Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Garza sends shot outs to Marmol and Haren.
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2206 View Post
    Zych wouldnt be ready for next season would he? From what I read on him 2014 is more realistic. Maybe a late season call up next year
    From out from under the gun? No. But I'm fairly certain 2013 is the year that Zych will make his debut. He's always been a fast moving potential pick. He could certainly make a push for it by June-July though.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    I love the trade. My guess is we pick up a stopgap, like a Matt Capps, to close. Zych isn't ready yet, but could be by midseason. Vizcaino's getting a chance to start and will be on limited innings this year. My guess is he's at Iowa most of the season. Go get Hyun Ryu Jin, sign Marcum or someone like him, and use Wood as part of a trade that nets us something young. Wood/Vitters for Bass/Kelly in SD is something I'd like. At any rate, this is a great move and our top 3 could be really stout, if things break right.

vCash
    Doesn't Marmol have a NTC?

vCash
    This is pretty outstanding unless we're sending someone of consequence over to LA with Marmol.

At this point Haren's probably only a #3/4 starter, but he's got a real chance of doing for us what Javy Vazquez did for the Braves. As a 3/4 starter he's a little overpaid, but nothing drastic. And since he's costing just money(IMO Marmol was a negative value piece), and it's a one year deal, it's slam dunk.

Worst case scenario, we wasted ~10 million dollars(13.5 minus whatever negative value Marmol had) on a broken pitcher.

Likely case, we paid 13.5 million to a guy who ultimately gets flipped for ~10 million in prospects.

Good case, we paid 13.5 million to a guy who ultimately gets flipped for ~20 million in prospects.

Best case, we just found our ace, and we can either flip him for huge value or extend him and move up our timeline.

Seriously, as long as we're not sending over a top 10 prospect, this is a great get. And even then it might be workable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    So would you consider them more valuable than someone who comes in with runners on in a close ball game?
    I really think that depends on the situation and team. If you have 1 guy you go to with runners on through out the season and he gets you out of that jam I'd say that he's equally as valuable.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Marmol waived his NTC.
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Also, I think this means we have to get one of Marcum/McCarthy. It gives us a potentially elite rotation for pretty much just pennies. Yeah it's high risk, and the expected value is that at least one of our top 4 starters is hurt/sucks next year, but man you have to take that shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Also, I think this means we have to get one of Marcum/McCarthy. It gives us a potentially elite rotation for pretty much just pennies. Yeah it's high risk, and the expected value is that at least one of our top 4 starters is hurt/sucks next year, but man you have to take that shot.
    I would still love to see the FO try to swing this Josh Johnson deal.

vCash
    I will say I believe closers good for 25+ saves a season holds value, but still overpaid.

vCash
    Putnam given a closer shot?

vCash
    Haren from AL to NL is sexy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    So we lose games 2-0 instead of by a lot?

vCash
    Would this put us out of the running for Josh Johnson, or would they possibly pursue him, too?

vCash
    Underrated part of this trade. Haren is the best Fastball/Splitter starting pitcher since John Smoltz was relevant.

I literally cannot think of a pitcher I'd rather have Jeff Samardzija sitting next to every day.

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast