Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 124
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Champaign IL
    Posts
    298
    vCash
    1500
    Get over Delgado people, seriously its been 4 months now! We need pitching and Demp was having a great year for us before he was traded. Will he be that great again next year? Probably not, but why we wouldn't want a player who WANTS to play for a Cubs team that is clearly not going to be good the next couple of years. We need pitching, he's a quality pitcher. Marcum, Liriano, Villinueva are bigger risks, if you think we just sign them and they have breakout a breakout season like Maholm and we get a huge return.

    Sign Demp without a NTC but with the promise of not trading him so you prevent other players from wanting a trade.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    3221
    Dump's best years are always his contract years, he was playing for his last contract and I would think he would want a hefty sum. He isnt worth it.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Champaign IL
    Posts
    298
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Dump's best years are always his contract years, he was playing for his last contract and I would think he would want a hefty sum. He isnt worth it.
    Well considering he's only had 2 legitimate contract years, 2008 & 2005. His years in 2009, 2010, were far better than his year in 2005 I'd say your pretty far off. A hefty sum, is that scientific? Most likely 2 years 19 mil+ mutal option for a 3rd year and Demp can be had considering what else is out there I would take that in a heartbeat.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    89
    vCash
    1500
    NO NO NO NO NO NO to Dempster.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mlciganek View Post
    Get over Delgado people, seriously its been 4 months now! We need pitching and Demp was having a great year for us before he was traded. Will he be that great again next year? Probably not, but why we wouldn't want a player who WANTS to play for a Cubs team that is clearly not going to be good the next couple of years. We need pitching, he's a quality pitcher. Marcum, Liriano, Villinueva are bigger risks, if you think we just sign them and they have breakout a breakout season like Maholm and we get a huge return.

    Sign Demp without a NTC but with the promise of not trading him so you prevent other players from wanting a trade.
    The reason you don't want him is because he will be 36 next season and his best years are behind him. He will be too expensive for a stop gap and too old for a long term commitment.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    The reason you don't want him is because he will be 36 next season and his best years are behind him. He will be too expensive for a stop gap and too old for a long term commitment.
    His best years may be behind him but if the front office thinks he fills a void they will make that determinition. He will not be to expensive if you have a dollar amount do share. He is not looking for a long term commitment if you have a number in mind do share.
    The reason some might want him is he is still a very good pitcher and will do what is asked of him for the most part unless that is being traded again which will maybe force the Front Office to look in other directions. However Dempster did enjoy his time in Texas and won't rule out being moved in the right scenario.
    Last edited by ABE32; 11-05-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  7. 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM
    Reason
    trolling and response to trolling

  8. 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM

    I Understand differences

    Reason
    trolling and response to trolling

  9. 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM
    Reason
    trolling and response to trolling

  10. 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
    Reason
    trolling and response to trolling

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,119
    vCash
    1500
    Ouch...too far. Should have gone with: He's a ginger, or he's Canadian.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    His best years may be behind him but if the front office thinks he fills a void they will make that determinition. He will not be to expensive if you have a dollar amount do share. He is not looking for a long term commitment if you have a number in mind do share.
    The reason some might want him is he is still a very good pitcher and will do what is asked of him for the most part unless that is being traded again which will maybe force the Front Office to look in other directions. However Dempster did enjoy his time in Texas and won't rule out being moved in the right scenario.
    Based on last off-season I would guess anything 3+ years and over 7+ million would knock him out of consideration. His age also does not fit into paying for future performance.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,119
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Based on last off-season I would guess anything 3+ years and over 7+ million would knock him out of consideration. His age also does not fit into paying for future performance.
    I don't think you really understand what they mean by paying for future performance
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  14. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    We do need pitching and I think he has a couple years left in him. So I would welcome him back. I think people really need to let the Atlanta deal go. Delgado isn't really worth lamenting this much over

  15. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Champaign IL
    Posts
    298
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    The reason you don't want him is because he will be 36 next season and his best years are behind him. He will be too expensive for a stop gap and too old for a long term commitment.

    I agree that his best years are behind, but he turned in a great 1st half last year, and being back in the NL will help. I'm not say 5 years 60 mil, but 2 years at between 7-9/per is not breaking the bank considering we have the money and we aren't spending it anywhere else. An old Dempster is damn near better than any minor league pitcher that we have close. Plus we aren't going to the playoffs with or without Dempster but at least with him you can count on a professional every 5 days.

  16. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I don't think you really understand what they mean by paying for future performance
    Maybe paying a salary based on past performance when age indicates his performance historically will decline. I'm not sure what makes you think the Cubs are in a market for 36 year old pitchers that most likely will get better offers elswhere.

  17. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,119
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Maybe paying a salary based on past performance when age indicates his performance historically will decline. I'm not sure what makes you think the Cubs are in a market for 36 year old pitchers that most likely will get better offers elswhere.
    That's why everything I have said has included that you need to know the amount of money and length of a contract before deciding whether or not you'd be paying too much for future performance. The cubs have been in the market on a lot of players who got better offers elsewhere.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  18. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    That's why everything I have said has included that you need to know the amount of money and length of a contract before deciding whether or not you'd be paying too much for future performance. The cubs have been in the market on a lot of players who got better offers elsewhere.
    You hit the nail on the head when you say the Cubs have been in the market for players that got better offers elsewhere. My contention is that the Cubs want Dempster on their terms and he will get a better offer elsewhere.

  19. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,119
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    You hit the nail on the head when you say the Cubs have been in the market for players that got better offers elsewhere. My contention is that the Cubs want Dempster on their terms and he will get a better offer elsewhere.
    That is different than saying they aren't interested.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •