Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The single thing bothering me the most is the lack of chemistry on this team. The pieces just do not seem to be fitting together smoothly. It is possible Doc's ever changing lineups and rotations contribute to this. Players need to have defined roles to develop consistency.

There are a handful of guys who have no idea what to expect game in and game out.

Lee - is he starting or coming off the bench. Will he play 10 minutes or be asked to give 25+ ? Who will he be playing with in the backcourt?

Bass - is he starting or coming off the bench? Will he play 30 minutes or 10? Who is he going to paired with... and this is really important here because his role changes based upon which of the bigs he's asked to play along side.

Sullinger - Is he going to start? Is he going to play 8 minutes or be asked to go 20+? Is he a center or a PF? And this is being done to / asked of a rookie.

Even Jason Terry... is he starting or coming off the bench? Limited to 20 really solid minutes or asked to play 35 ragged minutes? Paired with Rondo or asked to lead the second unit?

Barbosa has no idea if he will play, play for 3 minutes or be given 20 minutes any given night.

Jason Collins went from DNP-coaching decision to starting center with next to nothing in between.

The need to rest Pierce and Garnett is recognized and a plan is in place to do so with KG yet they rack up more minutes than Doc would like to give them? Mind boggling when Doc is the decision maker on this. The expectation of players like Green and Lee seems to be for perfection they have such a short leash, but Terry can go 1-14 and have plays drawn up for him at crunch time?

There needs to be some consistency in roles to allow team chemistry time to develop. It cannot all be about waiting for Bradley's return. Bradley playing is not going to suddenly transform this team into a well-oiled title contender. Green and Lee especially need to be consistent positive contributors for this team but they need well-defined roles with consistent minutes to develop into their roles - something neither has gotten to date.

Starting line ups, rotations, playing time.... that's on Doc. He has to stop thinking "versatility" and establish lineups, rotations and playing time. Then versatility can emerge and take care of itself.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post

Mack is putting together the type of consistent performance that leads me to believe with each minute he plays with Maine he is a step closer to playing in the NBA, hopefully for the Celtics as Rondo's back up.

That is at least until a trade occurs. I fully expect one, possibly two, of the guards currently on the Celtics roster to be traded and Mack being signed.
    I was impressed with Mack when he was at Butler, and he continued to impress me while in Maine... He is a prototypical back-up point guard for an NBA team... I don't care about the what-ifs for him about starting because of Rondo... Don't forget that Dooling is still looming as a coach which could help his development...

I know the need is a big and I think if Mack shows something at this open try-out a move could be in the works for one of the other guards to possibly attain a big... IMO Terry has the most value to trade...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash

How long will it take?

I was a big fan of Mack in his college days and to be honest dont follow the Maine team as much i should but from my memory he was a beast in college. Anything that will inspire Danny to make a move for a big and get rid of the unnecessary amount if guards we have. Terry should be shopped first IMO because i think most value is there. This will also solve the fact that after rondo there is no true back up pg.. We have shooting guards for days a few of which are good ball handlers but none are true pgs.

Im the same breathe if they can get good value out of a trade including lee or Barbosa rather then terry, that might be the best option, once Bradley's back having 2 potential go to scoters in green and terry off the bench could be a great luxury.

vCash
    Looks like Mack is heading to Washington... I think he would have been a decent back-up to Rondo next season...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...izards-insider
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    The single thing bothering me the most is the lack of chemistry on this team. The pieces just do not seem to be fitting together smoothly. It is possible Doc's ever changing lineups and rotations contribute to this. Players need to have defined roles to develop consistency.

There are a handful of guys who have no idea what to expect game in and game out.

Lee - is he starting or coming off the bench. Will he play 10 minutes or be asked to give 25+ ? Who will he be playing with in the backcourt?

Bass - is he starting or coming off the bench? Will he play 30 minutes or 10? Who is he going to paired with... and this is really important here because his role changes based upon which of the bigs he's asked to play along side.

Sullinger - Is he going to start? Is he going to play 8 minutes or be asked to go 20+? Is he a center or a PF? And this is being done to / asked of a rookie.

Even Jason Terry... is he starting or coming off the bench? Limited to 20 really solid minutes or asked to play 35 ragged minutes? Paired with Rondo or asked to lead the second unit?

Barbosa has no idea if he will play, play for 3 minutes or be given 20 minutes any given night.

Jason Collins went from DNP-coaching decision to starting center with next to nothing in between.

The need to rest Pierce and Garnett is recognized and a plan is in place to do so with KG yet they rack up more minutes than Doc would like to give them? Mind boggling when Doc is the decision maker on this. The expectation of players like Green and Lee seems to be for perfection they have such a short leash, but Terry can go 1-14 and have plays drawn up for him at crunch time?

There needs to be some consistency in roles to allow team chemistry time to develop. It cannot all be about waiting for Bradley's return. Bradley playing is not going to suddenly transform this team into a well-oiled title contender. Green and Lee especially need to be consistent positive contributors for this team but they need well-defined roles with consistent minutes to develop into their roles - something neither has gotten to date.

Starting line ups, rotations, playing time.... that's on Doc. He has to stop thinking "versatility" and establish lineups, rotations and playing time. Then versatility can emerge and take care of itself.
    Doc's biggest weakness is his rotations and playing time for everyone. He's even admitted he can't adjust in game, and would have to talk it over with coaches for a plan for the next game, but I also think he's poor at doing it that way, too.

I don't like how everyone is saying Courtney Lee doesn't contribute and is a bust offensively. Well, the guy got 30 minutes per game last year, and he is only getting 24 this year. If you knocked 6 minutes off Paul Pierce's minutes, he'd look like he was struggling on offense, too. Lee's 3 point production is anemic, yes, but his regular FG% is currently the best of his career.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Looks like Mack is heading to Washington... I think he would have been a decent back-up to Rondo next season...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...izards-insider
    damn
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Doc's biggest weakness is his rotations and playing time for everyone. He's even admitted he can't adjust in game, and would have to talk it over with coaches for a plan for the next game, but I also think he's poor at doing it that way, too.

I don't like how everyone is saying Courtney Lee doesn't contribute and is a bust offensively. Well, the guy got 30 minutes per game last year, and he is only getting 24 this year. If you knocked 6 minutes off Paul Pierce's minutes, he'd look like he was struggling on offense, too. Lee's 3 point production is anemic, yes, but his regular FG% is currently the best of his career.
    I agree about Lee and think this is especially true for Green as well.

On the other hand, I think he's playing Pierce and Terry too many minutes.

Pierce has been great the last two games but is not going to sustain that level of production for the rest of the season. Terry's shooting suffers in succeeding games when he plays extended minutes.

These are correctable problems which gives room for hope provided Doc can learn to trust Lee and Green.

vCash
    are strength is also are weakness. we are deep but too deep to keep the loaded backcourt happy with minutes. also gets in the way of some of guys like terry and green getting into their scoring rhythms when sharing minutes with so many others. I think if a trade is to be worked out we make a package involving a bunch of the spare parts we have and trade them for 1 or 2 valuable pieces of need.

vCash
    43 points, 14 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 Steals and 2 blocked shots from the bench today.

I don't know that the C's need this level of production from their bench every game but it seems to almost be an all or nothing proposition with this group?

Basically an 8 or 9 man rotation - Collins does play much due to getting a foul about every 2 minutes he's on the court but his presence has been important these last few games.

Doc did a better job with the rotations and "role setting" today. Let's hope he can build on it. Green and Sullinger made it easier on him, but Lee and Bass had decent minutes as well. Of course, Bradley's imminent return will complicate things. Still, there's hope.

vCash
    What can Bradley do for this team?

1) Solidify perimeter defense.

Terry (and Lee) get moved to the roles they were brought to Boston to fill - second team backcourt. Neither should be a starter on this team. Terrywas once an average defender but he cannot even get by with basketball IQ / experience on his side against starters at this stage of his career. Lee is capable, but for some reason Doc has had him guarding points with Rondo on 2's.... smh.... wears Rondo out and Lee is far better suited to guarding big guards.

2) Solidify roles and rotations.

Doc speaks of flexibility but that's going out the window with Bradley's return... I hope.

Rondo / Terry
    Bradley / Lee
    Pierce / Green

That much shoulld be set. Terry may get some of the mins behind Bradley, but that's nitpicking.

The Bigs?

Who starts along side KG and who is the first big off the bench?

I think Collins stays the starter and rightfully so. It seems every year he starts as an after thought, just hanging around filling a roster spot, but there comes a point in the season when he's called upon for 12-15 minutes a game, proves his worth and plays out the season in that role. Unless or until a trade brings a quality big Collins has his role. Statring him allows for one of KG, Collins and (Wilcox) / Sullinger to fil the enter role at all times, but especially at the 1st quarter/ 2nd quarter lull when KG is rested or the attempt is made to rest him.

3) Urgency. Bradley's on the ball pressure will help ramp up the intensity on this team. KG almost always brings it. Everyone keys on Pierce's re-emergence the last week or so, but it's not the points or assists that has re-emerged, it's Pierce's fire / spirit, his intensiy that has been renewed. Coincides with Bradley beginning to practice?

4) I still think the C's need another quality big, but it will not be as much of a glaring weakness with Bradley's return.

*** That's a helluva lot of impact to expect from one player, but the C's season rests upon it coming to fruition. If these things do not happen, then a major trade is the only thing that can salvage the season.

vCash
    What can Bradley do for this team?
    Cut to the basket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    Cut to the basket
    This is true, but it is not as glaring a need as last year. Sullinger makes good cuts to the basket. Lee actually isn't bad at it. And there is more dribble penetration than last season as well - Rondo, Terry, Green, Lee can all put the ball on the floor and get into the lane / to the rim. Plus Pierce has seemed revitalized lately - going right to left again and with authority that has not been present for awhile.

vCash
    In interviews, Rondo sounds like he's placing too much emphasis on Avery's return. He shouldn't have that mentality and should be saying "I can do more now even without him here".

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    In interviews, Rondo sounds like he's placing too much emphasis on Avery's return. He shouldn't have that mentality and should be saying "I can do more now even without him here".
    IMO he's building Bradley's confidence up and letting him know his spot is still his... The kid hasn't played in game since last post season... He's also maybe lighting a little fire under Lee and Terry's ***...

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by forever35 View Post
    imo he's building bradley's confidence up and letting him know his spot is still his... The kid hasn't played in game since last post season... He's also maybe lighting a little fire under lee and terry's ***...
    x2

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast