Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bears FS Chris Conte Fined 21k for hit on Lafell

Bears FS Chris Conte was fined $21,000 for what was called contact to the head of a defenseless receiver (Brandon LaFell) against Carolina.
    Conte already in the process of appealing the fine.
    Vince McClure

In regard to Chis Conte fine of $21K for hit vs Carolina, his weekly game check is $27,353. So, he'll be losing nearly 77 percent of his pay
    Brad Biggs

Whats your guy's thoughts on that?

vCash

vCash
    Its the rules.

Stupid rule, but a rule.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    Its the rules.

Stupid rule, but a rule.
    Yeah but the amount seemed ridiculous. Mainly bc it's 77% of his gamecheck

vCash
    Yea but its not case by case basis I don't think.

It does seem high though.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    It was clearly a dirty hit and should be fined, but I don't think it's okay to dock one player 70% of their pay-check, but a big-time player like James Harrison gets these fines and they're not even 10% of their paycheck.

This same sort of thing happened to Carolina's FS Sherrod Martin last year. He was making table scraps and got fined in a similar fashion.

vCash
    Pretty much agree with everything that's been said. You can bet when you lose 77% of your income for a given game that you're going to be a bit more careful in those situations in the future. Frankly, I think it sucks for him. He was already moving towards LaFell and would have hit under LaFell's shoulderpads if LaFell hadn't fallen. Still, by the rules, that's a hit against a defenseless receiver, and a hit to the head at that. Players have been fined for less. Personally, I think a lot of players and fans would be happier if you could hit a "defenseless receiver", as long as you weren't hitting his head or taking out his legs. Shoulder-to-shoulder should be fair game, shoulder-to-hip or -thigh or -midsection should be fair game. I miss those jarring hits that knock the ball lose and basically just knock the wind out of a receiver (*maybe* a broken rib or two, but that's gotta be pretty rare).