Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mark Mcgwire

vCash

It is finally OFFICIAL!

http://m.mlb.com/lad/news/article/2012110740192694/

Big Mac gives LA marquee name as hitting coach By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:11 AM PT

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- Having loaded the lineup with high-profile names, the Dodgers have hired one to coach them.

Mark McGwire was officially named to replace Dave Hansen on Wednesday, the seventh hitting coach in the seven years of general manager Ned Colletti's tenure. The announcement was made while Colletti was attending the General Managers Meetings.

McGwire, a former USC star who lives in Orange County, rejected a contract extension and left a similar position with the St. Louis Cardinals to be closer to home.

The Dodgers are hoping that a hitter of McGwire's stature will connect with a lineup of accomplished hitters that didn't deliver in 2012. Hansen took the fall for a disappointing offense that never overcame the hamstring and shoulder injuries that hobbled the lineup's focal point --Matt Kemp. Hansen has since been hired as Seattle's hitting coach.

Even with the second-half additions of All-Stars Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez and Shane Victorino, the Los Angeles offense repeatedly failed to mount a consistent attack. The Dodgers finished 13th in the National League in runs scored and RBIs and 15th in home runs.

McGwire, a 12-time All-Star who has admitted he took performance-enhancing drugs during his career, was hired by former Cardinals manager Tony La Russa three years ago, and the St. Louis offense has been productive ever since.

McGwire, who broke Roger Maris' record of 61 home runs when he hit 70 in 1998, retired as a player after the 2001 season with 583 career home runs. He currently ranks 10th all-time in the category.

McGwire was a first-round pick of Oakland in 1984 and was the American League Rookie of the Year in '87. His ninth-inning home run beat the Dodgers in Game 3 of the '88 World Series, and he was on the A's '89 World Series championship team.

In 1997, McGwire established the Mark McGwire Foundation for Children to assist agencies that work with child-abuse victims.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    I like this move. Watch out for the Dodgers offense next season

vCash
    I wish they hired him when they had Manny. He would of taught him how to cycle down without getting caught!

vCash
    Has anyone heard why he is no longer with the Cards?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmu15 View Post
    Has anyone heard why he is no longer with the Cards?
    just wants to be closer to his family.

they live in orange county

His decision to pursue a coaching position with the Dodgers was prompted by a desire to be closer to his family, which resides in Southern California.
    i know some people think he was fired or they had issues or something but thats not the case. he just decided he doesnt want to be far from them and didnt re-up his contract.

i like the move. cards offense went up since he became their hitting coach AND kept their offense up even after pujols left
    Last edited by bluedawgalex; 11-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.

PWEEEG The Gawwd

vCash
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Yeah, the change after he came in was quite obvious, i hope the same happens for us.

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    Does anyone else think that McGwire could command more respect in the clubhouse than Mattingly?

vCash
    Good move. Nobody respects Dave Hansen as a hitting coach or former player. Do you really think Kemp or AGon were going to let anything he told them sink in? Kemp has already accomplished more in his career than Hansen would have done in three of his.

vCash
    ^ That's exactly what I thought when Scioscia hired his buddy Mickey Hatcher to be the hitting coach. Really, Mickey Hatcher.

vCash
    I was a big fan of McGwire when he was on the A's, but knew something was up when he was on the Cardinals and that whole made-for-TV, post-strike HR love fest with Sosa. I absolutely think he should not be in the HoF, but I think he deserves a coaching job in baseball...because the man knows how to hit. Glad he is with the Dodgers for next season.

vCash

Mark Mcgwire

It would have been funny if they would have made the strength and conditioning coach instead.

A Real American HERO !!!

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Dodgers rule.

vCash

The first look of Big Mac in Dodger Blue

Here's Mark Mcguire in his first picture in blue.

Anyone else think get looks stoned?
    http://instagram.com/p/R87zWarEMU/
    Last edited by The 6-4-3; 11-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.

vCash
    He looks mad baked lullz
    Foam Party!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345