Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Christian Ponder Thread #2 (News, Stories, Articles, Opinions)

The last thread has topped the thousand post mark so as is the custom on PSD I have made a new thread. Enjoy.

vCash
    Christian Ponder - QB - Vikings
    Nov 4 - 9:38 PM

Following Sunday's loss to the Seahawks, coach Leslie Frazier dismissed the idea of benching Christian Ponder.

"I don't necessarily think that Christian is the problem," Frazier said. The stats say otherwise. Over the last three games, Ponder has completed just 38-of-74 passes (51.3 percent) for 372 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions. He's holding back the offense's potential heading into a Week 10 matchup against the Lions. Ponder's backup is Joe Webb.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ayer-news?rw=1

vCash
    Don't think he's the problem eh? Please Frazier, do tell me who IS the problem then?

vCash
    God damnit, it's gonna take another 4 losses untill we see Webb probably, we only put him in when the season is officially lost, we need Webb in there right now. I hate you Frasier

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blom85 View Post
    God damnit, it's gonna take another 4 losses untill we see Webb probably, we only put him in when the season is officially lost, we need Webb in there right now. I hate you Frasier
    Hardcore! While I have not reached your level of frustration (yet) I do feel your pain. I have been a Vikes fan my whole life. Going down with the ship, again.

vCash
    I just don't get it. Ponder shows flashes of being a top 10 QB. Then he shows flashes of not even belonging in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TearsOfPurple View Post
    Don't think he's the problem eh? Please Frazier, do tell me who IS the problem then?
    Cough!!! Musgrave!! Cough

THIS IS PHOTO EVIDENCE THAT GOINGFOR28 GETS PAID FOR DOING THIS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikings4lifebro View Post
    Cough!!! Musgrave!! Cough
    Yep thats what I was getting at lol. Frazier just doesn't want to say it!

vCash
    I like Webb but I just think thats a more terrible option than Ponder.

Right now Ponder needs to wake up. The season isn't over and he has a chance to prove everyone wrong but my god has he been awful.

vCash
    I think he'll get next week, and then one game after the bye to show some sort of serviceable play. If he has two more games like this, time for Spiderman Webb.

I don't think Webb is an upgrade by any means, but Ponder has regressed a lot after a decent start....2 seasons in a row.

vCash
    Its time to get back to real Vikings football again and start running the damn football!! How in the world can we lose back to back games with Peterson having monster games?!?! 2 of the last 3 games, Ponder has thrown for under 100 yds......THROWN for under 100yds. That is ****ing pathetic!!!

I'm not going to say bench Ponder right away but I would really really love to see Webb out there on a couple plays just to see what happens. I mean we already exceeded our expectations, so we really got nothing to lose do we!? Take the gloves, be creative, do some wildcat with Webb.

I really feel though that we are going to bounce back hard against the Lions at the dome next week. We cannot afford to lose that game!

vCash
    Idk how anyone can say we should run packages with Webb. Do you guys forget that easy what one of the problems is. BILL MUSGRAVE. The guys idea of a trick play is a reverse. This guy has the imagination of a 101 year old deaf, blind person. We tried the blazer package last year and what did webb do. He ran the ball everytime. How does that help us out? It is like the jets with tebow the dude comes in and runs never passes. Don't you think defenses know what to do?

vCash
    I am immediately upset coming off a loss, but looking back on todays game I am not trying to give Ponder an easy out, but this is not his fault. Musgrave is molding Ponder into a player who has no instinct. I will explain what I mean by instinct later.

Since the beginning of this season when a play is called into Ponder he is "given the receiver to throw to" which Musgrave has designed into his play call. This takes out any other open receivers and puts all of Ponder's attention on one guy. Did you see the throw down the sideline that flew 10 feet above Percy's head? This is what happens when Ponder is told to throw it to Harvin and he doesn't get open. No receiver in the NFL is capable of getting open 100% of the time. Then once we get to the 4th quarter we come back to the same play and Ponder throws a pick. Yes, it was a poor throw, but Ponder was told by Musgrave to get the ball to Percy and all he was doing was following the play call. After the first four games of the season teams picked this up in their scouting reports and at this point are reading the eyes of Ponder leading to the increased number of turnovers. This type of development isn't going to let Ponder excel and at this point may ultimately lead to the firing of Musgrave.

As to my instincts point, playing quarterback is not all about having a strong arm, being intelligent, or being incredibly accurate, its all about the underlying intangibles. I for one am a believer that Ponder does have great intangibles when he is just "playing the game". The way our offense is as I said above limiting him, but also making him over think coverages. As a result he is holding onto the ball way to long and getting sacked. The O-Line has been amazing but they are definitely a solid group and not responsible for the pressure. If I have learned anything about developing a quarterback you have to 1.) let them find their own comfort zone and 2.) let them play the game. Our offense takes away #2 which makes #1 a challenge. This afternoon Ponder looked frustrated and this is the first time I could just tell that he was being limited. Any QB who just goes out on a given day and throws the ball should be able to reach at a minimum 100 yards in the air. So basically let Ponder off the leash, I know others have mentioned this already.

I am not trying to say this was all Musgrave's fault because Ponder was inaccurate and very flustered this afternoon. The one play we needed to make was the play action to Aromashadu that was thrown behind him. Ponder also needs to be able to keep his emotions in check and not let the frustration take control of his play.

All in all we need to be patient and understand that every quarterback is going to go through struggles. We have seen both the good and bad Christian Ponder this season and I think that is great. If we hadn't seen the good Ponder we would have no idea what we could possibly have in the next year or two. I personally expected some games like this throughout the season and even though I am disappointed I know that you have to take a step backwards to take two step forward. So take it for what it is for and disagree with anything or everything I had to say but I for one am still confident Ponder is our franchise signal caller.

vCash
    We should of traded for TEBOW to light a fire under Ponders *** and if not we have a new QB...Ive seen enough of Webb...I think he should be a WR and our Wildcat/Blazer package guy.....

vCash
    Good post Mauer, really sums up my feelings as well.

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast