Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Gortat: Nash got too much credit

Gortat feels overlooked

Last season, 51 percent of starting center Marcin Gortatís field goals were assisted by Nash. It is a sore spot for Gortat, who relished Nash publicly often but felt overlooked in the process.

ďIt is kind of (expletive) up,Ē Gortat said. ďIím not taking anything away from Steve Nash. Heís a great, great point guard. I mean probably the best point guard Iíve ever played the game with. But at the end of the day, there were a few other big men playing with him and they didnít succeed. Itís not like Steve Nash, whatever he touches is going to turn into gold. You need a second person who has got some kind of skills and some kind of feeling for the game to make that duo work perfectly.

ďI think we were working perfectly. We were No. 1 in the league by the passes and finishes. Iíd say there was a little bit of credit for me, too. I finished some hard shots, too, by the way. Some of the little credit should also go on my side

Gortat also has to prove he wonít shrink in a big moment. With postseason hopes on the line at Utah in April, Gortat had five consecutive shots in the lane blocked. It was a continuation of his poor shooting in the seasonís stretch run. He admitted that his Utah performance haunted him this summer.

ďBeing that guy who was leading the team most of the games on the boards and in points, then all of a sudden when the main game is coming in, youíre failing,Ē Gortat said. ďIt hurts. The only thing I can say is sorry to the fans and Iíll promise to do better.Ē

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...nclick_check=1
    I don't know if he's right or not but I LOVE the fact that Gortat just speaks his mind without worrying about what he's saying. Its been a while since the Suns have had a player like that

vCash
    I agree. He didn't rip Nash and spoke his mind which is the truth. Nash was a huge part of it but guys like Gortat need to finish also. Some guys were good when they got here.

My fav line was, "He’s a great, great point guard. I mean probably the best point guard I’ve ever played the game with."

Ummmm, who are you comparing him too? Nelson??!!!?

vCash
    Guess we'll see what he does this season without Nash.

Phoenix Suns
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Arizona Cardinals
    Arizona Diamondbacks

vCash
    I don't think Gortat is going to get as many looks this season. Not because of Nash's absence, but because of the Corner Offense.

vCash
    ^^^Yup. Although I do think he will get on the offensive glass more and make up for the lack of looks that way.

vCash
    Not just anyone can finish off a steve nash pass so he has a point. Gortat and Stat have both been very good at it. Lopez was less good at it.

vCash
    "It’s not like Steve Nash, whatever he touches is going to turn into gold."

This would have been true if not for Brian Skinner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692 View Post
    ^^^Yup. Although I do think he will get on the offensive glass more and make up for the lack of looks that way.
    Good point. If Gortat plays low with Scola/Morris/Beasley etc. playing high on the corner then Gortat will get a lot of boards and easy dishes playing the weak side. Less defensive focus on Gortat should help the entire team since we were getting very predictable last season and no doubt Gortat would have faced a lot more attention this season if we were running the same system.

I guess we won't see as much PnR anymore though.
    Last edited by Bishnoff; 10-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.

vCash
    Sorry Marcin, your average without Nash feeding you the ball.

vCash
    Seems like Gortat was right after all...

vCash
    ^^Yup 13ppg 12.5 rpg and 4bpg againstsome pretty good bigs in Bogut, Lee and Landry from the Warriors and Maxiell, Drummond and Monroe from the Pistons.

I'm going to be very optimistic with the next statment/question. Lets say that Gortat averages around those same #'s(possible) including the blk shots and our defense only allows about 88-90 ppg. If this is the case does he ibsert himself in DPOY convo? Not that he wins it but do people start giving him more credit or what do you guys think?

Finally I wanna thank Barnes for posterizing Gortat because after that he got back down to earth and started beasting. Maybe Beasley needs the same thing. Hopefully before the Heat game lol.

vCash
    Gortat won't win DPOY cause the Suns as a team are still struggling defending the paint. Teams are driving at will on us.

Usually the teams of the DPLOY winners have very good defense.

vCash
    ^^^right now we're in the top 10(maybe top 5) in both opp. fg % and opp. ppg. Not yo mention Gortat is #2 in blks and #6(I think) on rbs. This is assuming everything stays as is. And I clearly stated that I don't think he can win even with those #'s. I'm just saying can he make a case.