Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    How long will it take?

I think the time might have arrived last night. Of course, we will not know conclusively for some time, but Paul Pierce taking control of the half-time locker room and spurring the second half comeback could have far reaching and long lasting impact.

Not to be lost in the celebration of last nights win is Doc's 180 in how he has been coaching this group. He has really struggled to set rotations, define roles and give the players his confidence in their ability to perform in the role he asks them to fill. Doc went into playoff mode for the second half last night - shortened rotation and the starters played big minutes without concern of saving them for ... something that might never come had they not gone balls to the wall.

As much as I have harped on Jason Terry I need to say he demonstrated an ability to play defense in the second half.

I inserted that comment here, because the second half is how this team was expected to perform. At least, that has been my expectation for them and I think if you would ask them, they would say it is their expectation for themselves. But one half of basketball played the way it is supposed to be played does not a season make. There is room for improvement, especially from the bench.

Two consecutive wins over teams with winning records. It could be a turning point. The situation was so bad, I didn't think last nights game was a "must win". It was only important to show consistency in effort and performance, to build in those regards off the performance against Indiana. Last night's second half may have moved that timetable up. Yes, establishing consistnecy and maintaining an acceptable level of collective effort remains important but now there is added significance to the next game. Monday at NY Knicks is suddenly a big game. A win would be huge but sustaining the effort we have seen in 6 of the last 8 quarters is crucial, even critical for this season.
    I told you Terry could turn the D on when he has to. If we can beat the Knicks Monday, we could be set up for nice little win streak with 3 out of the next 4 opponents having losing records. This could very well be a big turning point in the season, especially with a win in NY on Monday.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    I would like to see them start games a little better... Can't dig their way out of every hole...

They've played some of their best ball during the 2nd qtr this season...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    I told you Terry could turn the D on when he has to. If we can beat the Knicks Monday, we could be set up for nice little win streak with 3 out of the next 4 opponents having losing records. This could very well be a big turning point in the season, especially with a win in NY on Monday.
    One half of one game does not convince me.

He is a professional, and as such I expect professioal conduct 24/7 including playing defense to the best of his ability on any given day. I sincerely hope that is not what we have seen to date.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    I would like to see them start games a little better... Can't dig their way out of every hole...

They've played some of their best ball during the 2nd qtr this season...
    I thought Doc blew it last night. Thankfully he recovered in the 2nd half and did not.

Rondo / Terry
    Bradley / Lee
    Pierce / Green
    Bass / Sullinger
    KG / Collins

Doc held very close to those rotations in the Indiana win. Varied a very little, but not much. Last night he abandoned those rotations almost completely. When they went down 5 early he put Terry in for Bradley and at one point in the 2nd quarter went back to Rondo, Pierce, Green, Bass and KG. A true WTF moment. After the half time... and I wonder if Pierce didn't rip into Doc as well as his teammates - Doc returned to much simpler rotations and the team responded. I don't think it is coincidence.

Just as we want the team to develop consistency, Doc and the coaches must develop consistency too. Coaches are not immune to slumps... Doc has been in one, imo.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    I thought Doc blew it last night. Thankfully he recovered in the 2nd half and did not.

Rondo / Terry
    Bradley / Lee
    Pierce / Green
    Bass / Sullinger
    KG / Collins

Doc held very close to those rotations in the Indiana win. Varied a very little, but not much. Last night he abandoned those rotations almost completely. When they went down 5 early he put Terry in for Bradley and at one point in the 2nd quarter went back to Rondo, Pierce, Green, Bass and KG. A true WTF moment. After the half time... and I wonder if Pierce didn't rip into Doc as well as his teammates - Doc returned to much simpler rotations and the team responded. I don't think it is coincidence.

Just as we want the team to develop consistency, Doc and the coaches must develop consistency too. Coaches are not immune to slumps... Doc has been in one, imo.
    I think those were situational subs. You cant always just stick to a set rotation.

I believe Terry was put in to try n spark the offense, and doc went with the big line up to try n slow down Williams.

I noticed tho Green has been playing less minutes, which is good because he plays with no passion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    I think those were situational subs. You cant always just stick to a set rotation.

I believe Terry was put in to try n spark the offense, and doc went with the big line up to try n slow down Williams.

I noticed tho Green has been playing less minutes, which is good because he plays with no passion.
    Good points.

My point is that Doc should wait until after his own initial rotations before adjusting to the other team. He did not do that late 1st / early second quarter last night.

Make situational substitutions after the initial rotations? Yeah, there are nights you have to adjust to opponents, but first see if you can make them adjust to you. That's all I'm saying. And in the second half last night it was Atl. adjusting to the Celtics.

vCash
    He shouldn't stick to his own set rotation. Doc should be adjusting to what the opposing team is doing, that's why they went big.

Bass was playing well too so he deserved the minutes

The one thing we have this year is versatility and we shouldn't be afraid to use it. KG can be the 4 or 5, let Terry switch between the point and shooting guard. Pierce can split the wings, green can be at either forward spot. It's all about matchups really

vCash
    Whatever Pierce said in the locker room at half time in Atl should be bottled.

TEAM win tonight.

Everyone played well. Terry continues mired in the worst slump of his career but tonight found other ways to contribute with 4 rebounds and 5 assists.

Backcourt of Lee and Barbosa is impressive and fun. Lots of energy. Lots of aggressiveness.'

Green stepped up with a solid performance ina big game. Gotta love that.

This is what I expected at the start of the season. They still need a big, but small ball when played like this is pretty impressive too. I'm now hoping DAnny doesn't do anything crazy where this team has to regroup and redefine its identity.

Just keep stringing games like this together.

vCash
    ...How long before someone makes a trade Rondo thread?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    They played well without him.

I have been thinking that Rondo struggled with his role as much or more than any of them have. He dominated the ball during the first part of the season and really racked up the assists. But this kid is really smart with an exceptional basketball IQ. In previous games when he had to sit the Celtics moved the ball pretty well too. I think he noticed that. He has not dominated the ball nearly as much over the last several games. I don't think this is coincidence. Someone posted they thought he needs to score 18 points a game. I think a balance of 8 assists and 16 pts a game would be good for him... and the Celtics. Tonight they had 26 assists spread over 7 different players on 39 made fgs. Pierce with 6, Bradley and Terry with 5 each to lead the way. That's pretty impressive, but I don't know it's a statement for trading Rondo as much as it is a blueprint for how this team needs to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Rondo is one of my favorite players and no doubt one of the most talented players in the game. I know its one game and I cant think of any specifics but I seem to remember the Celts playing decent in other games hes missed. You have to think from an organization stand point he may not be as untouchable as you'd think. He has all the skill to do what he wants but the problem has always been his head and decisions could be made if they dont think he is ever going to grow up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrianscal View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Rondo is one of my favorite players and no doubt one of the most talented players in the game. I know its one game and I cant think of any specifics but I seem to remember the Celts playing decent in other games hes missed. You have to think from an organization stand point he may not be as untouchable as you'd think. He has all the skill to do what he wants but the problem has always been his head and decisions could be made if they dont think he is ever going to grow up.
    Ok, let's all relax a little. Celtics are not trading Rondo, not now... not next year...not year after that.

As one would say, " thats just cooky person talk! " Now Boston may look at trades, we will see. But Rondo will not be part of any, book it.

Back to thread, I think Doc should rest KG/ PP more. Listen we know what were getting with them. What we don't know/ know yet, what are we getting from Jeff Green, Sully, Bass.

I also don't like Collins getting these mins. The guy cannot help us at all vs Miami, Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, Ext.....

Collins was brought in as last option, extra locker room guy. He literally cannot jump.....no the man 67y and cannot get off the ground. It's like watch Tree Rollins in his last year or Robert Parish, it hurts my eyes. I love his effort but old father time has caught him.

This team needs to figure out #5 spot and fast. I know they have 3 straight but Celtics are still 17-17........

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    Ok, let's all relax a little. Celtics are not trading Rondo, not now... not next year...not year after that.

As one would say, " thats just cooky person talk! " Now Boston may look at trades, we will see. But Rondo will not be part of any, book it.

Back to thread, I think Doc should rest KG/ PP more. Listen we know what were getting with them. What we don't know/ know yet, what are we getting from Jeff Green, Sully, Bass.

I also don't like Collins getting these mins. The guy cannot help us at all vs Miami, Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, Ext.....

Collins was brought in as last option, extra locker room guy. He literally cannot jump.....no the man 67y and cannot get off the ground. It's like watch Tree Rollins in his last year or Robert Parish, it hurts my eyes. I love his effort but old father time has caught him.

This team needs to figure out #5 spot and fast. I know they have 3 straight but Celtics are still 17-17........
    Good post.

1) I have no problem with Pierce and KG logging big minutes these last couple of games, but overall you are correct. They need more rest whenever they can get it.

2) I don't mind Collins getting minutes on the journey to the playoffs. Everyone has a role and he fills his very well in the sense he knows what it is and stays within himself. He's been taking some Garnett minutes (see #1 ^)

3) The 5 spot...."the trade" for position. Think of what this team accomplished with Steimsma as the primary backup. Collins? Maybe even Wilcox in there? My point is, DeMarcus Cousins is not needed. Just a serviceable big man. The type of guy that DAnny would not have to disrupt the entire roster for. Someone somewhere between Cousins and Collins. Favors, Kanter, Udoh, et al.

4) Giddy about the 3 game winning streak? Yeah. Three straight over winning teams with two of those coming on the road. Can they sustain the level of intensity, effort and play they have shown the last 6 quarters? They will still have ups and downs BUT they now have a blueprint, something to build upon.... they have re-established themselves as or perhaps merely remembered they are, a defensive team.

Question: The Garnett / Anthony confrontations last night. Do you see the league office getting involved? Anthony pursuing Garnett will draw attention, but what about Garnett's role in provoking Anthony?
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 01-08-2013 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    Good post.

1) I have no problem with Pierce and KG logging big minutes these last couple of games, but overall you are correct. They need more rest whenever they can get it.

2) I don't mind Collins getting minutes on the journey to the playoffs. Everyone has a role and he fills his very well in the sense he knows what it is and stays within himself. He's been taking some Garnett minutes (see #1 ^)

3) The 5 spot...."the trade" for position. Think of what this team accomplished with Steimsma as the primary backup. Collins? Maybe even Wilcox in there? My point is, DeMarcus Cousins is not needed. Just a serviceable big man. The type of guy that DAnny would not have to disrupt the entire roster for. Someone somewhere between Cousins and Collins. Favors, Kanter, Udoh, et al.

4) Giddy about the 3 game winning streak? Yeah. Three straight over winning teams with two of those coming on the road. Can they sustain the level of intensity, effort and play they have shown the last 6 quarters? They will still have ups and downs BUT they now have a blueprint, something to build upon.... they have re-established themselves as or perhaps merely remembered they are, a defensive team.

Question: The Garnett / Anthony confrontations last night. Do you see the league office getting involved? Anthony pursuing Garnett will draw attention, but what about Garnett's role in provoking Anthony?
    " Do you see the league office getting involved? " No I don't, I didn't see enough there that would warrant the league to hand down punishment. I think they will review/ make findings and move forward.

4)- I enjoy the 3 game winning streak also, but im very cautious. Yes a win is just that, a win. But fools gold if some changes are not made, they are as follows.

1. Set more defined player roles.

2. Defense must come first/ back to basics....

3. Team chemistry, need to see more, " gel " from likes Green, Lee, Bass, Ext..

4. Rebound...rebound...rebound...It starts and ends there also.

5. Figure out the #5 spot. I agree they don't HAVE/ MUST have Cousins (ext) type player but Gorat and Martin are needed. I think you need two.

Just a few of my thoughts....your thoughts / everyones are always welcome.

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    I think Martin becomes more viable with each passing day - shorter season for him. I am extremely curious as to why no one has picked him up yet, though. Might be more to the story than we are privy to?

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast