Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Any Dodgers fans from Brooklyn?

Let me first start off by saying I myself am not from Brooklyn. However...

I was watching the Nets home opener today and they honored some former Brooklyn Dodger players.

It got me wondering.

It seems like people who live in Brooklyn or New York have all switched over to the Yankees and Mets.

Whenever one thinks of the Dodgers they think all their fans should be in LA obviously.. But never factor in Brooklyn anymore, even with the move and the 1957 disgust.

Wouldn't it be sensible for Brooklyners to root for the Dodgers, even though they are in Los Angeles? Afterall, it is still the Dodgers. Instead of rooting for the Yankees or Mets instead.

Any of you LA Dodger fans original Dodger fans from when they played in Brooklyn and you didn't abandon your team?

Any of you born in Brooklyn (post LA move) and grew up rooting for the LA Dodgers (not Yankees or Mets) because of what once was and not what currently is.

That would be pretty neat. And fascinating too hear about, also. You would be like the outcasts or ... bums!
    Last edited by Vintage; 11-04-2012 at 06:29 AM.

vCash
    I'm not from NY but have been to 5 games in NY to see the Dodgers play. I went to 3 games this past summer. Got to see LA sweep. But when there I saw a lot of Dodger fans. Talked to one girl who was from Booklyn and she was a Dodgers fan. There are still a lot of fans there. Most of them either had a grandfather or father who was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.

vCash
    It's been 55 years since the Dodgers moved to LA. It would be really hard to continue the root root for the Dodgers from the Dodgers fans back from the Brooklyn days. Let's just say those 10 year olds when the Dodgers was on its final year in Brooklyn is now 65 years old. Convincing their kids, grandkids to root for the LA Dodgers must have been tough, especially with the Yanks.

However, there are bunch of Dodgers fan in general, especially on the southwest region of the country. I love watching away games and see out of town/state Dodgers fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    I am a Dodger fan not from Brooklyn but Jersey City NJ where the Dodgers played eight games in both 1956 and 1957.There was much anger and hatred for O'malley and the Dodgers when they left Brooklyn. How would LA fans now if the Dodgers left for Maine ? It was worse then because there was no satellite tv nor internet to keep you connected and east coast papers had no west coast news in the am. I am a rarity who as a child cried for days when they left and remained loyal to them.

vCash
    I'd think mainly old folks from NY are still fans.

vCash
    I was born and raised in NYC, I'm a Dodgers fan, my dad was a Dodgers fan, his dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    I was born and raised in NYC, I'm a Dodgers fan, my dad was a Dodgers fan, his dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan
    Wow you come from a long line of Dodger fanaticism. BTW, have some dignity and remove that gay sig that you have.

vCash

I thought this was pretty cool.

vCash
    My first game I ever saw was as a 7yr old in 1955 at Ebbetts Field. I saw all the boys of summer and never stopped rooting for the Dodgers.

vCash
    My Grandmother just turned 79 years old a few weeks and is still a Dodgers fan til this day.

She grew up in Brooklyn and never stopped rooting for them, even when they moved to Los Angeles. To her, anything Yankees, Mets, or Giants is wrong.

Dodgers are still her "Brooklyn" team through thick and thin. She knows Vin Scully is the best announcer in the game.

Lol she was so excited when they acquired Gonzalez, Beckett, and Crawford.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekJeterDan:24196318
    My Grandmother just turned 79 years old a few weeks and is still a Dodgers fan til this day.

She grew up in Brooklyn and never stopped rooting for them, even when they moved to Los Angeles. To her, anything Yankees, Mets, or Giants is wrong.

Dodgers are still her "Brooklyn" team through thick and thin. She knows Vin Scully is the best announcer in the game.

Lol she was so excited when they acquired Gonzalez, Beckett, and Crawford.
    If your grandma flies here to LA, i'd personally buy here good tickets!
    Last edited by mikekhelxD; 11-05-2012 at 03:31 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Most of the Brooklyn Dodger fans had trouble using their VCR's much less trying to figure out how to turn on a computer.

vCash
    My dad is from missouri, (i know, not brooklyn) but when he was a child he grew up being a HUGE brooklyn dodgers fan and a HUGE minneapolis laker fan because his dad followed those teams too. Me, i now live in LA county and a HUGE laker and dodger fan too, but it's not because i grew up here, it's because it's in my blood and has been for years.

vCash
    I'm one of those old folks who is still a Dodger fan. I'm 66 years old and have been a Dodger fan since 1956. Use to watch Happy Felton's Knot hole gang, the Dodger pregame show, and fell in love with Vin Scully as soon as I first heard him. Actually he grew up on Haven Ave. in the Washington Heights part of Manhattan, right around the corner from where I lived. I met him once in 1973 at Candlestick Park and he was amazingly nice. He grew up a Giants Fan, a big Mel Ott fan, probably because the Giants were the closest team, playing at the Polo Grounds to Washington Heights. Yankee stadium was across Harlem river from the Polo Grounds but no one with any heart would be a Yankee fan. WOR-TV channel 9 was the broadcasting channel. They once had a relief pitcher named Renee Valdez, whose nickname was "the whip". LOve the memories.

vCash
    When my Grandfather moved my Grandmother and Dad out to Manhattan in the late 40's from Puerto Rico, they instantly became Brooklyn Dodger fans. They could have easily been Yankee fans but my dad said there was something special about the "Bums" that he loved. My grandmother was a seamstress for the stars (Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, etc) in the 50's. She eventually got an opportunity to make more money but she had to move West to Inglewood Ca.

My dad said he hated the idea of living on the West Coast because he wasn't going to be able to watch the Dodgers or go to Ebbets. He said he also hated the idea of being the only Puerto Rican family in a Jewish neighborhood... lol..(now, that neighborhood is strictly Black and Hispanic).. My dad said he fell in love with California, the weather, and once he found out the Dodgers were moving West he couldn't believe how lucky he was. We are all Dodgers fans in our family, Hasta la Muerte!!!!

DEDICATED TO DWIGHT HOWARD