Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    My guess would be he'll get 5 yrs. at about 75-85 MIL. You think the Braves will pay that and still be able to afford a center fielder and a starter?
    Ok,why do you think the braves need a starter?

vCash
    Tommy Hasnon and Brandon Beachy are question marks due to injuries, Jurjjens won't be back I'm guessing, and Teheran still hasn't pitched effectively in the majors (though he hasn't had many opportunities). That leaves you with Hudson (who can't log as many innings as he used to), Delgado, Malholm, and Mike Minor. I would assume that Beachy is most likely to take that final rotation spot next year, giving you a rotation of Hudson, Beachy, Maholm, Delgado, and Minor. That rotation is not going to be good enough to beat the Nationals and it won't get you very far in the playoffs. The Braves don't need pitching, but it should be a concern heading into the off-season.

vCash
    My guess would be he'll get 5 yrs. at about 75-85 MIL. You think the Braves will pay that and still be able to afford a center fielder and a starter?
    Why would they sign a starter? Huddy, Medlen, Hanson, Minor, Maholm, Teheran, Delgado and Beachy when he comes back...that's seven for a five man rotation.
    ]

vCash
    Tommy Hasnon and Brandon Beachy are question marks due to injuries, Jurjjens won't be back I'm guessing, and Teheran still hasn't pitched effectively in the majors (though he hasn't had many opportunities). That leaves you with Hudson (who can't log as many innings as he used to), Delgado, Malholm, and Mike Minor. I would assume that Beachy is most likely to take that final rotation spot next year, giving you a rotation of Hudson, Beachy, Maholm, Delgado, and Minor. That rotation is not going to be good enough to beat the Nationals and it won't get you very far in the playoffs. The Braves don't need pitching, but it should be a concern heading into the off-season.
    Braves Intrigued By Josh Hamilton
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 2 at 4:21pm CST]

The Braves are intrigued by free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports. Heís the top position player available in free agency at a time that the Braves are looking to replace the offense of Chipper Jones and, it appears, Michael Bourn.

However, Hamilton isnít an ideal fit for a Bravesí lineup that already features a number of left-handed hitters in Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman and Brian McCann. Plus, the Braves arenít generally bidders on the top free agents, as Knobler notes. The Rangers made Hamilton a qualifying offer today, which means any team other than Texas will have to surrender a top draft pick to sign the outfielder. Hamilton ranks second on MLBTRís list of top 50 free agents.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#5WkB0SSSlQ1IC4ke.99

And who tell you that we need a staring pitcher

vCash
    Lol we don't need any pitching there bright eyes. Yes we could pay that and still get a serviceable CF.

vCash
    Yeah and how about that garbage medlen fellow you left out? O wait what? The best starting pitcher the second half of baseball??? Well I'll be damned looky there we gots uhh 1. Medlen, 2. Huddy(innings are not an issue), 3. Big Paul, 4. & 5. We have a choice of minor, Hanson( who will be fine next year), Delgado, JT, gilmartin who is no more than a season away, graham who will make a very strong push to force someone out of ATL soon! And beachy who will be make at some point next season. Looks to me like we have TOO much SP. My hopes are we trade Hanson with specs and get a Solid OF. Start medlen, huddy, PM, Minor, Delgado. Then beachy will take Delgado or minors spot later on. The next season PM walks and hopefully huddy hangs it up. We bring up JT and Delgado full time. Season after if all are still there trade one or two for stud bat and bring up JR and gilmartin of they haven't already forced there hands into that starting rotation lol

O and minor or Hanson as our #5 is pretty ****ing good if ya ask any baseball fan that knows their stuff.

vCash
    Do you know who Kris Medlen is?...

Tommy Hanson had a healthy year just underperformed, a rotation with: Hudson-Medlen-Maholm-Minor-Hanson is a very solid rotation, with beachy coming at mid season and Delgado and Teheran waiting in the wings, if there is something the braves don't need is a starter.
    Last edited by beldugo; 11-03-2012 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzbros23 View Post
    Not in the season as a big spender. The Braves never spend money. So they are a dark horse as in spending money.
    They're really not a dark horse at all. On one hand, anyone that follows the Hot Stove knows that the Braves have a lot of money coming off the books, meaning it shouldn't really be a surprise that the Braves will spend this winter. On the other hand, the team really doesn't have THAT much to spend relative to its needs; in comparison to other "big spenders," the Braves are still going to be looking for bargains and value rather than just throwing cash around. Either way you look at it, though, they're really not a dark horse.

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    yeah, one's average in a hitter's park and one just kills it when he's not trying to quit too much stuff at once.
    Nick Swisher is not "average." You don't have to like him or want the Braves to sign him, but nothing about him is average.

That projection is on the higher end of what most experts are saying Swisher will get, but even if you're right, the Braves can still very much afford a contract of that size.

Tommy Hasnon and Brandon Beachy are question marks due to injuries, Jurjjens won't be back I'm guessing, and Teheran still hasn't pitched effectively in the majors (though he hasn't had many opportunities). That leaves you with Hudson (who can't log as many innings as he used to), Delgado, Malholm, and Mike Minor.
    Three words: Kris Effing Medlen.

vCash
    Yeah... not gonna get much support in an evaluation of a rotation when you leave out their ace.

I'm actually excited to see what Minor will do next season and have to give the Braves some credit for sticking with him. His ERA was hovering at 7.00 after his first 10 starts... but after a better June and a July/August/September with ERA's of 1.98., 3.57 and 0.87 he could be in line for a great 2013 and make himself a legitimate #3 starter with hope for being #2 caliber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post

Three words: Kris Effing Medlen.

vCash
    point of this thread? to talk about the payroll? we have a thread for that...
    Cpl Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports has predicted that Josh Hamilton will be signed by Atlanta. Not that I necessarily agree with him, but Rosenthal is one of the more legitimate baseball writers who has shown ATL a lot of love in the past. If nothing else, it's good bulletin board material.

vCash
    Ken said that he was just guessing, has no info on where he will land.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Do you know who Kris Medlen is?...

Tommy Hanson had a healthy year just underperformed, a rotation with: Hudson-Medlen-Maholm-Minor-Hanson is a very solid rotation, with beachy coming at mid season and Delgado and Teheran waiting in the wings, if there is something the braves don't need is a starter.
    Tommy Hanson and "healthy year" shouldn't be in the same sentence. He was on the DL for a lower back strain mid-year, while he had to reconfigure his delivery after a late 2011 shoulder strain. Yes, he made 31 starts, but he had the worst stats of his young career and his velocity is way down from 2 years ago - not good for a strikeout pitcher. Hanson can't hit (1-for-49, 30 strikeouts), usually leads the league in giving up stolen bases because of his slow delivery, was 2nd in the NL in '12 errors committed by a pitcher, and was 4th in the NL in HR allowed. Factor all that in with the fact that he had the worst control of his career (9.3% walk rate) and you see how lucky Hanson was to escape with the most wins (13) of his career.

I don't mind chalking 2012 up to Hanson's maturation, much like we looked at 2011 for Jason Heyward after he adjusted his swing. Hanson has a lot of upside and ATL loves power arms - as does everyone else. With that in mind, he's still controllable and because he's arbitration-eligibile, his play will determine his price, at least in theory. That could be very attractive for all teams, which means Wren should listen seriously on him to possibly add a bat or a future catcher, or add minor league OF/3B depth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon93405 View Post
    I'm actually excited to see what Minor will do next season and have to give the Braves some credit for sticking with him. His ERA was hovering at 7.00 after his first 10 starts... but after a better June and a July/August/September with ERA's of 1.98., 3.57 and 0.87 he could be in line for a great 2013 and make himself a legitimate #3 starter with hope for being #2 caliber.
    I'm sort of hoping to see what Minor will do next season in another uniform. It's not because I don't think he's valuable; I definitely see him as a solid, affordable #3/#4 starter from the left side for years to come. But I also think he's overvalued after his unsustainable second-half performance, and the Braves need a young controllable trade chip to acquire a young controllable hitter. Minor just gives up too many flyballs, and that's going to lead to more home runs and ERAs closer to 4.00 than 3.00, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    point of this thread? to talk about the payroll? we have a thread for that...
    This appears to mostly be the thread for new posters and fans of other teams who can't be bothered with all of our "official" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by dermycar View Post
    Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports has predicted that Josh Hamilton will be signed by Atlanta. Not that I necessarily agree with him, but Rosenthal is one of the more legitimate baseball writers who has shown ATL a lot of love in the past. If nothing else, it's good bulletin board material.
    It was Jon Paul Morosi, Rosenthal's colleague, who predicted this, and he admitted on Twitter that he was just guessing. Hamilton's destination really is anyone's guess at this point, since he's such an enigma, and it's easy to see how he'd fit with the Braves. But it's also easy to see how he wouldn't fit, and the local beat guys have done nothing but shoot down any kind of Hamilton rumors for the last few months.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast