doesn't work out, however we're still not there yet. If he sucks it up the rest of this season, goes to camp next year and either loses the starting job or keeps playing the very same way he is now (just like T-Jack did after three years in the system) its up to the guys running the team to have a contingency (a present-day Gus Frerotte, and yeah I know Frerotte could play pretty ugly at times but lots of times he did get us there) plan in place, in my opinion they don't now and I think THAT is more important than trying to replace Ponder after a bad stretch of games.

I don't advocate that we keep the guy as our starter as long as the Texans kept David Carr, the 9ers kept Alex Smith, or the Jets have kept Mark Sanchez around, however we should keep him at least as long as T-Jack (yeah he has started more games than T-Jack all ready but he has had half as much time in camp thanks to the abbreviated off season in 2011 and by "as long as T-Jack I mean 2006-2008, not the 09-10 debacle which left us without a QB and a broken team after Favre retired).
    Your really reaching with Brees and Manning comparisons, both of those guys never showed the lack of courage and heart Ponder clearly plays without now. And wow ok if Alex Smith is a guy Ponder can hope to be as good as then we should all feel better about the direction the franchise is going behind center.

I guess Im not understanding the can and will be a good quaterback again thing...when has Ponder been considered a consistently good QB.
    Last edited by dimgim; 11-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.

vCash
    Your really reaching with Brees and Manning comparisons, both of those guys never showed the lack of courage and heart Ponder clearly plays without now. And wow ok if Alex Smith is a guy Ponder can hope to be as good as then we should all feel better about the direction the franchise is going behind center.

I guess Im not understanding the can and will be a good quaterback again thing...when has Ponder been considered a consistently good QB.
    No I guess you're not. For the first 3 or 4 games of the season he had one of the highest QB ratings and completion % in the league. He was effective, leading us on that clutch drive at the end of week 1 to force OT and the comeback attempt in Indy which would have forced OT had Vinatiri not been able to score. There is no reason to think that he can't play that well again. As I demonstrated to you with those stats, Ponder's early season success was NOT based just on screen-passes to Percy Harvin.

Also, I'm sorry but I'm not going to hold the 2011 season against him, our team was garbage up front and much the same as now had no WRs besides Percy, and they decided that he was more valuable on the bench last year.

Oh and by the way, no its not a reach to talk about how bad Eli Manning was as a rookie. Talk about terrible under pressure, the guy would wilt like a flower as soon as anybody got near him he'd just put the ball up for grabs. I remember routinely hearing about how they should have benched him for Kurt Warner.
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 11-09-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Watching the game last night I found a guy that would be a perfect backup to Ponder. Chad Henne. Not sure what his contract status is with the Jags but if he was a FA I'd love to bring him in. He looked good last night in limited duty.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 0 , Yards: 0 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Watching the game last night I found a guy that would be a perfect backup to Ponder. Chad Henne. Not sure what his contract status is with the Jags but if he was a FA I'd love to bring him in. He looked good last night in limited duty.
    They have him for another year. We'd have to trade for him which I don't think would be a good decision.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    No I guess you're not. For the first 3 or 4 games of the season he had one of the highest QB ratings and completion % in the league. He was effective, leading us on that clutch drive at the end of week 1 to force OT and the comeback attempt in Indy which would have forced OT had Vinatiri not been able to score. There is no reason to think that he can't play that well again. As I demonstrated to you with those stats, Ponder's early season success was NOT based just on screen-passes to Percy Harvin.

Also, I'm sorry but I'm not going to hold the 2011 season against him, our team was garbage up front and much the same as now had no WRs besides Percy, and they decided that he was more valuable on the bench last year.

Oh and by the way, no its not a reach to talk about how bad Eli Manning was as a rookie. Talk about terrible under pressure, the guy would wilt like a flower as soon as anybody got near him he'd just put the ball up for grabs. I remember routinely hearing about how they should have benched him for Kurt Warner.
    Thats what Im getting at consistency is more than 3 games basically what im saying is we've seen more bad than good since Ponder has been on the scene. Im not gunna speak bad on the guy anymore I agree with you on the point we need a bigger sampling size to truly judge what he can be, but by seasons end with no improvement im gunna come out swingin.

vCash
    Thats what Im getting at consistency is more than 3 games basically what im saying is we've seen more bad than good since Ponder has been on the scene. Im not gunna speak bad on the guy anymore I agree with you on the point we need a bigger sampling size to truly judge what he can be, but by seasons end with no improvement im gunna come out swingin.
    If there is no improvement I might even be inclined to agree with you, the big thing (and its sort of the approach I've taken since we were talking about who would replace Favre) is that I don't want to see us blow another high round draft pick reaching for something that we can't have based on where we'll be at in the draft (an instantaneous all-star QB like Andrew Luck). It would be even more disastrous if we trade up because we're either going to be giving up a very key player or a boat load of picks.

I do think we need a credible backup QB, go do something productive with Webb even if its returning Punts. Keep McBethel Highlander around and see if he develops into anything while Ponder and whoever else we sign/trade for fight for the starting job.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Chad Henne sucks, stop it right now.
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    chad henne lol

I'd rather eat some penne paste

vCash
    If he throws for over 250 we win this game,,,and the yards cant be prevent D yards.

vCash
    Good read right here explains why Ponder might not ever be the guy we want him to. Go down to the what to watch for...it's exactly what I and every game announcer thats covered him this season has been saying about Ponder.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7414873.story

vCash
    Good read right here explains why Ponder might not ever be the guy we want him to. Go down to the what to watch for...it's exactly what I and every game announcer thats covered him this season has been saying about Ponder.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7414873.story
    Um no, not every announcer has been saying that all year at all. Criticize him all you want, he'e all we've got right now.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast