Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Plays for the min this year. DOB says he is out of options tho. so unless something great comes to fill the 4th OF position it is his to lose. Not a fan of Gattis getting the 5th OF spot now. we need someone who has proven he can hit at the ML level.
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    I like this move too. Cheap, youngish, speed off the bench and it adds to our roster. Plus he came up in the Braves academy so he knows the program. Nothing earth shattering but it's good news.

vCash
    I realize this is pushing it...big time....but anybody think the Walker/Fletcher combo can turn things around with Schafer?

Again, I know...pushing it...but crazier things have happened before..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    I realize this is pushing it...big time....but anybody think the Walker/Fletcher combo can turn things around with Schafer?

Again, I know...pushing it...but crazier things have happened before..
    Just thinking the exact samething.

vCash
    Good baserunner/defensive replacement with potential for improvement and making the minimum. For a 4th/5th OF... why not?

vCash
    Maybe he's about to turn Shafer in a trade???
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    We got him on Waivers because no one else claimed him, now you think you can trade him?

vCash
    Why have him for free when you can give something up for him?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA View Post
    PLEASE tell me this is just a bench move. If he thinks Schafer is going to fill one of the OF spots then we better be going for Wright and Hamilton too. That's 3 holes in the linup if he's getting the starting nod.
    It's just a bench move, and maybe not even that. There is a silly amount of space on the 40-man roster right now, so it costs nothing to claim Schafer. You can spare your forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    Plays for the min this year. DOB says he is out of options tho. so unless something great comes to fill the 4th OF position it is his to lose. Not a fan of Gattis getting the 5th OF spot now. we need someone who has proven he can hit at the ML level.
    Yeah, good point about the options thing. So, use him or lose him. Could give him a slight leg up in making the final roster, but obviously there's a lot of roster turnover coming between now and then. Completely agreed on Gattis as well. He can be way more than a bench player if he's allowed to develop properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    We got him on Waivers because no one else claimed him, now you think you can trade him?
    This brings to mind a funny/interesting question: just where in the waiver order are the Braves relative to the Astros? When a team places a player on waivers, all other teams in the waiving team's league get first dibs (in reverse order of standings). Then, if he goes unclaimed, the other league gets a shot. But...which league are the Astros in right now? Are they considered an AL club yet? If so, then it's true that almost every other team passed over Schafer. If not, then the Braves were relatively early in the waiver order.

None of this is to say that Schafer actually has trade value. It just struck me as odd how the 'Stros are in league limbo right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    This brings to mind a funny/interesting question: just where in the waiver order are the Braves relative to the Astros? When a team places a player on waivers, all other teams in the waiving team's league get first dibs (in reverse order of standings). Then, if he goes unclaimed, the other league gets a shot. But...which league are the Astros in right now? Are they considered an AL club yet? If so, then it's true that almost every other team passed over Schafer. If not, then the Braves were relatively early in the waiver order.

None of this is to say that Schafer actually has trade value. It just struck me as odd how the 'Stros are in league limbo right now.
    MLB.com still has the as NL Central but I get your argument. what day do they transfer over.
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    i dunno about this. seems to me that 5th OF is perfect for a rookie. he can ease into the game cuz he won't be playing much (if at all).
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    i dunno about this. seems to me that 5th OF is perfect for a rookie. he can ease into the game cuz he won't be playing much (if at all).
    See, I'm on the other side of that. If the rookie is supposed to have any promise at all. I want him playing as much as possible wherever he is. So he actually continues his development.
    Please come join me on the Hawks forums.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post

Haha thats true. Although being its the "off season" for the 2013 year I would guess they are a AL team now.

vCash
    i think both have possibilities for success, it would just depend on how the rest of our roster shakes up. ideally, i wouldn't want too many vets. i don't think that our minor leaguers are so far off that we have to avoid them at all costs. if schafer is the 5th best outfielder coming out of camp he'll be on the squad. if not, i have no problems with gattis.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12