Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 51 of 51
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,466
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    You can't ignore age, the Yankees were hesitant on giving him a lot of money since he struggled so much in 2010. That is why the talks dragged out.
    Yeah and Wright's agents probably want high pay for 8 years, which is why the talks are dragged out. Let's stop acting like there's only 1 side to this negotiation.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,129
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I knew you were going to use age. I'm sorry but no. Derek is the franchise over there and the Yankees had problems signing him. No way to talk yourself out of that.
    Uh yeah, this last contract when he was alot older and looked to be on the decline but not the contract he signed before 2001 for 10/189 he had no problem with the franchise getting it done so I don't know where you are going with saying I am talking myself out of it. It's a damn fact. Show me where I said the Yankees didn't give him a hard time on this 3/51 deal? When Jeter was in his prime the Yankees were more than willing to reward their captain and not drag it on by picking up options till they have no where to go but trade him or let him walk. So if that's called talking my way out of something in your universe so be it.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,139
    vCash
    1500
    It doesn't matter about age. He IS their franchise and the Yankees and him had their problems. You and others have said the Yankees wouldn't do that to Jeter. Now the straw man argument is age being a factor of why it happened.

    However I have your exact word of saying the Yankees wouldn't do that to Jeter and that isn't true.

    It is funny how people think we are going to just throw 8 years down on a contract and give it to him. It takes a bit to negotiate.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    29,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    You can't ignore age, the Yankees were hesitant on giving him a lot of money since he struggled so much in 2010. That is why the talks dragged out.
    Doesn't matter. When anyone says the Yankees would never do that to Jeter because he is their franchise that isn't true. It happened and the straw man is now going to look at why it did happen because no one remembered that it happened.

    And if I remember correctly in Chippers last year on his contract (2010?) he was wondering what his future held. It took him and the Braves until March to reach a deal on an extension.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,869
    vCash
    1500
    Nope, age matters. Comparing old dudes like Jeter and Chipper to Wright who is in his prime makes no sense.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah age is certainly a factor in negotiations regardless of how revered the player is.

    They need to reason out the parameters of a deal based on future production and that becomes significantly more difficult post 35-36 years old.

    Wright is 30, that's a huge difference because you can still expect reasonable Wright type production for the next 4-5 years.

    The Mets are dragging their feet for no other reason than the Wilpons are cheap *******s.

    If this was the Yankees locking up the face of their franchise at 30, there would be no question they would get a deal done as soon as possible.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-04-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •