Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Edmonton could make a run at Luongo?

Lowe ready to move in order to grab one or two pieces Oilers need to contend

Oilers hockey operations boss Kevin Lowe was on Oilers Now with Oilers radio colour man Bob Stauffer on Thursday. A number of topics were covered including the “Wow” trade that Stauffer has been hinting about on his show, a deal that would presumably see the Oilers bring in what sounds like a veteran star in return for prospects and picks.

On the show, Stauffer, an Oilers employee and insider, suggested that no one for a second would contemplate trading any of the Big Four up front (Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov), but with so many young assets, perhaps there was a way to expedite the process (by way of a trade) of turning around the Oilers.

“You’re going into a game with lots of trump cards,” Lowe said. “That’s the only way you can make deals is if you have assets that are attractive to other teams. When you have assets then you can make deals.

“So, absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some touch choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team. I mean, we need to get to the playoffs first (laughed) so you can’t put the cart ahead of the horse, but no question. I don’t talk to managers on a regular basis any more, that’s Steve Tambellini’s job, but I do know from my past experiences that we won’t have a tough job selling anybody on anybody that we have in the event we’re interested in a player on another team.”

The new CBA could make it easier to make trades, Lowe added.
    Defence and goal are question marks

Stauffer asked what the biggest question mark about the team going into the season.

“There’s a number of them. Are we strong enough defence? Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”

Dubnyk is trending upward, Lowe said, “but he’s got to go out and prove it now if he’s going to take over the Number One job.”
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-some-players/
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Dubnyk is a natural backup for Luongo. Just sayin.

And I would love to see how the Oilers do if they got an elite goalie like Luu. They would be a very exciting team to watch. If I were Luu I'd jump at the chance to play behind a high-powered offence like Edmonton's is going to be for years to come. Mind you they will need to vastly improve their D or he will be facing 55 shots a game again like he did in FLA originally.

And Mrs. Luongo might notice that Edmonton winters aren't as welcoming as Florida's or even Vancouver's.
    Last edited by ink; 11-02-2012 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    I wonder what type of package we could get? Sam Gagner as a centerpiece seems realistic to me, though I still find it pointless to be acquiring stud centers to play 3rd line.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    I wonder what type of package we could get? Sam Gagner as a centerpiece seems realistic to me, though I still find it pointless to be acquiring stud centers to play 3rd line.
    Sam Gagner might be an okay target. I'm not a huge fan of this guy but he has upside at 22 years old. Getting a secondary piece to me would be key here. While I guess I like Gagner more than what Toronto can offer (Frattin or Kadri base) I would still try for more.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Well, not like we can get Eberle or Hall off them... Gagner seems like a realistic centerpiece to me. Possibly Paajarvi or maybe even Hemsky could be a centerpiece as well. I dunno. Gagner seems like the realistic one. I for one still have the most interest in some of the Florida prospects, unless we of course found some insane way to steal Hall or RNH or Eberle, which wont happen.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I would do Luongo for Gagner and MPS. Not gonna happen but I can dream.

vCash
    It's certainly not out of the question, but I think we could only get one, rather than both.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    I would do Luongo for Gagner and MPS. Not gonna happen but I can dream.
    It's certainly not out of the question, but I think we could only get one, rather than both.
    I could see you guys definitely getting one of them as part of a package, but probably not both unless you're giving up more than Luongo. Luongo sure would help that young team out. They'd be a defenseman or two away from being very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    I could see you guys definitely getting one of them as part of a package, but probably not both unless you're giving up more than Luongo. Luongo sure would help that young team out. They'd be a defenseman or two away from being very good.
    Well MPS has really devalued over the last year and a half. While I still like the potential he's played his way to maybe being a third liner and jump to the second wing if he improves. I wouldn't say that Gagner and MPS for Luongo is out of question. Definitely better than what Toronto can offer.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Well MPS has really devalued over the last year and a half. While I still like the potential he's played his way to maybe being a third liner and jump to the second wing if he improves. I wouldn't say that Gagner and MPS for Luongo is out of question. Definitely better than what Toronto can offer.
    Certainly. I just don't think it's Gagner and MPS for just Luongo. If anything, it'd probably be Gagner, MPS, and another prospect or pick (not the 1st round pick) for Luongo and maybe one of their defenseman. TBH, I don't think Vancouver and Edmonton match up well as trade partners unless Vancouver's willing to move Edler. If that were the case, you'd easily get both Gagner and MPS as well as prospects and picks. There's very little chance they'd move their 1st round pick for obvious reasons even though they'd be a lot better with Luongo and Edler.
    Last edited by CubbieKid17; 11-10-2012 at 07:15 AM.

vCash
    Luongo and Edler? That's extremely steep. Edler is our #1 dman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Luongo and Edler? That's extremely steep. Edler is our #1 dman.
    I've heard whispers of him potentially being traded. That's why I brought it up. Personally, I don't get it. I agree that he's your #1 dman.

vCash
    I wouldn't trade Edler for Taylor Hall, and I am certainly not trading him for MPS and Gagner, with Luongo going that way too...
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I wouldn't trade Edler for Taylor Hall, and I am certainly not trading him for MPS and Gagner, with Luongo going that way too...
    Didn't say you would. I'm just throwing an idea out there because I heard whispers somewhere of Edler possibly being traded and Edmonton needs D so that's why I put the idea out there. I highly doubt Edmonton gets Luongo. It's just not a good fit trade-wise. I think it's most likely Toronto for him.

Edit: Also, until Edler is re-signed, his trade value isn't as high as it should be. No one's going to give you a top line W or a top-pairing D that's signed for more than one year for Edler, who's signed only through this year.

It obviously wouldn't be Edler and Luongo for MPS and Gagner, or even for MPS, Gagner, prospects, and/or picks like I suggested before (I posted late and was probably pretty tired haha). It'd be a bigger deal than that. I'll drop it unless I hear something more concrete on a potential Alex Edler trade. Like I said before, I don't see why you guys would trade him either.
    Last edited by CubbieKid17; 11-11-2012 at 04:09 AM.