Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The "Toney Douglas is atrocious" Thread

So, I don't think I'm alone is saying that Toney Douglas needs to get fewer minutes, get replaced in the rotation or just get traded for ANYTHING at this point. I realize it might seem like an overreaction, but through three games, Douglas has made 1 of his 14 field goal attempts. That's a .071 FG%!!! He's made 0 of his 5 3-point attempts and only has two free throw attempts (although he made both). Here are his numbers though three games:

In 12.0 MPG, 1.3/1.7/1.0/1.3 with .071/.000/1.000 percentages, a -1.9 PER, .134 TS% and -0.163 WS/48.

And it's not as if he's having an impact defensively. In fact, I would argue that he's been the worst defensive player on the entire roster through three games.

I don't care if they give Cook more minutes, bring in Machado off the bench to give him those 12 minutes or trade for someone, but he has GOT to stop getting 12 minutes a game when he's clearly have a detrimental impact on both sides of the court.

vCash
    Seconded.

vCash
    In theory I agree, however I think this 9 man rotation should be left as it is for the first 10 games before we start making any changes, but I think Jones and Scott M would be the first guys to step in, with Douglas looking like he would be the first to go.

Are there any FA vet point guards left?

PS: have to feel for Smith, I think he just got flushed out of the rotation for a while by Cole A
    C: Asik PF: PatPat SF: Parsons SG: Harden PG: Lin

vCash
    Lol I was rooting for the guy after the terrible season he had for us last season but it's looking like more of the same. He used to be a solid three point shooter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegame187 View Post
    In theory I agree, however I think this 9 man rotation should be left as it is for the first 10 games before we start making any changes, but I think Jones and Scott M would be the first guys to step in, with Douglas looking like he would be the first to go.

Are there any FA vet point guards left?

PS: have to feel for Smith, I think he just got flushed out of the rotation for a while by Cole A
    I think that as badly as Douglas is playing and as badly as Houston is lacking guard options off the bench, waiting 10 games could be a really bad idea. I'm not saying that Douglas still shouldn't get time to prove himself, but if he keeps playing so bad in the first half, why put him out there in the second half? Why not throw those minutes to Machado or Cook off the bench? I don't think they could possibly be worse than Douglas has been.

vCash
    Bring back Earl Boykins!!!

vCash
    I agree except for your comment about him being the worst defensive player on the team. I was at the blazers game and Douglass played excellent defense on lillard. He certainly looked like a far better defender than Lin. But I also did not see the first two games but I'm pretty sure he had 4 steals in something like 15 minutes. But yes he is a horrible offensive player and deserves way less minutes

vCash
    It seems overreaction because it is, it's been 3 games out of 82. Give him sometime, I'm sure he'll find his game eventually, he's a pretty good shooter.

And he has been pretty good defensively this season in his limited minutes, like the guy above said, he has been better than Lin on the defensive end. But yes, offensively he's been just awful and I don't know what the options are. Machado clearly needs a lot of work, I don't if he's ready to to play good minutes in the NBA. Give Cook more time with Harden running the point could work, but I wouldn't take Douglas' minutes so soon in the season.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    I agree too he is hard to watch! Thats how bad he is lol Bring in Machado!

MARLINS
    ROCKETS
    DOLPHINS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    It seems overreaction because it is, it's been 3 games out of 82. Give him sometime, I'm sure he'll find his game eventually, he's a pretty good shooter.
    See, that's the problem, though. Because he was an AWFUL shooter last season, like completely not worthy of being a rotational player bad. He shot 32% from the floor, 23% from 3s and had a .393 TS% overall. Defensively, he can defense PGs well, but he can't defend the 2, which is a problem because that's the only offensive position he's capable of playing. Granted, I'm giving him unfair flack on his defense because of how he played in the first game. But I just don't think he's a very useful rotational player. And it would be one thing if he had played well in the preseason and the Rockets were sticking by him, but he didn't.

If he can improve his numbers, I'm all for him sticking around as a rotational combo guard. But if he keeps playing like this, there's no justification whatsoever to continue giving him minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
    I agree except for your comment about him being the worst defensive player on the team. I was at the blazers game and Douglass played excellent defense on lillard. He certainly looked like a far better defender than Lin. But I also did not see the first two games but I'm pretty sure he had 4 steals in something like 15 minutes. But yes he is a horrible offensive player and deserves way less minutes
    Douglas plays very aggressive defense almost to aggressive at times committing silly fouls but he's a decent defender I think he was defensive player of the year in college. I don't know what happened to his stroke though he was solid for us a couple of seasons back then he injured his knee or ankle and never was the same and eventually lost his starting job to Lin.

vCash
    I'd the minutes to Machado, hopefully he could have an impact like Ish Smith did a couple seasons ago.

vCash
    He's never been good... EVER. He was a throw in on a trade, I see no point in giving him minutes. He isn't part of our future plans by any means anyways...

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Lets just get Steve Francis or Bob Sura

vCash
    Douglas has no offensive game as far as shooting. He's in a new town, on a new team, new everything. He can guard the Guards that Lin can't guard. The smaller quicker guards, ex. Damion Lillard, Mike Conley, Tony Parker, Chris Paul, etc... He's quick enough to stay in front of Westbrook just not big enough, but Westbrook is a problem for the NBA not just us. This is where Royce White will come in once he starts getting PT. The 2nd unit should have Tony at the 1, and White at the PF spot but White would be the primary ball handler while Tony guards the smaller guards. White running the point would drive almost every 2nd unit insane. Tony will be fine once he settles down. Tomorrow nights game will be a great indicator of what this team can do with some time off and practice time. Go Rockets and F Comcast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast