Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    This front office has dropped the ball a few times already.

If you're fair about it, you criticize them when they do and praise them when they get something right.

There was no defensible reason to leave F-Mart unprotected and not trade Hairston. I feel the same way about botching the Reyes situation as well, but I don't want that can of worms to be opened up around here with the arguing.
    I agree about Player B, but I wonder if they were getting fair value for Hairston in the offers.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Let's do some basic math to see if the Mets could have gotten fair value for Hairston.

Hairston's value = Hairston's 2nd half production x value of Mets 2nd half,

which can be simplified to:

Hairston's 2nd half production x 0,

which equals 0.

So as long as the Mets got something worth more than 0, I'd say a trade would have been worth it.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Actually I see it as Hairston's 2nd half value x -1 because he probably won us one more game and made us draft a slot behind of where we should have.

vCash
    They weren't getting anyone's top 30 prospect.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    They weren't getting anyone's top 30 prospect.
    I personally think that is ridiculous. We couldn't get a Josh Edgin or even a guy in the low minors? Anything is better than nothing. Their reasoning for keeping Hairston only made sense if he's a Met in 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Hopefully F-Mart stays healthy and becomes a starting OF.
    and hopefully Lucy holds that football in place long enough for Charlie Brown to finally kick it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I personally think that is ridiculous. We couldn't get a Josh Edgin or even a guy in the low minors? Anything is better than nothing. Their reasoning for keeping Hairston only made sense if he's a Met in 2013.
    That is what was said.
    What kind of demand is there for a Scott Hairston?
    Would you give up any value for him?

I might have given the Mets a Josh Satin type of non-prospect.

vCash
    That is what was said.
    What kind of demand is there for a Scott Hairston?
    Would you give up any value for him?

I might have given the Mets a Josh Satin type of non-prospect.
    What was said and what is reality are two different things. If you believe everything you hear, then well I have a bridge to sell you.

He mashes lefties and hits homers. How does that have no value? I would give up my 30th best prospect for Hairston if I'm a contender, sure.

I bet teams were offering low level guys for Hairston, but there were reports that the Mets had no interest in those guys hence why he wasn't traded. There were also reports of Sandy looking for a Top 5 prospect which is downright ridiculous so that could be another reason he wasn't dealt.

All things considered, I would rather have a Josh Satin than nothing at all.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 11-05-2012 at 10:32 AM.

vCash
    Jon Rauch had more value and should have been traded or at least put on waivers for a deal and not just to see what type of value he had. That's where the anger should be directed at.

Realistically the Mets could have gotten Pedro Beato type of player for Hairston.

vCash
    Jon Rauch had more value and should have been traded or at least put on waivers for a deal and not just to see what type of value he had. That's where the anger should be directed at.

Realistically the Mets could have gotten Pedro Beato type of player for Hairston.
    could they have gotten a AAA catcher out of either one of them? I'm not talking a stud catching prospect...just a guy that could handle MLB pitchers, and not hit .190 with no power...

vCash

Both should have been traded then. Though I don't think Rauch had that much more value if at all.

vCash

And I would argue that a Pedro Beato type player is still more than nothing. Every now and then a Pedro Beato type player actually pans out.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    If you know going into the trading deadline, there is a pretty good chance a guy like Hairston isn't part of your future plans you deal him.

The Mets weren't competing at that point, weren't looking to get better, at least a spec (regardless of the quality of that spec) gives them something back that has the albeit small chance of developing into something down the road.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    And I would argue that a Pedro Beato type player is still more than nothing. Every now and then a Pedro Beato type player actually pans out.
    That's fair.
    But in the end the impact would be minimal.

This team needs an infusion of new young talent.
    Because what we have, outside of the fab 4 and Flores isn't much.

vCash
    Agreed. I just think there is a lack of clear direction when you hold on to guys like Hairston and Rauch while simulataneously taking the "wait until 2014" approach.

Alderson deserves some criticism for that.
    Go Grab My Belt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast