Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 616 to 624 of 624
  1. #616
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    vCash
    1500
    Is it taking liberty to assume the only reason the Cubs didn't get him is because LA not only wanted us to pay all of Marmol's contract but all of Haren's as well? Has anything concrete been reported on that? (I doubt it ever will). I just think you guys are taking the most extreme possibility as the example to be on the opposite side arguing against.


  2. #617
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    Is it taking liberty to assume the only reason the Cubs didn't get him is because LA not only wanted us to pay all of Marmol's contract but all of Haren's as well? Has anything concrete been reported on that? (I doubt it ever will). I just think you guys are taking the most extreme possibility as the example to be on the opposite side arguing against.
    JBears said they should have paid for both salaries...that's where this started. See post 593
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  3. #618
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,986
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    JBears said they should have paid for both salaries...that's where this started. See post 593
    I like JBears but that is the kind of thing that got us in this mess in the first place. I do not believe it was as simple as them wanting us to cover Marmols Salary it was more to it than that.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  4. #619
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    14,913
    vCash
    1500
    per la times
    Dan Haren took exception to a Chicago Sun-Times report that “medical issues” led to the Cubs pulling out of a trade that would have sent closer Carlos Marmol to the Angels for Haren last Friday.

    The Angels subsequently declined Haren’s $15.5-million option for 2013, buying it out for $3.5 million, and the veteran right-hander who went 12-13 with a 4.33 earned-run average last season is now a free agent.

    “It’s definitely a little frustrating to hear, being as I’ve started all but three games over a nine-year career,” Haren said in an email. “I haven’t heard why exactly they pulled out, but I finished the year healthy and did pretty well down the stretch.”

    Haren, 32, was slowed by lower-back tightness in the first half, compiling a 6-8 record with a 4.86 ERA in 17 starts before going on the disabled list for the first time in his career in early July. But he returned in late July and, despite his fastball dipping to the 89-mph range, Haren went 6-5 with a 3.58 ERA in his final 13 starts.

    It would be understanable for some teams to shy away from Haren because of his high mileage—he threw 216 innings or more for seven straight seasons from 2005-2011—and reduced velocity, but Haren insists he is not a health risk.

    “I’ve never missed any time because of injury other than the three weeks this year because of my back,” Haren said. “When I came back, I had to be cleared by doctors, so obviously, I was healthy.

    “As for any other ‘injury,’ I’ve had very minor issues over the years, but nothing significant at all. My arm is in great shape, and physically, I’m in a very good place right now. I’m very, very confident that I will return to form next year.”
    think ty said he was hearing medicals an bystro said finances i think? wish i was a fly on the wall during the convos between our FO and angels

  5. #620
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    1,891
    vCash
    1500
    Hmm. A pitcher heading into free agency is denying any health issues, strange

  6. #621
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    14,913
    vCash
    1500
    our times
    [QUOTE The Cubs' front office reached out to closer Carlos Marmol in the aftermath of Friday's non-trade to the Angels, and general manager Jed Hoyer said the team ``deserves some blame'' for the leak that led to reports about a trade that was never finalized.

    Neither Hoyer nor team president Theo Epstein would comment on details of the negotiations with the Angels for pitcher Dan Haren. But sources confirmed that medical issues led to the Cubs pulling out of the deal - long after Marmol had told multiple media outlets he had been traded.

    The Angels also required more than $3 million to offset Marmol's $9.8 million salary, but that wasn't a sticking point, said one source.

    Either way, Marmol spent much of Friday preparing for a trade from the only organization he's played for, and the Cubs ended up with a replay of July's embarrassing Ryan Dempster-to-Atlanta trade/no-trade situation.

    ``We've spoken with [Marmol],'' Hoyer said. ``A big part of what happened was we never had a deal [completed]. A done deal to me is every part of the deal is done, and you sent out a press release. Obviously, we never got to that point.

    ``What we had with Carlos is we got to the point where we were close enough and we needed to go to Carlos and ask if he'd waive his no-trade [rights] to go to the Angels. And once we involved the player, it leaked out, and then everyone ran with it like it was a done deal.

    ``It was unfortunate. It was a miscommunication. Carlos ran with it that he had been traded, even tough the deal wasn't complete. ... Some of that blame might be ours, that we could have made it more clear to him: `Hey, listen, hold tight, this is a theoretical, would-you-do-this,' as opposed to this is a done deal.][/QUOTE]


    well i guess dont let it happen again? lol

  7. #622
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFanBudMan74 View Post
    our times
    [QUOTE The Cubs' front office reached out to closer Carlos Marmol in the aftermath of Friday's non-trade to the Angels, and general manager Jed Hoyer said the team ``deserves some blame'' for the leak that led to reports about a trade that was never finalized.

    Neither Hoyer nor team president Theo Epstein would comment on details of the negotiations with the Angels for pitcher Dan Haren. But sources confirmed that medical issues led to the Cubs pulling out of the deal - long after Marmol had told multiple media outlets he had been traded.

    The Angels also required more than $3 million to offset Marmol's $9.8 million salary, but that wasn't a sticking point, said one source.

    Either way, Marmol spent much of Friday preparing for a trade from the only organization he's played for, and the Cubs ended up with a replay of July's embarrassing Ryan Dempster-to-Atlanta trade/no-trade situation.

    ``We've spoken with [Marmol],'' Hoyer said. ``A big part of what happened was we never had a deal [completed]. A done deal to me is every part of the deal is done, and you sent out a press release. Obviously, we never got to that point.

    ``What we had with Carlos is we got to the point where we were close enough and we needed to go to Carlos and ask if he'd waive his no-trade [rights] to go to the Angels. And once we involved the player, it leaked out, and then everyone ran with it like it was a done deal.

    ``It was unfortunate. It was a miscommunication. Carlos ran with it that he had been traded, even tough the deal wasn't complete. ... Some of that blame might be ours, that we could have made it more clear to him: `Hey, listen, hold tight, this is a theoretical, would-you-do-this,' as opposed to this is a done deal.]

    well i guess dont let it happen again? lol[/QUOTE]

    Should have checked Stewart's medicals and called off that deal.

  8. #623
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,979
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFanBudMan74 View Post
    our times
    [QUOTE The Cubs' front office reached out to closer Carlos Marmol in the aftermath of Friday's non-trade to the Angels, and general manager Jed Hoyer said the team ``deserves some blame'' for the leak that led to reports about a trade that was never finalized.

    Neither Hoyer nor team president Theo Epstein would comment on details of the negotiations with the Angels for pitcher Dan Haren. But sources confirmed that medical issues led to the Cubs pulling out of the deal - long after Marmol had told multiple media outlets he had been traded.

    The Angels also required more than $3 million to offset Marmol's $9.8 million salary, but that wasn't a sticking point, said one source.

    Either way, Marmol spent much of Friday preparing for a trade from the only organization he's played for, and the Cubs ended up with a replay of July's embarrassing Ryan Dempster-to-Atlanta trade/no-trade situation.

    ``We've spoken with [Marmol],'' Hoyer said. ``A big part of what happened was we never had a deal [completed]. A done deal to me is every part of the deal is done, and you sent out a press release. Obviously, we never got to that point.

    ``What we had with Carlos is we got to the point where we were close enough and we needed to go to Carlos and ask if he'd waive his no-trade [rights] to go to the Angels. And once we involved the player, it leaked out, and then everyone ran with it like it was a done deal.

    ``It was unfortunate. It was a miscommunication. Carlos ran with it that he had been traded, even tough the deal wasn't complete. ... Some of that blame might be ours, that we could have made it more clear to him: `Hey, listen, hold tight, this is a theoretical, would-you-do-this,' as opposed to this is a done deal.]

    well i guess dont let it happen again? lol[/QUOTE]

    Interesting. Marmol isn't a 5/10 guy and Cots doesn't list him as having a no trade clause. I'm sure the Cubs have the right info but the No Trade Clause was a new tidbit of info. I know Haren had the right to block a trade to 12 teams but never heard about the Marmol NTC.

  9. #624
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,986
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by chi416 View Post
    well i guess dont let it happen again? lol
    Interesting. Marmol isn't a 5/10 guy and Cots doesn't list him as having a no trade clause. I'm sure the Cubs have the right info but the No Trade Clause was a new tidbit of info. I know Haren had the right to block a trade to 12 teams but never heard about the Marmol NTC.[/QUOTE]

    Marmol has a limited no Trade clause where he can veto deals to five teams.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •