Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

How long will it take?

These first two games have been difficult to watch, but I believe the team will be alright in time. In fact, I think they will be very, very good in time. However, early on everyone can clearly see the defensive teamwork is not there - too many players seem to be thinking their way through rotations and coverages instead of reacting instinctively. The offensive flow is completely out of sync. No one seems comfortable on the court right now. All that will change, in time.

I believe it is a simple matter of Doc defining roles and players buying into the prescribed roles.

You might agree or disagree with this?

What I am really curious about is 1) how do you believe Doc will define roles and 2) how would YOU define roles on this team? How long, approximately how many games will it take to get things sorted out?

Is there a time frame / game limit before DA has to think about lowing it up?

As I mentioned a few days ago, I think moving Pierce to the 6th man role should be considered. I believe Green can handle the starting assignment. It would boost his confidence and allow him to settle into a comfort zone. I also have real concerns with Green being the first guy off the bench for KG. To me, it just doesn't work defensively. Milicic was pretty much the disaster I expected he would be tonight and this should have been a moment to shine vs Dalembert. Good to see Wilcox on the floor tonight and I think eventually he will have to be KG's sub.

Rondo / Barbosa
    Lee / Terry
    Green / Pierce
    Bass / Sullinger
    Garnett / Wilcox

I would also like to see Rondo and Barbosa togther at times. And when Bradley gets back... maybe all three of them together ar times.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Rondo is the only one looking good. Garnett defensively has mostly not been there. Pierce had an off night, and no putting him as the 6th man is idiotic. Terry finally did something in the 4th quarter. Green has looked good defensively, can't say much about anyone else on that side of the ball.

They need to figure out who does what, and they need to get open shots. They need to play D because they look lost out there.

Red Sox

Celtics
    TOP 3 PICK
    Patriots

vCash
    The first glaring problem I see is that I don't agree with Courtney Lee getting more minutes than Terry. If you look at any team who have great sixth men, that sixth man ALWAYS gets near starter minutes and more minutes than his starting counterpart. This team needed a serious offensive boost of it's bench last year, and we got one of the best 6th man scorers in the game and he's not getting the minutes he should.

Unless Lee is hot and knocking down 3's, he should be subbed for a lot quicker than Doc did the last 2 games. Terry is better than Lee, plain and simple. Terry scored 15 PPG in 31 MPG last year and Lee 11 PPG in 30 MPG. WE NEED THAT EXTRA 4 POINTS PER GAME!!! Not to mention Ray averaged 14 last season, for whom Lee is replacing.

Doc hasn't had a 6th man like this during his time with the C's and it's looking like he does not know how to use Terry correctly yet.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Terry is old. If he gets beat on now, he may not be effective in the playoffs. I don't think they should panic and start altering the course to win now at all costs. A calm and firm hand at the tiller is what they need, and sorting out some of the obvious defensive rotation issues - much worse when KG sits. They have guards getting lay ups on them for chrissakes.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    We lost Ray and KG and Pierce are getting older and their points are going to drop. We need offense. Terry is offense. He only got 9 minutes in a half we scored only 30, with Pierce sitting in foul trouble.

Terry scored 10 in 24 minutes tonight, and Lee only 7 in 32 minutes.

Going by last season's stats, Terry is the 3rd best scorer on our team (and only behind KG for 2nd by about 1/2 a point) so why did 6 other players get more minutes than Terry tonight?

Terry is not going to wear out. He's shown no signs of needing rest or less minutes last year. He's only missed about 30 games over 13 seasons. He's never missed more than 8 games in one year and has never been injury prone. If he's getting only 24 MPG now, what about when Bradley comes back?? This is not a good sign.
    Last edited by 69centers; 11-02-2012 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    The first glaring problem I see is that I don't agree with Courtney Lee getting more minutes than Terry. If you look at any team who have great sixth men, that sixth man ALWAYS gets near starter minutes and more minutes than his starting counterpart. This team needed a serious offensive boost of it's bench last year, and we got one of the best 6th man scorers in the game and he's not getting the minutes he should.

Unless Lee is hot and knocking down 3's, he should be subbed for a lot quicker than Doc did the last 2 games. Terry is better than Lee, plain and simple. Terry scored 15 PPG in 31 MPG last year and Lee 11 PPG in 30 MPG. WE NEED THAT EXTRA 4 POINTS PER GAME!!! Not to mention Ray averaged 14 last season, for whom Lee is replacing.

Doc hasn't had a 6th man like this during his time with the C's and it's looking like he does not know how to use Terry correctly yet.
    I think you hit on one of the critical issues - sorting out guard minutes. And it is only going to get worse once Bradley returns. Next to the back up to KG, I think this might be the most critical issue.

I think starting Lee is Doc trying to match up with other teams? Never been a fan of that approach. What I would like to see is Rondo and Barbosa on the floor at the same time. That kind of speed paired together could be quite effective. Barbosa is obviously not Bradley on defense, but he can be quite explosive on offense. I think, once Bradley returns, Lee could be the odd man out?
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    They definitely need to run the floor more. We got younger this year and it seems like we're running less than last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccspence8 View Post
    Rondo is the only one looking good. Garnett defensively has mostly not been there. Pierce had an off night, and no putting him as the 6th man is idiotic. Terry finally did something in the 4th quarter. Green has looked good defensively, can't say much about anyone else on that side of the ball.

They need to figure out who does what, and they need to get open shots. They need to play D because they look lost out there.
    Yeah, I remember people thinking making Havlicek as the sixth man was stupid too.

vCash
    They definitely need to run the floor more. We got younger this year and it seems like we're running less than last season.
    Pierce and Garnett together.... the dynamics have changed with this team. Their roles need to change to accomodate all the new players / talent. I think some have the idea that all the new guys should be molded around Pierce and Garnett and I just don't see that being logical thinking or overly intelligent either.

This is why I think Pierce as the 6th man, provided he would accept that role, could be a real catalyst for this team. It would give that second unit an experienced player in Doc's system and an .acknowledged leader on the court with them. Plus Pierce playing against other teams back ups? Yeah, I think so.

vCash
    Doc has to find a lineup when KG is resting .Bass and Sully doesn't work

Jeff Green has to rebound more ,i don't see our rebounding getting better without jeff contribution .

I think it will take 10-15 games ,let's hope we can get some wins before that .

vCash
    We truly only have 4 players that were their from last year considering the fact Bradley was injured, and Green/Wilcox had heart problems. Don't change anything let them form Doc has so much talent, and his such a genius that his trying out many rotations. The problem is this isn't a lot of our players natural positions which is why you see a lot thinking on the defensive end and not just off instincts, give it about a month or around 10-14 games we'll start seeing the teams that we've been waiting for.

vCash

Terry is NOT our 6th man tho. Green is. Plus Terry's shot has been off in the first 2 games(besides last night in garbage time but hopefully that gets him in a groove) when he's knocking down shots he'll be out there more.

We kinda blew up the team this offseason but kept our core. I think it will take a while for things to settle down and players to settle into roles.

We need to play another big when KG sits tho, Im not liking all this small ball. and the good play from Barbosa makes me wonder what the roation is goin to look like when Bradley comes back...Does everyone stay with the team? a 5 Guard rotation with Rondo Getting 40+mpg is going to be tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun5 View Post
    Doc has to find a lineup when KG is resting .Bass and Sully doesn't work

Jeff Green has to rebound more ,i don't see our rebounding getting better without jeff contribution .

I think it will take 10-15 games ,let's hope we can get some wins before that .
    Milicic and Wilcox are coming back from injuries. They need to get a lot of minutes.

And Doc needs to split Bass-Sully minutes 50-50, not 67-33.

vCash
    I thought the roles looked a bit more defined tonight and I liked Doc's rotations a bit better. Still not sold on playing Sullinger and Bass together - liked pairing Sullinger with Garnett and pairing Bass with Wilcox.

I think there is still a long way to go. Hope Doc sticks with this line up and rotation for a couple of weeks to let everyone settle in.

vCash
    surprised how much the starters are having to carry the load right now but these guys need a little time to gel...

a true evaluation cant be made til we are at 20 games.

im not worried about terry, his legs will come back as the season goes.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast