Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Pistons' Rodney Stuckey finds a calmer place

BY VINCENT GOODWILL THE DETROIT NEWS

Auburn Hills Observing Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey is often a study in perfect contrast between his on-court style, so-called reputation and his soft-spoken demeanor.

On the floor, Stuckey is aggressive, sometimes on the verge of reckless as he craves contact, thrusting his 200-pound frame toward bigger and stronger defenders.

Off it, he appears to be more comfortable in his own skin for the first time in a long time, no longer burdened by expectations or drama, ready to start his sixth NBA campaign with a clear head and sound body.

"Stuck has transformed completely, especially since moving him to the off-guard spot," said backup guard Will Bynum, who's been Stuckey's teammate since the 2008-09 season, Stuckey's first as a starter.

"I think he's always been comfortable with his talent but playing the point guard early, you have to be in charge of yourself first and then direct grown men in position to score. You have to have the right personality."

Stuckey's persona has never appeared to be an outsized presence, one who commands attention. He's always preferred to blend in with the crowd and although he's arguably the Pistons' best two-way player, perhaps he's in his best position to succeed.

It's not that the pressure is off Stuckey; it's that he doesn't have to carry the burden alone of being "The Man," which is what he was tagged as four years ago when Chauncey Billups was traded.

"Chauncey's an excellent player and a better person. Plus, he won a title here," Bynum said. "It's an unfair expectation. Stuckey is his own man and creates his own expectations."

Now, there's a sense of calmness surrounding the 26-year-old Washington native. Well, calm as long as you're not guarding him, standing between the 6-foot-5 guard and the rim.

"Once you have more experience under your belt, you feel more calm and collected," Stuckey said. "I feel now I know how the game is going to go as far as pace and what spots I need to get to."

Never was that approach more evident than in March. Stuckey played like a top-flight shooting guard on both ends of the floor. The directions and expectations were clear: attack and we'll figure out everything else later.

"Just being aggressive," Stuckey said. "I was doing what I wanted to do out there. My main focus is to be more consistent through the season, all 82 games."

He said the ultimate key to the stretch, where he averaged 20.3 points and 4.8 assists, all while shooting 49 percent from the field and 41 from 3-point range, was being healthy, a tough task considering his bruising style.

He admits to learning more about himself as his NBA journey continues, not succumbing to frustration or rebelling against his coach, criticisms leveled during his time in Detroit. Mentally, he said, he's more in-tune than ever.

"If coach gets on me, it's none of that putting my head down and getting mad," Stuckey said. "It's taking it in and listening to what they have to say and trying to get better at it. I really am getting better at it."

During one stoppage of play in the preseason, Pistons coach Lawrence Frank pulled Stuckey aside and got on him for making a bad play. Stuckey put his arm around Frank and seconds later, both were laughing as play resumed, a sight that would've been impossible to imagine in previous years.

"We all make mistakes, it's how you bounce back from them," Stuckey said "That's what I'm trying to do, instead of turning those into negative thoughts, I'm trying to be positive and turning it into a better outcome."

Stuckey saw a psychologist before last season, which he said helped clear his mind and he also was given some summer reading from Frank, a book called "The Energy Bus" by Jon Gordon.

"It's a really good book, it's about being positive," Stuckey said. "He gave it to the majority of us. It's giving you different situations and dealing with different kinds of people. It was really helpful."

The one word Frank repeatedly used to describe Stuckey was the one people have been clamoring for once they saw how much talent he possesses: consistency.

"He's demonstrated good leadership skills with action and talk," Frank said. "He's very sharp, very engaged. He's committed on defense, attacked on offense. He's been very coachable. I really like him and the direction he's going."

Stuckey very quietly can take the next step and turn into an elite shooting guard this season. "It's all about being confident and staying at your own pace," he said. "If it's not me scoring 15 or 20 points a game, I'm trying to help my team out in different ways. We all have high expectations."

vgoodwill@detnews.com

twitter.com/vgoodwill
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2AlYyXhjA

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    Now let's see that translate on to the court.

vCash
    Is there a way to block shy from reading this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Is there a way to block shy from reading this?
    I made this just for him. lol

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    Will Stuckey ever break out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Will Stuckey ever break out?
    Don't worry. Stuckey will average 20+ points and 5 dimes a game. Just wait.

vCash
    I expect Stuckey to have a nice/efficient year.

vCash
    Unbelievable. He's a book reader now? Is this what hes been doing this offseason? No wonder he has had the worst preseason of his career! You know all this stuff that was said ... crap like "I don't put my head down when the coach corrects me, instead I put my arms around him and have laugh" ... all this is talk from a freakin rookie! This dude is in his 6th year and he is still a pansy. He should be coaching the coach, he should be drawing up plays, no instead were still treating him like a freakin baby

What a joke. After all this talk about him being a leader and working hard this offseason ... what he has to show for us was shooting 36% from the field and 26% from 3 while only getting 2.1 apg and 2.5 tpg. Its the same old ****
    This dude. This team is all talk! CV! him!
    Last edited by shyfly24; 10-31-2012 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012103...roit%20Pistons

Besides working on his three-point shot during the summer, Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey has seen the need to be more vocal this year because he's surrounded by youth.

What he has found is the youngsters have been willing to listen.

"We still have a lot of room for improvement, but I like the group of guys we have," said Stuckey, now a veteran who is 26 and entering his sixth NBA season.

"The guys come in and work hard and try to give good effort each and every day. That's all we want. It should be an exciting year. We just have to play together, and if we're all together on the defensive side of the ball, I think we can do good things."

Young at guard, center and backup small forward, the Pistons likely will be among the teams battling for one of the final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference.

While coach Lawrence Frank said he doesn't look ahead on the schedule, the Pistons start the season at home Wednesday against Houston before a tortuous six-game road trip out west.

Good teams usually rely on defense, especially on the road, and if the Pistons are to get off to a reasonably good start, they must defend better.

"Our main focus has been getting our defense down," Stuckey said. "On defense, all five must be on the court at the same time helping each other out. All five guys out there on a string."

Stuckey, Brandon Knight, Tayshaun Prince, Jason Maxiell and Greg Monroe are expected to start the season with a bench full of promising youngsters such as rookies Andre Drummond, Kyle Singler, Kim English, Khris Middleton and Slava Kravtsov.

"I have to speak a lot more this year," Stuckey said. "I think I've been doing a pretty good job of doing that in practice. They get it. These guys aren't hardheaded. They come in to work, and they want to learn."

Again, the same crap. How many years has he said this? I'm gonna be more vocal this year? And every year he disappointing. I don't understand why he has to say this, just go out there and do it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24 View Post
    Unbelievable. He's a book reader now? Is this what hes been doing this offseason? No wonder he has had the worst preseason of his career! You know all this stuff that was said ... crap like "I don't put my head down when the coach corrects me, instead I put my arms around him and have laugh" ... all this is talk from a freakin rookie! This dude is in his 6th year and he is still a pansy. He should be coaching the coach, he should be drawing up plays, no instead were still treating him like a freakin baby

What a joke. After all this talk about him being a leader and working hard this offseason ... what he has to show for us was shooting 36% from the field and 26% from 3 while only getting 2.1 apg and 2.5 tpg. Its the same old ****
    This dude. This team is all talk! CV! him!
    Because preseason numbers should be taken so seriously. Why don't you just chill out for once...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Because preseason numbers should be taken so seriously. Why don't you just chill out for once...
    Oh did you want me to take his playoff numbers? Or do should those not be taken seriously as well? Or maybe his stats against playoff teams last season, ya maybe we'll just discredit all those to. We'll just look at only the stats in the games he played good in, good call.

Don't act like Stuckey wasn't trying in those preseason games against defenses that could care less. And he still played like crap

vCash
    Oh did you want me to take his playoff numbers? Or do should those not be taken seriously as well? Or maybe his stats against playoff teams last season, ya maybe we'll just discredit all those to. We'll just look at only the stats in the games he played good in, good call.

Don't act like Stuckey wasn't trying in those preseason games against defenses that could care less. And he still played like crap
    There's not a large enough sample size to talk Playoff numbers. 07-08 was his rookie season and we played 4 games in the 08-09 Playoffs. (he did average 15 points a game and 5 assists)

Stuckey's not the player we had all hoped we were getting but all the hate is unnecessary. Stuckey can be a useful player. I don't ignore his shortcomings like you do his positives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    There's not a large enough sample size to talk Playoff numbers. 07-08 was his rookie season and we played 4 games in the 08-09 Playoffs. (he did average 15 points a game and 5 assists)

Stuckey's not the player we had all hoped we were getting but all the hate is unnecessary. Stuckey can be a useful player. I don't ignore his shortcomings like you do his positives.
    You don't ignore his shortcomings and yet you conveniently only post his playoff stats of 15pts and 5 assists and completely avoided the fact that he shot 37% from the field and 0% from 3 (0-8)

Look at his stats against playoff teams last season, that should be a big enough sample size for you

vCash
    You don't ignore his shortcomings and yet you conveniently only post his playoff stats of 15pts and 5 assists and completely avoided the fact that he shot 37% from the field and 0% from 3 (0-8)

Look at his stats against playoff teams last season, that should be a big enough sample size for you
    You need to chill out with your Stuckey banter, it is getting really old. If I see something on here that I am not interested in, I don't post on it. We all understand that you don't like him. You say the same stuff every post(stats against playoff teams, playoff #'s, every other possible negative, not becoming a leader, etc). I don't ever see you post much about Daye/Villenueva and their shortcomings, which are obviously worse than Stuckey's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsportsfan View Post
    You need to chill out with your Stuckey banter, it is getting really old. If I see something on here that I am not interested in, I don't post on it. We all understand that you don't like him. You say the same stuff every post(stats against playoff teams, playoff #'s, every other possible negative, not becoming a leader, etc). I don't ever see you post much about Daye/Villenueva and their shortcomings, which are obviously worse than Stuckey's.
    Really ... I don't diss on Daye CV and Joe D? Open up your 40 year old eye lids and start reading all my comments instead of the ones that only contain stuckeys name in it. Stuckey came in here bragging about training in the offseason, he tlked about being more of a vocal leader on this team, he is supposedly our best player and you are getting on my case cause I don't like what our "best" player is doing? Really?

When Monroe, Knight or anyone else on this team, if they have a bad game, do they come out w/ crap excuses like stuckey does? No

And I don't need to post that much about Daye and CV cause they barely get minutes on this team. I guess I'm gonna get on them when they didn't even hit the court
    Last edited by shyfly24; 11-01-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast