Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    I think Martin becomes more viable with each passing day - shorter season for him. I am extremely curious as to why no one has picked him up yet, though. Might be more to the story than we are privy to?
    He/ Kenyon has had locker room/ teammate issues in past, maybe it's health issue, maybe it's timing issue with DA/ Wyc, maybe issues with KG/PP/RR, maybe it's a piece/ part that will be added later.

I guess we will see soon hopefully.

I see the Celtics getting on nice little role here. a lot home games coming up and teams below 500. I just hope its not fools gold/ getting over our skies. A trade/ add needs to happen for playoff run, I hope....

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    I see the Celtics getting on nice little role here. a lot home games coming up and teams below 500. I just hope its not fools gold/ getting over our skies. A trade/ add needs to happen for playoff run, I hope....
    They finally have their rotation together... sans Wilcox anyway. They are on a bit of a run and the schedule is conducive for it to continue. I have to believe DAnny and Doc will exercise a degree of patience in determining if they have struck gold or fools gold as you say.

Even if we accept they built this team to go small with dethroning Miami in mind there remain two glaring weaknesses on the roster.

1) Interior defense and rebounding.

It will be interesting to see what impact Bradley's return will have on Wilcox's defensive productivity. Bradley has certainly raised everyone elses defensive intensity so we can hold hope Wilcox will show better as well.

1a) Another player capable of going for 20 points on a consistent basis.

Pierce is at 19 ppg and Garnett at 14 ppg. Rondo and Terry are the only other guys averaging double figures for the Celtics.

* Rondo is expanding his game and it is possible he could improve upon his current 13 ppg. Say to 15-16 ppg.

* Terry's stats are in steady decline and he hasn't scored 18 ppg since 2008-9. I hold no hope that he is suddenly going to find the fountain of youth.

Green and Lee are the most likely to improve their offensive productivity.

* Unfortunately Green is stuck behind Pierce.
    * For whatever reason Lee's defense and 50% shooting over the last month plus has not translated to an increased role and he remains mired in rotational hell behind Terry.

* Bradley's offensive production will improve over the coming games but I don't think he will jump from his current 7.5 to a consistent threat to score 20 points per game.

All the above ^^^ is, of course, why DeMarcus Cousins is such a tantalizing prospect. He scores, rebounds, defends, has a PER of 20 and a ridiculously cap friendly contract. He's a head case as well. And now that the team is being sold, probably untouchable without the future owners consent, whomever they might be.

Had these developments not occurred I think Paul Pierce might have been traded for Cousins, Evans and Garcia. I saw obscure mention of this trade possibility in a Sacramento paper a month or so ago. It works financially. It explains the waiving of Joseph and Varnado. Factor in Pierce's quote in The Boston Globe from August 4, 2012, "I think I am going to play this one out. I want to see what it feels like to be a free agent for once in my life. I think I am going to play this one out" and a lot of pieces seemed to be coming together. It builds for the future while also positioning them to make a run this season.

Rondo / Terry / Barbosa
    Bradley / Lee
    Green / Evans
    KG / Sullinger / Bass
    Cousins / Wilcox / Collins / Melo

Looks formidable.... provided Green is capable of scoring 18 ppg. Evans or Lee have to play the 3 behind Green. And of course, provided Cousins didn't completely implode or destroy the locker room.

I don't think there is a chance of this happening now that the Kings are reportedly (or allegedly) being sold, but I do believe it provides a blueprint for what DAnny has been contemplating and why there was so much play about the Celtics aggressively pursuing Cousins.

I don't know that there exists another player that could be the center piece of a trade like Cousins might have been - great talent and low salary allowing the Celtics to bring back both quality and quantity in exchange for Pierce.

It may force DAnny to use these next few weeks to really re-evaluate the current roster and mandate a much smaller trade involving role players or merely a FA agent signing. Maybe waiting to see if anyone is bought out.

Given how long this team took to gel, the potential benefit of any potential move has to be weighed against its potential to disrupt the chemistry we have seen them play with the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 01-13-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    They finally have their rotation together... sans Wilcox anyway. They are on a bit of a run and the schedule is conducive for it to continue. I have to believe DAnny and Doc will exercise a degree of patience in determining if they have struck gold or fools gold as you say.

Even if we accept they built this team to go small with dethroning Miami in mind there remain two glaring weaknesses on the roster.

1) Interior defense and rebounding.

It will be interesting to see what impact Bradley's return will have on Wilcox's defensive productivity. Bradley has certainly raised everyone elses defensive intensity so we can hold hope Wilcox will show better as well.

1a) Another player capable of going for 20 points on a consistent basis.

Pierce is at 19 ppg and Garnett at 14 ppg. Rondo and Terry are the only other guys averaging double figures for the Celtics.

* Rondo is expanding his game and it is possible he could improve upon his current 13 ppg. Say to 15-16 ppg.

* Terry's stats are in steady decline and he hasn't scored 18 ppg since 2008-9. I hold no hope that he is suddenly going to find the fountain of youth.

Green and Lee are the most likely to improve their offensive productivity.

* Unfortunately Green is stuck behind Pierce.
    * For whatever reason Lee's defense and 50% shooting over the last month plus has not translated to an increased role and he remains mired in rotational hell behind Terry.

* Bradley's offensive production will improve over the coming games but I don't think he will jump from his current 7.5 to a consistent threat to score 20 points per game.

All the above ^^^ is, of course, why DeMarcus Cousins is such a tantalizing prospect. He scores, rebounds, defends, has a PER of 20 and a ridiculously cap friendly contract. He's a head case as well. And now that the team is being sold, probably untouchable without the future owners consent, whomever they might be.

Had these developments not occurred I think Paul Pierce might have been traded for Cousins, Evans and Garcia. I saw obscure mention of this trade possibility in a Sacramento paper a month or so ago. It works financially. It explains the waiving of Joseph and Varnado. Factor in Pierce's quote in The Boston Globe from August 4, 2012, "I think I am going to play this one out. I want to see what it feels like to be a free agent for once in my life. I think I am going to play this one out" and a lot of pieces seemed to be coming together. It builds for the future while also positioning them to make a run this season.

Rondo / Terry / Barbosa
    Bradley / Lee
    Green / Evans
    KG / Sullinger / Bass
    Cousins / Wilcox / Collins / Melo

Looks formidable.... provided Green is capable of scoring 18 ppg. Evans or Lee have to play the 3 behind Green. And of course, provided Cousins didn't completely implode or destroy the locker room.

I don't think there is a chance of this happening now that the Kings are reportedly (or allegedly) being sold, but I do believe it provides a blueprint for what DAnny has been contemplating and why there was so much play about the Celtics aggressively pursuing Cousins.

I don't know that there exists another player that could be the center piece of a trade like Cousins might have been - great talent and low salary allowing the Celtics to bring back both quality and quantity in exchange for Pierce.

It may force DAnny to use these next few weeks to really re-evaluate the current roster and mandate a much smaller trade involving role players or merely a FA agent signing. Maybe waiting to see if anyone is bought out.

Given how long this team took to gel, the potential benefit of any potential move has to be weighed against its potential to disrupt the chemistry we have seen them play with the last 2 weeks.
    Very nice post.

I agree with a lot of your points here.

1) Interior defense and rebounding- must be addressed via trade/ add. Cannot be helped with any greater advantage by anyone on this roster today (01/14/2013).

Last point was good also, chemistry must be thought about.I feel its very important to make a move early/ rather than later, for this reason alone.

Again, if Celtics do not find rebounding/ interior defense, they will get run outta gym by Heat, Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, Ext...

Im not worried about regular season, I think they/ Celtics will put together a nice strech run here (as I posted week ago), but against these teams, at home, regular seasons means very little, playoff seeding/ chemistry maybe....

LARRY BIRD

vCash
    Ainge says roster is set.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...&dlvrit=834396

I think over the next five weeks a lot will be told,” he said. “I feel like we don’t have any glaring needs when we’re playing the way we’re playing. Everyone’s playing their role; whether they’re playing well all the time is not as much of a point if they are accepting a role and giving an honest day’s worth of work.”

We just need to keep flexibility in case something does happen,” he said. “Right now we don’t have a real need and we have players like Jason Collins and Leandro Barbosa who we really like and are hardly playing, so I don’t really see a need to bring someone else in, at least at this moment. We’re happy with our roster and we’re looking for improvement but we feel like we have plenty of bodies and Chris Wilcox should be back in not too long. I don’t think there’s any need to bring in someone right now to sit on the end of our bench.”

Reiterates a couple of the points I was attempting to make ^^^ above. With the recent improvement of play (and Cousins coming off the table) I don't believe DAnny feels the same urgency to make significant moves with the roster. I believe he is going to monitor the situation, but barring a catasrophic injury or an unforeseen can't refuse offer, any further move this season will be "minor" in nature.

The "big" move might be Melo being called up in March as I have mentioned elsewhere.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Ainge says roster is set.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...&dlvrit=834396

I think over the next five weeks a lot will be told,” he said. “I feel like we don’t have any glaring needs when we’re playing the way we’re playing. Everyone’s playing their role; whether they’re playing well all the time is not as much of a point if they are accepting a role and giving an honest day’s worth of work.”

We just need to keep flexibility in case something does happen,” he said. “Right now we don’t have a real need and we have players like Jason Collins and Leandro Barbosa who we really like and are hardly playing, so I don’t really see a need to bring someone else in, at least at this moment. We’re happy with our roster and we’re looking for improvement but we feel like we have plenty of bodies and Chris Wilcox should be back in not too long. I don’t think there’s any need to bring in someone right now to sit on the end of our bench.”

Reiterates a couple of the points I was attempting to make ^^^ above. With the recent improvement of play (and Cousins coming off the table) I don't believe DAnny feels the same urgency to make significant moves with the roster. I believe he is going to monitor the situation, but barring a catasrophic injury or an unforeseen can't refuse offer, any further move this season will be "minor" in nature.

The "big" move might be Melo being called up in March as I have mentioned elsewhere.
    Well then, watch this Celtics Team have no real shot at beating Miami Heat or returning to NBA Finals.

Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Spurs on glass/ rebounding ball, second shots in NBA Playoff's will be the demise of this team.

Also, this is what Danny's going to say, nothing new. He doesn't/ won't talk about any deals, or any possability's.

If Celtics go into the playoffs with Collins/ Wilcox as answers, they are in big trouble.

Now if you want a good season, solid team, makes strong run but no real shot. Here you go....enjoy

No reason to bring KG back, keep PP, sign Jet, if DA/ Doc didn't want to make another run.

LARRY BIRD

vCash
    It would be a gamble to stand pat.

The Heat are struggling with rebounding and have looked at Anderson.
    Bulls will depend in large part on Rose

Thunder and Spurs (among others) would present a real problem.

Given DAnny's history, and the timing of this article, it could well be an attempt to draw atention away from his working the phones for a deal. Time will tell.

vCash
    It would be a gamble to stand pat.

The Heat are struggling with rebounding and have looked at Anderson.
    Bulls will depend in large part on Rose

Thunder and Spurs (among others) would present a real problem.

Given DAnny's history, and the timing of this article, it could well be an attempt to draw atention away from his working the phones for a deal. Time will tell.
    100% correct^

I would agree, it would be a risk, " stand pat. "

I agree he/ Danny is holding everything close to his chest. He will say nothing im sure, also wants to remain the value of Celtic Players high.

I think everyone/ most see the holes in this roster. I also see us having the parts to make a move.

I think Danny would be missed, if he didn't make some move to address the #5 spot. Also his history has shown an ability to make a move.

Yes, I think a Gortat type move would help this team.

Yes, I think the Heat beat us like a drum in playoffs if moves are not made, remember it's not how teams (Heat, Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, Bulls, Ext..) are playing now but playoffs are different game.

I would hate to see Collins keep starting at #5 spot, with Wilcox health issues, there are questions with this roster.

LARRY BIRD

vCash
    Wilcox's unlar nerve injury could be much more serious than people realize. One of my sons experienced ulnar nerve damage after a compound fracture that left his hand "clawed". It took multiple surgeries and extensive (and unconventional rehab) to get him back to about 99%. Have to pray it is nothing that serious with Chris.

BTW, if you have twitter, you should follow Wilcox. He's an inspiring, positive, up beat guy that does a LOT in the community. A REALLY solid citizen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    Well then, watch this Celtics Team have no real shot at beating Miami Heat or returning to NBA Finals.

Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Spurs on glass/ rebounding ball, second shots in NBA Playoff's will be the demise of this team.
    Right, because it wasn't like last year when we were 5 minutes away, on the road, from getting to the NBA finals with Ryan Hollins and Greg Stiemsma as our bigs.

We now have Sullinger, Collins, and hopefully Wilcox, but we're doomed?? OK, Mr. Negativity.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Right, because it wasn't like last year when we were 5 minutes away, on the road, from getting to the NBA finals with Ryan Hollins and Greg Stiemsma as our bigs.

We now have Sullinger, Collins, and hopefully Wilcox, but we're doomed?? OK, Mr. Negativity.
    All signs point to Wilcox getting hurt again, and I still think we can sign someone better than Collins by March or whenever

But I do love me some Sully

vCash

We now have Sullinger, Collins, and hopefully Wilcox, but we're doomed ??OK, Mr. Negativity.

vCash
    i for one am not feeling the "infatuation" with jeff green. the thing is i dont dislike the guy but he doesnt fit our team, to me anyway. and collins is horrid!!!! id rather have jermaine back and boy did i not like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avengedchaos5 View Post
    i for one am not feeling the "infatuation" with jeff green. the thing is i dont dislike the guy but he doesnt fit our team, to me anyway. and collins is horrid!!!! id rather have jermaine back and boy did i not like him.
    This a good observation... or at least one I agree with and have made before. I have my own ideas about this, but would interested in reading you thoughts on why Green doesn't fit with this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avengedchaos5 View Post
    I know because O'Neal was so great for us in last year's playoffs.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    I know because O'Neal was so great for us in last year's playoffs.
    O'Neal had that monster game in the 2011 NY series. Dude played with a broken wrist or something, have to give him some credit

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast