Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Patriots Offensive Line

During the pre-season and even into the season a bit, there was significant concern on this forum concerning the play of the O-line. There was concern here about virtually every position along the line. Would Volmer be back and if not could Cannon do the job? Who would fill the RG if Waters didn't come back? Was Koppen coming back, would he be healthy, is this Dan Connolly's job, would Koppen be the back-up? Is Mankin's coming back and if not would Robert Gallery have the job? Can Nate Solder come into his own after the loss of Matt Light?

So the question is, in your view, how did it all shake out? Any concerns? Any pleasant surprises? Any things you like? Any things you don't like?

BTW, if you believe Dante Scarnecchia deserves some praise, say so.

Here is the O-line roster as it appears today on Patriots . com

Dante Scarnecchia, Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Line

Starting Offensive Line
    77 Solder, Nate T
    70 Mankins, Logan G
    62 Wendell, Ryan OL
    63 Connolly, Dan OL
    76 Vollmer, Sebastian T

65 McDonald, Nick OL
    61 Cannon, Marcus OL
    64 Thomas, Donald OL

Practice Squad
    68 Kopa, Matt OL

Reserve/Injured
    69 Hix, Kyle OL
    71 Richard, Jamey OL

Reserve/Non-Football Injury
    66 Zusevics, Markus T

Complete Roster:

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster.html
    Last edited by subroc; 11-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Solder is headed to being an All-Pro in a year or two.

Vollmer is playing well after two poor weeks to start.

Wendell has been a very pleasant surprise.

Connolly and Mankins have been good when playing.

Thomas has had some good moments - after some very bad ones.

Most of the rest get incompletes.

Overall - excellent. Big cheers for Scar.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Solder and Vollmer have been great lately. Really hoping that we can keep them playing opposite each other for a long while. I'd really like a top C prospect next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Solder and Vollmer have been great lately. Really hoping that we can keep them playing opposite each other for a long while. I'd really like a top C prospect next year.
    Yeah I was gonna say the same thing.

You can count on BB drafting an O-lineman (most likely a C) in either the 1st or 2nd round in the upcoming draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    ...Wendell has been a very pleasant surprise...Big cheers for Scar.
    This article about Ryan Wendell with comments by Dante Scarnecchia prompted the thread.

Dante Scarnecchia is doing a bang up job.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...n-starter-role

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    ...I'd really like a top C prospect next year.
    With the way Ryan Wendell is handling the job, is it needed?

BTW, in 2013 Ryan Wendell is due to make $1,015,000 and will be a UFA in 2014.
    Last edited by subroc; 11-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.

vCash
    Our Oline has grabbed our initial fears and worries and thrown them in the trash. Big praise for Coach Dante, they have been playing extremely well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I dropped my phone in the toilet last night which ruined my week. If that makes you feel better.
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say the same thing.

You can count on BB drafting an O-lineman (most likely a C) in either the 1st or 2nd round in the upcoming draft.
    Few teams draft Centers in the first round.

The Pats have needs at NT/DT, CB, FS, WR - ahead of C.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Few teams draft Centers in the first round.

The Pats have needs at NT/DT, CB, FS, WR - ahead of C.
    BB loves O-line men.

And with Talib now (assuming he plays well and is re-signed) we can go after Eric Reid from LSU maybe for FS.
    Last edited by BostonSports96; 11-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    Definitely need to grab a FS and a DT in the draft
    I dropped my phone in the toilet last night which ruined my week. If that makes you feel better.
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

vCash
    I was definitely concerned, but I also said that Dante's track-record was flawless and that he likely would be able to get the unit back on track. We have the best offensive line coach in the NFL...
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    From Mike Reiss:

Quote Originally Posted by By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
    O-line snapshot via playing time

Nov 4
    12:15
    PM ET

One of the big storylines in the preseason was the Patriots’ offensive line and how it would hold up given all the question marks.

Could Nate Solder fill in for the retired Matt Light at left tackle?

Would four-time Pro Bowler Logan Mankins be healthy enough to go at left guard?

Who wins the center competition – Dan Koppen, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell or Nick McDonald?

Is Brian Waters returning at right guard?

Would Sebastian Vollmer be healthy at right tackle?

At each spot, there was a significant concern, or at the least, a lack of certainty as to how things would unfold.

Now, at the halfway point of the season, the picture has come into the focus and the offensive line has been a strong point for the Patriots.

With this in mind, here is a look at the playing time percentages for each lineman, followed by some quick-hit thoughts:

C Ryan Wendell – 100 percent
    LT Nate Solder – 99.8 percent
    RT Sebastian Vollmer – 90.2 percent
    RG Dan Connolly – 72.9 percent
    LG Logan Mankins – 60.8 percent
    LG/RG Donald Thomas – 54.7 percent
    LG Nick McDonald – 13.0 percent
    RT Marcus Cannon – 12.4 percent

Quick-hit thoughts: Wendell, who came up through the practice squad, has settled in nicely at center. The Patriots are close to a 50 percent in the shotgun, and we can only recall two miscommunications/misfires. … Solder, the 2011 first-round pick, has been impressive at left tackle. There has been no shortage of challenges with some of the edge rushers the team has faced. … Vollmer was eased into the mix nicely, rotating the first two games of the season with Marcus Cannon before assuming a full-time role. What a difference when he’s in the lineup. … Connolly has missed time because of a concussion and then an illness, but has settled in at Waters’ old right guard spot. The initial plan was likely for him to be at center, but when Waters didn’t report, that altered things. … Mankins was ready for the opener, but since Week 4, has been in and out of the lineup because of hip and calf injuries. … If there was a “12th player award”, Thomas would be a good candidate. He’s been an unsung performer, filling in at both guard spots on days when the Patriots have had strong rushing performances. … McDonald filled in at guard against the Jets when depth was thinned because of Connolly’s illness and is a valuable depth option behind Thomas. … Cannon has been the third tackle and most recently saw time in the power package as an extra tight end.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...playing-time-2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    I hadn't realized how much time Mankins missed until now.

We need him healthy for the playoffs.

vCash
    I didn't know how thin we were at T
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    I didn't know how thin we were at T
    Yeah, and T's cost a lot in the draft or FA - if they are elite. And if Vollmer walks, we need a draft pick (high), and a FA. Cannon better stick with G.

vCash
    Yeah, and T's cost a lot in the draft or FA - if they are elite. And if Vollmer walks, we need a draft pick (high), and a FA. Cannon better stick with G.
    I think they should do whatever it takes (within reason) to keep Vollmer. He's a beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast