Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Alabama vs. The NFL's worst

I think we've had a similar thread before here, not sure, but I was watching first take and they were discussing if Alabama could beat the Jaguars. Skip think they would be able to "hang" with them, while the others say no contests Jaguars blows them out.

What are y'all's opinions on this topic? Who wins and what's the score?

I personally think the 2nd stringers for Jacksonville will blow out Alabama, the started will destroy them IMO. Thoughts?
    Texans Time is here!

vCash
    As bad as the Jags are, they would completely destroy Alabama. There will never be a college team that can hang with an NFL team in a game.

Henne would even be able to beat them. Anyone who thinks that Alabama would win is an idiot.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    As bad as the Jags are, they would completely destroy Alabama. There will never be a college team that can hang with an NFL team in a game.

Henne would even be able to beat them. Anyone who thinks that Alabama would win is an idiot.
    My point exactly...every NfL player isn't better than every Alabama player, but the team as a whole....Alabama wouldn't stand a chance I don't see why someone would entertain the idea of Alabama winning
    Texans Time is here!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockets-fan View Post
    My point exactly...every NfL player isn't better than every Alabama player, but the team as a whole....Alabama wouldn't stand a chance I don't see why someone would entertain the idea of Alabama winning
    I agree. People think that just because a college team is doing really good they could beat an NFL team. It's just complete idiocy.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post

Yea, this is dumb. Everyone in the pros were the best players on their college teams, or at least one of them... That being said, Alabama has a few future pros on it's roster, but not enough to even compete.

vCash
    This was on PTI yesterday and I couldn't agree with them more. They would not win, they would in all likelihood get crushed. The difference between the mediocre in the college and pro game is light years apart. The top players MIGHT be NFL caliber but the average guys are never going to sniff an NFL field and they would be why they get crushed.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    So the question is would a college team that has maybe a handful of players that will get drafted or be UDFAs and even less will actually make an NFL roster and even less will actually be any good could compete in a game with a roster full of actual NFL players?
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    It wouldn't even be a contest. It's a popular joke that the best college team could beat the worst NFL team, but several of the starters for Bama won't even make the NFL. Even the worst players on the Jags would be starters for any college team.
    Last edited by j11430; 11-01-2012 at 11:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    It wouldn't even be a contest. It's a popular joke that the best college team could beat the worst NFL team, but several of the starters for Bama won't even make the NFL. Even the worst players on the Jags would be starters for any college team.

EDIT: I do, however, believe the 2008 Florida Gators may have stood a chance against the '08 Lions. That team was LOADED with NFL talent. They still probably would have lost, but it'd be close. (Obviously this is hypothetical)
    2001 Hurricanes have to get SOME discussion in this...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    Every once in a while there are college teams that may be able to hang a little bit with an absolutely god-awful NFL team. But they'd still probably lose in the end.

vCash
    Every once in a while there are college teams that may be able to hang a little bit with an absolutely god-awful NFL team. But they'd still probably lose in the end.
    Of course.

Granted, if we were to take the NFL players of that team in their prime along with the college guys, I think they could handle their weaknesses. Think about it, a prime Andre, Reed, Shockey, Portis, Mckinnie, Vilma, DJ Williams...

vCash
    Of course.

Granted, if we were to take the NFL players of that team in their prime along with the college guys, I think they could handle their weaknesses. Think about it, a prime Andre, Reed, Shockey, Portis, Mckinnie, Vilma, DJ Williams...
    I think we're trying to say the same thing haha very rarely could a college team even compete. And even when they could, the odds are still stacked against them.

vCash
    Of course.

except we can't, its when they were in school
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    no team should get any discussion. its an absurd premise. no college team would beat a pro-team. no chance.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    If you're talking about RIGHT NOW though, Gabbert is worlds better than Mccaron. He's faced NFL defenses for almost two years, he could shred a college defense at this point
    By this premise you'd trust Curtis Painter over Matt Barkley because he's faced NFL defenses before. Again, while you think Gabbert would go in and dominate the college teams, who is to say McCarron couldn't have success against the worst NFL defenses? He has yet to throw an INT this year, I don't care who you are playing against, that is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    no team should get any discussion. its an absurd premise. no college team would beat a pro-team. no chance.
    While I agree with the overall idea that NFL teams are so far superior to college teams they'd win 99.9% of the time, I think it's a little ridiculous to rule out an excellent college team beating a terrible NFL team for three reasons:

Coaching, Scheme, Team Dynamic.

There are lots of inferior teams that beat superior ones becasue their have a more solid identity, better scheme, and more effort. I just don't think anyone is factoring in those aspects when they talk about this.

All they do is bring up talent. Well, talent didn't help Alabama or Oklahoma beat Boise State. It didn't help Michigan beat Appalachia State, it didn't help USC beat Stanford in 07, it didn't help NE beat NYG, it didn't help Green Bay beat KC last year, etc., etc., etc.

The most talented team doesn't always win, the clearly, far superior, way more talented team doesn't always win. People are discrediting how far good coaching and great teamwork contribute to winning.

Is it possible for a completely stacked College Team with an excellent coaching atmosphere, team cohesion, and excellent gameplan to face a terrible pro team with a lackluster coach, a defeatist atmosphere, and a terrible gameplan?

Absolutely. Now, would I bet on it? Absolutely not.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast