Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMan360 View Post
    I think you guys are putting way too much blame on Doc and not enough on Danny Ainge.
    If you've been following my posts you know I do not absolve Danny Ainge.

In fact, I have alluded to a dis-connect between DA and Doc.

DA assembled a younger roster with players that looked to be ascending in their careers mixed with a handful of aging veterans. Doc has predictably played veterans over the young players - he's starting Terry and Collins for crying out loud and actually lauding the play of Collins.

Doc doesn't have the patience to allow young kids to play themselves into a role. Aging vets who make the same mistakes as the young kids have a much longer leash for some reason?

I think it clear Doc is not the right coach for this roster... and I say that being Doc's biggest fan.

That is not a proclamation that Doc must go. No, there is a choice to be made. Fire Doc or revamp the roster trading away young assets and giving Doc the veteran players is comfortable relying on.

The Celtics could certainly obtain aging vets in exchange for young players like Lee, Green, Sullinger, Bass, Joseph, Melo, Varnado. It would set the franchise back a decade, but it could be done.

Or they can bring in a coach that will play the young kids in well defined roles with consistent minutes.

IMO, Lee, Green and Sullinger should have been starting for the last month plus. Paired with KG and Rondo they would have grown into their roles. Pierce, Bass and Terry would be deadly against opposing subs. Come crunch time in the 4th quarter - play whomever has had the best night.

So, something has to give.... either the coach or the roster. That's DAnny's decision to make. Easier to change coaches than a roster but changing a roster could be done.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    Exactly!!! In no way should Collins be starting an NBA game in 2012 or 2013. Terry keeps telling us outright he is a bench player. Why bring in running-mates for Rondo and then not have him run with them?

Danny bought the groceries, but Doc is burning dinner.
    Doc blew it by not playing Darko in the early games of the season. It may have had an influence on him staying if he got some starts. It's clear Doc's small ball has not worked and now he's trying to adjust by throwing Collins in there. It just isn't working.

This is clearly our worst looking season of the KG era, and we need a big deal like getting Demarcus Cousins in here, or we're doomed, regardless of how much smothering D Bradley plays when he returns.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Doc blew it by not playing Darko in the early games of the season. It may have had an influence on him staying if he got some starts. It's clear Doc's small ball has not worked and now he's trying to adjust by throwing Collins in there. It just isn't working.

This is clearly our worst looking season of the KG era, and we need a big deal like getting Demarcus Cousins in here, or we're doomed, regardless of how much smothering D Bradley plays when he returns.
    Maybe.

Darko was really, really out of shape though. Looked like he weighed 300+ pounds.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    It was still a big body in the paint we needed. In contrast, Collins looks slimmer than he has all his career. He's definitely not the brooding force we need underneath right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    It was still a big body in the paint we needed. In contrast, Collins looks slimmer than he has all his career. He's definitely not the brooding force we need underneath right now.
    Collins is so old school he hasn't yet earned the "retro" tag and come back into fashion.

vCash
    Collins shouldn't see the floor unless a major injury happens, period. That fact that he's starting tells you everything about this team...sorry but true.

I would take another former Hawk and start him over Collins--Kevin Willis, I think he's younger to....

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    Collins shouldn't see the floor unless a major injury happens, period. That fact that he's starting tells you everything about this team...sorry but true.

I would take another former Hawk and start him over Collins--Kevin Willis, I think he's younger to....
    It tells me everything I need to know about DOC.

He's trying cram Terry into Allen's role and Collins into Perks role.

Doc has weapons he is not using or not utilizing properly. He needs to define roles and give players his confidence that they can fill the roles he assigns them to. That is not happening. Guys are playing hesitantly instead of just playing. They are thinking too much instead of playing freely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    It tells me everything I need to know about DOC.

He's trying cram Terry into Allen's role and Collins into Perks role.

Doc has weapons he is not using or not utilizing properly. He needs to define roles and give players his confidence that they can fill the roles he assigns them to. That is not happening. Guys are playing hesitantly instead of just playing. They are thinking too much instead of playing freely.
    Yeah maybe...... I just don't like this team as a whole. I know it's early but as I have/ others stated, Celtics are to thin at #5 spot, lack rebounding, lack inside ability.

When you put it together you have KG that likes the 10-17ft range, Bass that also likes 10-17ft range to float.

Also, to many backcourt players (Lee, Rondo, Terry, Green, Barb, PP, Bradley). Most that like to play from 15-20+ft out.

I would be on the phone looking to make moves, period.

On top of that I would call K. Mart agent.

Post All- Star break you look at a Celtics like this. (listed below)

PG- Rondo
    SG- Terry
    SF- PP
    PF- Garnett
    C- Cousins

Bench- Green, Sully, Barb, Kenyon Martin, Lee

It seems more balanced.....

You trade Bradley, Bass, Melo, pick for Cousins..

I like that team alot more than the one we have now

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    They won't trade Bradley.

vCash
    Rondo
    Bradley
    Pierce
    Sullinger
    Garnett

Lee
    Green
    (________)

Trade Terry, Bass and whomever else to get a BIG for the second unit.

Eight man rotation and see if they can right this ship.

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be. -John Wooden
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 01-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.

vCash
    I am convinced Jason Terry' offense is not worth his lack of defense.

He struggles to stay in front of his man.
    Gets beat on the dribble.
    Gets beat on an amazing number of back cuts.
    Refuses to fight over a screen settling to go under.
    Doesn't box out.
    Refuses to give a foul even

He is pretty decent at off the ball defending.
    He gets ball-you-man.
    He sags off his man well.
    Got the run out down pat... probably to a fault.

Collins.... the guy knows his limitations and his role.
    Slower than molasses
    Hands of stones
    The guys a dinosaur.

A while back I posted something to the affect of not knowing where to start building with this team. Benching these two guys is the place to start. Terry would not be happy with that so he must go. Collins knows his role and would likely be the first to tell you he is being over extended in his role right now.

With Lee and Barbosa, Terry is expendable.

Terry and Bass plus anyone else on the roster not yet mentioned and / or draft picks to get a big. And it doesn't have to be a star quality big like has been discussed on this forum. Energy player that defends, protects the rim and can clean up the garbage around the basket.

Solve these two issues and this team can turn the corner. If a BIG cannot be obtained and / or Terry continues to be relied upon for 30 minutes a game... I'm not sure they make the playoffs.

vCash
    Terry exposes our interior D, and our interior D exposes Terry because guards pretty much expect the paint to be wide open. And it always is

It's cyclical

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    Terry exposes our interior D, and our interior D exposes Terry because guards pretty much expect the paint to be wide open. And it always is

It's cyclical
    Very true.

There was a point, late first half I believe, when Bass at the top of the key overplayed his man to force him to Bass' left. A clear signal that he wanted help to that side. His man took him off the dribble to that side and none of Bass' teammates stepped in. No one on the first 2 dribbles for the double team and no one at the arc to take a charge or defend the rim.

I related that becuase I don't want anyone to think Terry is the only problem with the defense. However, do note the difference in Bass' intentionally forcing his opponent one direction expecting help and Terry just getting blown by.

This is why I do not believe acquiring another big will address Terry's defensive issues. It could help in situations like the one presented by Bass though.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 01-03-2013 at 06:29 AM.

vCash
    That's pretty good insight. Normally I'm just watching the ball bounce around, I never played or coached like you did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    That's pretty good insight. Normally I'm just watching the ball bounce around, I never played or coached like you did
    Thanks for the kind words.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast