Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well this offseason much like the last 2 had no flexibility in it.

With the flexibility they claim they will have next season, the money will be there to overpay a Corey Hart (that's the guy we could really use in the middle of our lineup over any of the FA this year)

If of course its there.
    If Hart is there, which he probably won't be. Banking on sos and so to be there in years to come is foolish.

8 times out of 10 the guy you're so sweet on, you're sweet on for a reason and so is everyone else, enough to be locked up or traded away.

You can't sit back and do nothing every year because the perfect FA isn't there.

FA is what it is, you're buying poor value commodities in an attempt to win more baseball games soon, and if you're not, then you're kidding yourself that doing nothing and resigning yourself to another lost season is somehow smarter.

It isn't.

Tired of this mythology around FA that if you wait around all the right players just fall into your lap, they don't.

And year after year after year the Mets continue to add nothing and go nowhere, people are using past failures as a reason to do nothing, and if anything that's even worse. We're not even ****ing trying any more.

What's worse than that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    If Hart is there, which he probably won't be. Banking on sos and so to be there in years to come is foolish.

8 times out of 10 the guy you're so sweet on, you're sweet on for a reason and so is everyone else, enough to be locked up or traded away.

You can't sit back and do nothing every year because the perfect FA isn't there.

FA is what it is, you're buying poor value commodities in an attempt to win more baseball games soon, and if you're not, then you're kidding yourself that doing nothing and resigning yourself to another lost season is somehow smarter.

It isn't.

Tired of this mythology around FA that if you wait around all the right players just fall into your lap, they don't.

And year after year after year the Mets continue to add nothing and go nowhere, people are using past failures as a reason to do nothing, and if anything that's even worse. We're not even ****ing trying any more.

What's worse than that?
    Hey i agree with you in many regards, what the Mets could accomplish in FA in 2014 they could accomplish this year as well.

And you're right the Carlos Beltrans of the world in their prime are not falling from the sky.

I guess my point is more to the fact that considering this offseason will be much of nothing, we have to look towards the future in FA.

I know me and you have differing philosophies on when that will be but a good start would be picking up a guy like Corey Hart if he is available.

If not and like you mentioned you have to look elsewhere, there should be a quality OF out there for the Mets to overspend on.

It's not the most ideal situation but logistically the next big market cornerstone OF in their prime that's out there is not coming till Justin Upton in 2015 or Jason Heyward and Giancarlo Stanton in 2016.

That's an especially long time to wait for a big time FA OF.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

vCash
    Ross isn't coming back from a season ending injury that led to surgery where he would be dirt cheap to sign so he won't be with the Mets in 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Hey i agree with you in many regards, what the Mets could accomplish in FA in 2014 they could accomplish this year as well.

And you're right the Carlos Beltrans of the world in their prime are not falling from the sky.

I guess my point is more to the fact that considering this offseason will be much of nothing, we have to look towards the future in FA.

I know me and you have differing philosophies on when that will be but a good start would be picking up a guy like Corey Hart if he is available.

If not and like you mentioned you have to look elsewhere, there should be a quality OF out there for the Mets to overspend on.

It's not the most ideal situation but logistically the next big market cornerstone OF in their prime that's out there is not coming till Justin Upton in 2015 or Jason Heyward and Giancarlo Stanton in 2016.

That's an especially long time to wait for a big time FA OF.

Exactly, will they be there? will the Mets be able to afford them anyway?

They're going to get ridiculous contracts, if they fulfil their promise. You wanna spend $100M-$140M again?

I don't think standing pat for years is a strategy at all, baseball economics is an imperfect system, trying to navigate your way through it as if it's something else if just delusion. You can't consistently outsmart a bloated and laughable FA system with guaranteed contracts tied to it.

It comes down to whether you're going to take risks to improve your team, or you're not going to take risks and accept mediocrity. I'd rather take some shots. The Coupons have made the Mets a non-factor, that's unacceptable.

We're at 90M and they can't afford to improve the team? a team that won 74 games? and hasn't been over .500 since 2009?

But, they won't rebuild either, as we see the Cubs and Sox doing?

Can you see how the ludicrous the thought of building a winner some time soon sounds?

We're up against a young team stuffed with talent and an owner with real ambition, a team that outclasses us in every respect as an org., and the Phillies who just had 5 great years and will be back in the post season before we are. We're held off the bottom of the NL East only by the fact that Marlins are totally lost and are stuck in a city that should never have a pro baseball team to begin with.

What's our plan?

Well, next year, two contracts come off. Ummm, that's it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123