Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Mike Pelfrey

1 yr $4m with $1.5m in possible incentives

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...on-755877.html

Just coming off TJ surgery.
    Last edited by thechom80; 12-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Another 5.0 K/9 guy. Doesn't look like this club is trying to save room for an actual two or three starter.

The stupid $6.5 million for Baker no longer looks so stupid.

vCash
    I am guessing as we stand today.

Pelfrey, Worley, Diamnod, Correa, and Gibson.

Not likely going to get us to the word series but better than last year and sounds as if he wants to continue finding bargains. Oswalt is next

vCash
    I really don't have a problem with Pelfrey. Sure he's another 4/5 starter, but if he's healthy, he should be able to help for a while.

vCash
    We are just making these minor signings while we wait for guys like Gibson and Meyer to be ready.

vCash
    Pelfrey actually has great stuff. He was an elite prospect. The Mets rushed him through the system and had him in the big leagues six months after drafting him.

Pelf was a strikeout artist in college and in the minors at first. The Mets had a thin rotation of over the hill guys in 2006 and is a lousy organization that had a "win now" philosophy at the time because they were opening a new stadium. To succeed with no further development Rick Peterson, the pitching coach, forced Pelf to drop his secondary pitches, and changed his mechanics. His fastball lost 3 or 4 mph and Pelfrey was suddenly a contact pitcher. He was ruined by a bad organization.

His fastball still has great movement. Hitters pound it into the ground when he's on. He gets lots of DPs and gives up few HRs. As it stands now he could win 20 with a good fielding infield. Maybe your pitching coaches could work with him to regain what Peterson took away in 2006. Then he'd be even better.

Either way he could be a very pleasant surprise.

vCash
    Unfortunately, the Twins don't have a very good fielding infield. Nor a good fielding outfield for that matter. They do have a flyball friendly park however.

I don't mind the Pelfrey signing, he's a back end of the rotation guy but it's only a one year deal, if Ryan want's to overpay on a one year deal, what should I care? The only issue is the implication that by continuing to sign #5 starters, the Twins are purposefully leaving no roster room for a #2-3 starter.

I also think Hendriks will get the last rotation spot over Gibson. I'll bet Gibson starts in AAA no matter what, at the very least to limit his service time.

vCash
    The Twins supposedly have had some contact with Detroit about Rick Porcello...tho especially in division he wouldn't come cheap. We'll also be at Brandon Webb's throwing session next month...tho he hasn't pitched basically since 2008..but won 22 that year.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    If the Twins gave up anything of value, or anything at all, for Porcello I don't know that I would be able to contain my rage. Why is this team still so obsessed with guys who can't strike anyone out? After trading for Meyer and May I thought they had finally realized what the other 29 teams long ago did, the majority of consistant pitchers have a K/9 above 7.0. The recent signings, and rumors of guys like Porcello, tell me I was wrong and Ryan in fact has not learned that lesson.

No more, please, I just can't handle it. If someone like Trevor Plouffe gets replaced this year because his defense is a liability, it's on the front office, not on Plouffe. In fact, seeing as I'm not expecting anything out of this season, I hope the Twins lead the league in errors to help drive home the point that Ryan should never, ever, ever again try to acquire a guy who relies on his defense, luck and fate to get 80% of his outs. Unbelievable.

vCash
    I know what you mean Nick it makes me mad every time he signs these kind of pitchers, Sometimes i think we need a new gm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viksalltheway! View Post
    I know what you mean Nick it makes me mad every time he signs these kind of pitchers, Sometimes i think we need a new gm.
    What like Smith? I think that Ryan has a proven track record and is just working on bridging the gap and working the right way of quality pitchers coming down the pipeline. I too would like Greinke etc.. but just not happening so complaining isn't going to help.

We will continue to make low risk - high reward type moves as that is his style and has been successful doing. He knows what he is doing boys although it isn't always "fantasy" syle we would want the results will be there.

vCash
    I'm not calling for Ryan's head at this time, but I can't recall him ever making a low risk-high reward type move on a pitcher. Meyer and May certainly are high reward, but they too are high risk seeing as they have control and/or mechanic issues and cost the Twins both of their current centerfielders. All his other pitching moves are low reward types.

Ryan specifically stated that he is after quantity as far as starters go this year. Terrible decision, and surefire way to infuriate the fanbase. No team competes when you pick quantity over quality. I'd rather the Twins sign 1 number 2-3 starter then waste their money on 2 or 3 number 5-6 starters.

vCash
    I'm saying Ryan has been known to at least sign one bad player a year, I remember seeing it in an article a while back, Its just this year he's signed 2 possibly 3 with worley pitchers who probably wont go anywhere with us, He's getting there with me to the point where i just want to give another gm a look at(not smith).

vCash
    Ryan did pretty good with free agents last year. Willingham and Burton were steals, Doumit was a good value and Carroll was at worst a push. The big bust of course was Marquis (Zumaya also was a bust, but only due to injury, well worth the risk in my book).

I don't think anyone could call his free agency class of 2012 a bust, but it did highlight two issues. One is the fact that while the Twins did spend some free agency money last year, they still cut payroll significantly with the loss of guys like Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan. That trend looks to continue this year as the Twins may not even have an $80 million payroll when the season starts.

The second issue is also alarming. While Ryan did well to identify offensive players, he once again was terrible in choosing starting pitching. Marquis was awful, as was nearly every free agent starter he has ever signed. That trend continues today with the Correia signing. Keep in mind that Correia was the first starting pitcher Ryan EVER gave more than a one year deal to. EVER. (in 1998 Bob Tewksbury was given an option year) You obviously aren't going to get a good pitcher without giving up multiple years.

Terry Ryan has done a lot of good for this club, but he either doesn't have the accumen to identify capable starting pitchers, or he doesn't have the fortitude to give the dollars or more importantly, the years get them. If he continues to demonstrate that he cannot or will not fix the Twins most pressing issue, he cannot continue to perform as GM.

He did well to get some young ace caliber arms in Meyer and May, but what happens if they don't work out? Ryan MUST show the fans and the organization that he understands sub-standard pitching is not acceptable and use his free agent budget to acquire top of the rotation talent, even if it means his ulcers act up.

vCash
    Couldn't of said it better thanks nick

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast