Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    It's amazing reading some post. It's what others/ I were saying before the year.

1. Boston- Can't rebound, Can't defend inside without KG, No good option at center #5 without KG, can't hold leads, play tight late in games.

2. Darko isn't in shape and looks rough.

3. J. Green is not playing aggressive. Looks lost at times.

4. P. Pierce looks very old right now, taking bad shots.

Sounds like what myself and few others have been saying. So thin up front, it's a matter of time...... That train is never late!
    i think you nailed it on these.

as far as PP, some guys when they age they do everything a little less... paul seems like he is going to give you his classic game 1-2 nights per wk, instead of 3-4...and the nights he is not vintage he stinks.

i think its still early enough to be in knee-jerk stage, but i originally didnt like the green investment, than he looked strong and comfortable preseason,.. now its like what ive always thought of him... he's ok
    Last edited by Rain City; 11-06-2012 at 03:22 AM.

vCash
    good reads on the last page,

i agree that at the 5 spot it looks like an eye sore,

im not worried about terry, he's one of those mid 30s ballers, im sure he will put us over top in a bunch of games this year, in alot of em we just have to tolerate him.

vCash
    we still have no legit post presence and thats what we lack most.

vCash
    KG's back up is the most glaring question.

There are other concerns but the roster seems to have enough depth to eventually answer them.

Not so at center. Hopes rest largely on the shoulders (and heart) of Wilcox. How quickly he gets up to speed, if indeed he does return to an approximation of his former self, will be key.

Milicic would not be in the league were he not 7'0" and 275 pounds. This signing was a reach by DA, a desperation move. Although Milicic will likely play more he is basically suited to the same role as Jason Collins.

Jason Collins is the insurance policy.

Fab Melo is the future. I love the pick and think by his third year he will emerge with value. That said, selecting Melo begat Milicic and Collins who are basically anchors at the end of the roster.

After Wilcox, the best hope lies with Milicic rounding into form as a servicable back up to Garnett. I actually think DA may have seen something of Perk in Milicic - someone who could play some post defense, pick up a couple of garbage baskets, grab a couple boards and generally protect the paint. IMO, that's asking more than he can give.

What I expect we will see is Melo forced into action before he is ready. He will have the defensive presence needed... in time.

The only other option is to trade for a decent back up. One of the guards, Milicic / Collins / Wilcox and or possibly Joseph as the bait? Not sure that we could expect enough back?
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Who needs Darko, Melo, or Collins when Doc has shown through 3 games that he is staying small and not playing any centers.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    since 2005-06, darko has been an NBA role player, hes had 5 seasons where hes averaged 20+min/per, and a couple others where he has been close to that. although these were bad teams where he wasnt of huge value in his role.

at 27 hes still in his physical prime (if in shape).

he flashed good D in the preseason.

id like to think he can still be better than a jason collins clone. hopefully doc is just giving him mental reps on the bench, waiting for him to get in better shape so he can build up to a productive 10 or so min/per game by mid season.

i know darko has been a punch line for his career, i thought this was a wily offseason move, that with his mindset coming in and our system that he could pay dividends in a position of need... id like to know what the plan is tho with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    since 2005-06, darko has been an NBA role player, hes had 5 seasons where hes averaged 20+min/per, and a couple others where he has been close to that. although these were bad teams where he wasnt of huge value in his role.

at 27 hes still in his physical prime (if in shape).

he flashed good D in the preseason.

id like to think he can still be better than a jason collins clone. hopefully doc is just giving him mental reps on the bench, waiting for him to get in better shape so he can build up to a productive 10 or so min/per game by mid season.

i know darko has been a punch line for his career, i thought this was a wily offseason move, that with his mindset coming in and our system that he could pay dividends in a position of need... id like to know what the plan is tho with him.

Can he be? Sure. That's what people have been saying for the last 6 years or so. It is unlikely he will somehow come into untapped talent just because he is a Celtic. Consider your homerism factor. If he were on any other team, you'd write him off. Darko can be a SMALL piece for this team. He shouldn't and won't play more than 5-8 MPG. We don't need him, and if we do, we aren't a contending team. Collins can at least provide a role in the postseason and a situational matchup. I'd be surprised if Darko arises and solidifies a spot in the rotation. But if he does, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Posey finished in 8th place for 6th man of the year voting that season. He was our first off the bench, and one of our best reserves, but he was not a caliber of someone who wins the 6th man of the year award. He was 7PPG and 24MPG. Not even close to what 6th men of the year candidates get. They always get close to 30MPG or more and always get up over double digits in scoring. Big Baby came in 4th one year in 6th man voting, and that was the year he put up nearly 12 PPG. Posey wasn't even close to double digits in scoring. Guess who came in 3rd in 07/08 sixth man voting? Terry.
    Please. Posey was a key player in the regular season, having about as much value as Perkins (in his prime, not the piece of trash he is now). Posey put up big defense and very nice shooting %'s. A guy that averages 7.4 PPG on 5.6 FGA is doing a good job. Too bad the knuckleheads that vote for the 6th man focus so much on scoring. Havlicek and McHale are two of the best in league history and both were great two way players.

In the post season he did more then Rondo and Perkins.

Posey had a great year. The biggest arguments against him are Powe, House, and Davis were also real good off the bench that year.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 11-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Who needs Darko, Melo, or Collins when Doc has shown through 3 games that he is staying small and not playing any centers.
    Probably because like most of the folks here that he doesn't have any Centers worthy of the name outside of KG - a 4/5 if there ever was one.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Probably because like most of the folks here that he doesn't have any Centers worthy of the name outside of KG - a 4/5 if there ever was one.
    Agreed^

Melo isn't NBA ready at all, period. The guy cannot play in the NBA right now, he needs a lot of work.

Im not saying he won't in the furture(year/two), but right now, he can't play.

Celtics front court is a mess (short) and our back court (long) is having trouble finding/ meeting roles.

Courtney Lee looks really tight, he needs to relax, find a corner, get to it, and knock down some shots. Why is he standing around, Celtics need movement.

Hopeful it will come,soon....

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    ive been so used to seeing KG with his length, awareness, agility routinely being able to cover up mistakes on the defensive end and almost single-handedly being able to make the celts a top 3 defensive team in the NBA.

toward the end of last playoffs i noticed KG losing a little on D, showing up in some foot quickness and having his hands down. it seems like this year that is carrying over a little, along with less ability to score out of the post (seems strictly a jump shooter) and hes become an average rebounder.

no knock on KG at all, its just getting to that time he needs more help.

vCash
    Looks like it will take a while longer.

Serious question: Is Pierce just in a slump?

He rebounded well, had a few steals, got to the line and limited his turnovers, Just can't throw in the ocean from the field.

Question: Is Boston too big a stage for Lee?

Question: Is Bradley the missing piece?

General observation on my part: I think Wilcox is going to have play 18+ mins / game. And Doc is going to have to use a deeper rotation than he has been accustomed to doing.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Serious question: Is Pierce just in a slump?
    It's more than that, but is correctable. He's not getting off the ground the same way, and his coiling of his body with his release is off just a tad. It's sort of like at the end of a long game, a shooter can't shoot as well because he's not getting the same air and his mechanics are getting sluggish. Ask again in 15 games.

Question: Is Boston too big a stage for Lee?
    Tight. Very tight. Bradley would help get Lee tucked into his time slot. I think with the other guards playing well you could easily take 5 MPG away from Lee, and that might help.

General observation on my part: I think Wilcox is going to have play 18+ mins / game. And Doc is going to have to use a deeper rotation than he has been accustomed to doing.
    When Wilcox is healthy and in game shape, he's pretty good. But he's missed 46% of his games over the past 3 years. I'd bring him along slowly to be sure he's in game shape for the playoffs - that might include sitting him in some back to backs. Darko and Sullinger are going to have to be used to keep KG from burning out too early.

When the time comes to deal or sign a FA you can bet your bottom dollar it's going to be a 5 or 4/5 they bring in.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 11-08-2012 at 09:25 AM.

vCash
    Anderson Varajao anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    Anderson Varajao anyone?
    Need to work with what they have first.

Maybe Wilcox is only cleared for 4 mins a game? I think if he can give 15-18 the Celtics could be ok.

Milicic only got a brief look so far. Granted that brief look went pretty much as expected.

Collins hasn't seen the light of day yet.

And mark my word, at some point this season before they decide to trade, Melo will be trotted out to see where he is in the process.

Varajao? He's the type of "live" body the Celtics need.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 11-08-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast