Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Expectations of Brandon Roy

I like to start of by saying im sorry if this has a place it should be in if so just move it im a sixers fan and don't hang around in this forum like ever..Sorry for the intrusion but Im here because i follow Brandon Roys career with great interest hes my favorite player currently in the NBA.
    What i want to know is what is the general expectation of Roy in Minny numbers wise? How many games do you see him playing and in how many minutes. a caught the end of your game with the kings (my side team) and Roy didn't seem to have a good night. Did he seem to be struggling or was he just defended well?
    I find the Timberwolves fanbase to be pretty level headed by psd standards so im interested to hear your thoughts

vCash
    According to Adelman, he plans on playing Roy as the starter, 30-32 minutes per game.

As for tonight, Roy did much better than the box score indicated. He pitched in, in places other than scoring, which good players do. For his shooting, it looks awful in the box score, but watching the game, so many of his shots just missed by millimeters, they would hit the bottom of the rim and fly out.

I think the Sacramento announcer (maybe the only good thing he said the whole night) said it best, when he said "you can see Roy knows where he wants to go with the ball, he just can't get there as quick as he used to." Roy has the smarts and intangibles to still be a very good player, but he needs to continue to learn his athletic limits now.

As for his defense, I thought it was well below average on man-to-man scenarios, but his help defense at least got a passing grade from me.

vCash
    28 mpg
    17.5 PER
    12.5 ppg
    4 apg
    3 rpg
    barely above average defense

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    I like to start of by saying im sorry if this has a place it should be in if so just move it im a sixers fan and don't hang around in this forum like ever..Sorry for the intrusion but Im here because i follow Brandon Roys career with great interest hes my favorite player currently in the NBA.
    What i want to know is what is the general expectation of Roy in Minny numbers wise? How many games do you see him playing and in how many minutes. a caught the end of your game with the kings (my side team) and Roy didn't seem to have a good night. Did he seem to be struggling or was he just defended well?
    I find the Timberwolves fanbase to be pretty level headed by psd standards so im interested to hear your thoughts
    You were doing so well up to that point...
    Seriously though more important that the numbers (that should be around what Hawk said), I expect him to play a significant role in the last minutes. I think we saw a bit of that today.

United we Run

vCash
    also remember, he should get better as he gets more games under his belt. A year away from the sport means you need to get your timing, and natural basketball instincts back.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    My brother in law was at the game last night and said Roy was in pain all night long. I said in tv he looked fine, but told me he can't see him finishing the season. I'm not sure where i am with him, since pain can be managed in a lot of cases. I had plantar faciatis in college, and even though it wasn't going to get worse, it hurt so bad i couldn't think straight. I imagine that knees are probably worse than feet, and it will be interesting to see how he bounces back the next two games. Being a wolves fan, i can only expect the worst.

vCash
    ^I trust Adelman's judgement that he can play 30+ minutes per night consistently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigus Dogus View Post
    My brother in law was at the game last night and said Roy was in pain all night long. I said in tv he looked fine, but told me he can't see him finishing the season. I'm not sure where i am with him, since pain can be managed in a lot of cases. I had plantar faciatis in college, and even though it wasn't going to get worse, it hurt so bad i couldn't think straight. I imagine that knees are probably worse than feet, and it will be interesting to see how he bounces back the next two games. Being a wolves fan, i can only expect the worst.
    I don't exactly expect Roy to tell the truth in these matters (because he wants to play so badly), but he did say he was having some cramps in his knees. It's hard to say what will come of him since this procedure is so new and because of the supposedly "miraculous" effects of stem cells.

vCash
    I think we're reading too far into this.

We should revisit this after 10 games and see where he's at then.

vCash
    This is going to be one of the better/more interesting stories in the NBA and if this was a bigger market, it would be dissected hardcore (could be a reasoning for Roy being here actually).

My personal guess for Roys stat line runs similair to Hawks...somewhere in that 25 to 32 mpg, 11-14 ppg 3 rpg, 3-5 apg. I have my worries that no matter how much we try to protect him, at some point he is going to break down, and its going to be, quite frankly, sad to watch. The homer in me wants to see him succeed with this, to rise and overcome this would be from a sporting perspective, heroic. But its something I think we are all going to have to worry about (and he's lying if he says he isnt worried too) for the rest of the season. It simply isnt logical to expect 30 to 35 mpg from someone who 4 months ago we were expecting 15 mpg from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    According to Adelman, he plans on playing Roy as the starter, 30-32 minutes per game.

As for tonight, Roy did much better than the box score indicated. He pitched in, in places other than scoring, which good players do. For his shooting, it looks awful in the box score, but watching the game, so many of his shots just missed by millimeters, they would hit the bottom of the rim and fly out.

I think the Sacramento announcer (maybe the only good thing he said the whole night) said it best, when he said "you can see Roy knows where he wants to go with the ball, he just can't get there as quick as he used to." Roy has the smarts and intangibles to still be a very good player, but he needs to continue to learn his athletic limits now.

As for his defense, I thought it was well below average on man-to-man scenarios, but his help defense at least got a passing grade from me.
    Agree with every word there PurpleJesus!

vCash
    I did notice him walking like an old man on Friday night. That could be one of two things...he's not going to live up to Adelman's plans for him or he's shaking some rust off now that we ball out for reals now. I agree, lets revisit this in a couple weeks and go off a bigger sample. I trust Adelman and his staff. Rick doesn't ******** ya.

vCash
    Roy needs time. If Ray Allen can score 30 still, Roy can score 15. He needs to learn to come off screens more and stop driving to the basket - he clearly can't do that anymore(or at least not yet) - but he was a great shooter and his shots haven't been that far off. I think he needs time to get in a grove, but he should at the very least become a reliable spot-up shooter as the season progresses.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

vCash
    I watched Roy pack his knees with ice about every night at the Rose Garden and it will soon be the case in Minni. I would love to see him return to old form but it aint gonna happen and Im sure everyone in Minni knows that and just wants some decent production out of him, which will happen for awhile but expect missed games and him being a 1yr and done.
    Hope it doesnt happen like that but I know just how bad his knees but I plan to attend a few TWolves games this season since I live in North Dakota now. Look forward to seeing him play again for old time sake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blazerman View Post
    I watched Roy pack his knees with ice about every night at the Rose Garden and it will soon be the case in Minni. I would love to see him return to old form but it aint gonna happen and Im sure everyone in Minni knows that and just wants some decent production out of him, which will happen for awhile but expect missed games and him being a 1yr and done.
    Hope it doesnt happen like that but I know just how bad his knees but I plan to attend a few TWolves games this season since I live in North Dakota now. Look forward to seeing him play again for old time sake.
    None of us are expecting him to return to his old form...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast