Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Wolves, Whitest Team since the 80's Celtics.

"Dante Cunningham noticed when he reported for work in Minnesota this fall that his new Timberwolves team is unlike any for which he has ever played.

"Day One, we were all in the elevator and I kind of looked up," he said about a crowded ride with many of his new teammates, "and I was just like, 'Where is everybody?' "

Everybody, in this case, being black teammates. Come opening night on Friday, Cunningham will be one of five black players on a 15-man Wolves team that has reversed the National Basketball Association's historical racial percentages with a roster that is the league's whitest since the Boston Celtics teams of the 1980s.

Raised in Washington, D.C., and educated at Villanova, Cunningham played his first four professional seasons for three different teams in a league where American-born black players constituted 78 percent of roster spots last season and have been at least 75 percent since 1991-92.

Twin Cities black leaders have noticed, suggesting the franchise strategically has rolled back the calendar by decades in a league that long has been at the forefront of diversity among America's professional sports leagues.

"How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?" asked Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul's African American leadership council. "I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance.""

tell me what you guys think of this? some of my family grew up knowing the guy who wrote this article and has also made a few other comments about the white wolves, my mom says he always seemed racist towards white people..

personally, i think its stupid- race shouldnt matter, it should be how good of a basketball player you are.

we finally put together a good team, and people are trying to discredit us by being a "white team" this is pitiful.

sure, jokes are fine every now and then- but some of these people are really being serious and trying to make an issue out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RyBayBay View Post
    "Dante Cunningham noticed when he reported for work in Minnesota this fall that his new Timberwolves team is unlike any for which he has ever played.

"Day One, we were all in the elevator and I kind of looked up," he said about a crowded ride with many of his new teammates, "and I was just like, 'Where is everybody?' "

Everybody, in this case, being black teammates. Come opening night on Friday, Cunningham will be one of five black players on a 15-man Wolves team that has reversed the National Basketball Association's historical racial percentages with a roster that is the league's whitest since the Boston Celtics teams of the 1980s.

Raised in Washington, D.C., and educated at Villanova, Cunningham played his first four professional seasons for three different teams in a league where American-born black players constituted 78 percent of roster spots last season and have been at least 75 percent since 1991-92.

Twin Cities black leaders have noticed, suggesting the franchise strategically has rolled back the calendar by decades in a league that long has been at the forefront of diversity among America's professional sports leagues.

"How did we get a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?" asked Tyrone Terrell, chairman of St. Paul's African American leadership council. "I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance.""
    tell me what you guys think of this? some of my family grew up knowing the guy who wrote this article and has also made a few other comments about the white wolves, my mom says he always seemed racist towards white people..
    personally, i think its stupid- race shouldnt matter, it should be how good of a basketball player you are.
    we finally put together a good team, and people are trying to discredit us by being a "white team" this is pitiful.
    sure, jokes are fine every now and then- but some of these people are really being serious and trying to make an issue out of it.
    Why is it an issue? So we happen to have quality players with less pigment in their skin..... who cares. Two years ago i wasn't like, o man, we have too many black people on our team, the sky is falling!
    This issue, or the part of the issue with derogatory nature, will go away if we start winning.
    And i agree with you RyBayBay on what you said as well.

vCash
    Although, what if Kahn, or somebody in power within the timberwolves organization is a racist. Interesting thought.

I kinda like conspiracy nuts; they are funny and i like to think what if?

vCash
    These Civil Rights leaders are dumb to think this, and Zgoda is dumb to report it. We got the players on our team, because they improve the team, not because they were white or black...we also got rid of some players because the held us back, including black players Wes Johnson, and Michael Beasley, as well as white player Darko Milicic...we went after a number of black players in the offseason, including Roy, Cunningham, Jordan Hill, Will Conroy, and Nicolas Batum.
    If these Civil Right leaders werent looking for the littlest thing to ***** about, they would realize that we have one of the most ethnically diverse teams in the league...the Wolves FO should have no reason to apologize to them just because they arent the race of these Civil Rights leaders preference...the only racist people when it comes to this article, are the people *****ing that the team is too white.

vCash
    So is it racist for the other teams to be mostly black? I don't get it. Stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Googilyotta21 View Post
    So is it racist for the other teams to be mostly black? I don't get it. Stupid.
    I guess their argument would be that the NBA consists primarily of black players, and somehow, our team consists of primarily white players.

Still, it makes no sense though, and they fail to acknowledge that we made the moves to improve the team...literally, every move, was a move made for necessity...not because they wanted white players.

vCash
    I'm black (well mixed half white) but stupid stuff like this is so irritating. Since minny isn't a attractive spot for free agents and players have so much control in todays nba on where and how they get traded, we're stuck pretty much trying to draft players. Since 08 I think we got like 10 picks in the draft and here they are. Black players bolded

love
    pek
    chalmers(black player traded)
    rubio
    flynn
    johnson
    luke babbit(white player traded)
    hayward
    d-williams
    Motiejunas(white player traded)

We traded away more white players then black and all the black players we kept were horrible disapointments up till now. I truley wanted and believed flynn, williams and johnson could be good but it's on them that they're not. Has nothing to do with management.

vCash
    If we make the playoff, the guy who wrote the article should lose his job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeVo7 View Post
    If we make the playoff, the guy who wrote the article should lose his job.
    To be fair to Zgoda, he just reported what was said to him...but he should not have been looking for a story there, nor should he have reported it.

vCash
    We will show the world white guys can ball.

vCash
    I think it's more of a joke than being serious. IF you look around the NBA there are not a lot of mostly white teams in the NBA not that it means anything.

vCash
    Winning cures all. Looking at this franchise' last 5 years (W/L) if we have a .500 season or better, which is expected, how can anyone say the FO is racist? I hate to say it but if you've tried something and it didn't work, try something new. This "new" strategy just so happens to be white guys. We look for productive players. When the roster is only 15 deep, you can't really say the FO is racist. If this were football where 80 players are on the team and your white to black ratio is still out of line now you might have something. When you have a sample size of 15 you can't draw any conclusions.

I'll be taking exit polls for Obama v Romney and show that 3X as many people vote for Romney. Oh, and the sample size is 18.
    Last edited by WSU Tony; 10-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by viksalltheway! View Post
    guys like me would be more like an assistant to the GM
    The Minnesota Twins rank in the top 7 when it comes to assessing the strength of team....announcers. http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/your...medium=twitter

vCash
    If we had 11 american born white guys or something like that I still wouldn't say they are racist but it would be more alarming. The fact we have all these international guys just totally disproves any racism accusations.

vCash
    Civil Rights leaders have become like the Unions to me. They started out with a positive goal, and were needed, and are now useless and do nothing but cause problems.

In the 50', or hell, even 80's, and all white team mean all white americans. We don't resemble that in the slightest. Obviously Kahn and Adelman love international players, for different reasons, and we have a ton of them.

Would they rather we stay blacker and keep Beasley, Johnson, and Webster? I sure as hell will take Roy (black), and the two Russians over them.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    These Civil Rights leaders are dumb to think this, and Zgoda is dumb to report it. We got the players on our team, because they improve the team, not because they were white or black...we also got rid of some players because the held us back, including black players Wes Johnson, and Michael Beasley, as well as white player Darko Milicic...we went after a number of black players in the offseason, including Roy, Cunningham, Jordan Hill, Will Conroy, and Nicolas Batum.
    If these Civil Right leaders werent looking for the littlest thing to ***** about, they would realize that we have one of the most ethnically diverse teams in the league...the Wolves FO should have no reason to apologize to them just because they arent the race of these Civil Rights leaders preference...the only racist people when it comes to this article, are the people *****ing that the team is too white.
    The article got a thread started so Zgoda was probably pretty smart to write and article; and, too be fair, I think he wrote it in a balanced manner that names names.

It is really annoying to me when things like this are made into racial issues. Instead of heading towards a transcendent society of "colorlessness," people turn it into a game of numbers. I know some of these are already covered, but let me throw them out in bullet-point:

-As the article states, we went after black players first so we would have been more 50-50 (if you group in internationals) should those deals have worked out

-We can only sign the players who are willing to come here for the money paid. How often have we heard from players "Minnesota is too cold?" There might be some racial-correlated connection here, but it's not one the Wolves selected as such.

-These leaders obviously don't pay attention to games and statistics otherwise they would know Buddinger is a major upgrade, Stiemsma is a quality defender on the cheap, and Amundson was a very cheap veteran. I wonder what the pay breakdown is black to white?

-Isn't it a bit racist to group white American born players and international players together and essentially say, "They're all the same." That is an embodiment of greater diversity having guys from 3 other nations (and one territory) than simply having different colored Americans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast