Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bye Week discussion thread

Talk about bye's here!

vCash
    Interesting article on the Pats vs. how they were last year at this point:

Patriots seem poised for run
    This season's first half looks better than that of last year's Super Bowl team

The New England Patriots will next take the field on Nov. 11 when they host the Buffalo Bills, and they will do so with at least a share of the lead in the AFC East.

The game will take place just more than a year after the Patriots' first and only loss at Gillette Stadium during the 2011 season, a heartbreaker to the New York Giants.

In the moments after that game, questions were flying as to whether the 5-3 Patriots, who had lost consecutive games to teams that would eventually find themselves in the playoffs, had what it took to measure up to the cream of the crop in the NFL.

As it would turn out, eight weeks and eight wins later the Patriots had clearly established themselves as the dominant team in the AFC, and they ended up representing the conference in the Super Bowl.

Fast forward to the here and now, and the Patriots are once again 5-3.

And while the team has won four of its past five games, some remain quick to point out the team's defensive deficiencies and perceived inability to deliver a consistent offensive effort with the game on the line.

Has anything changed?

Through eight games in 2011, the Patriots were tied for fourth in the NFL in scoring (27.8 points per game) and were second in the NFL in total offense.

This season, the team is tops in both categories, averaging 32.8 points per game and 440.8 yards per outing.

Digging deeper inside the offense, it becomes clear that the Patriots are a different and more balanced unit. Though the team has attempted 337 passes through eight games this season, an identical total to last year at this juncture, those passes have accounted for just 55.0 percent of all offensive plays, down from 62.9 percent last season.

Not only are the Patriots running the ball more frequently (34.5 attempts per game compared to 24.9), they're doing so with greater effectiveness, as they check in as the fifth-best rushing team in NFL, averaging 149.6 yards per game. That's nearly 40 yards more per game than in 2011.

[CODE]Through eight games in 2011, the Patriots were tied for fourth in the NFL in scoring (27.8 points per game) and were second in the NFL in total offense.

This season, the team is tops in both categories, averaging 32.8 points per game and 440.8 yards per outing.

Digging deeper inside the offense, it becomes clear that the Patriots are a different and more balanced unit. Though the team has attempted 337 passes through eight games this season, an identical total to last year at this juncture, those passes have accounted for just 55.0 percent of all offensive plays, down from 62.9 percent last season.

Not only are the Patriots running the ball more frequently (34.5 attempts per game compared to 24.9), they're doing so with greater effectiveness, as they check in as the fifth-best rushing team in NFL, averaging 149.6 yards per game. That's nearly 40 yards more per game than in 2011.

Code:
    Pats offensive stats through 8 games
                                    2011 (rank)	2012 (rank)
    Passing attempts	        337	        337
    Passing percentage	        62.9%	        55%
    Rushing percentage	        37.1%	        45%
    Yards per game	                437.3 (2nd)	440.8 (1st)
    Plays in 3-WR package	        175	        337
    Plays in 2-WR, 2-TE package	301	        205
    Avg. rushing yards	        111.6 (17th)	149.6 (5th)
    Avg. rushing att.	        24.9 (23rd)     34.5 (2nd)
    The emergence of Stevan Ridley, who is on pace to become the first Patriots running back with 10 100-yard rushing games in a season, has played a role in the surging rushing attack, as has an up-tempo pace that has increased the offense's average number of plays per game (from 67.4 to 76.6).

And while Ridley has become the focus on the ground, quarterback Tom Brady has once again turned to receiver Wes Welker and red-hot tight end Rob Gronkowski as his go-to targets.

Gronkowski's 43 catches are just one off his pace from 2011, though he's been targeted four more times. After setting an NFL record for touchdowns by a tight end in 2011, Gronkowski's seven through eight games in 2012 surpass his 2011 total of six over the same span.

Welker, whose slow start in 2012 raised questions about his role within the offense, hasn't been quite as productive as his totals from last season, but remains tied for second in the NFL with 60 catches. He trails just Colts wideout Reggie Wayne for the NFL lead in receiving yards.

Due to the absence of tight and Aaron Hernandez for nearly five games, the Patriots have come to rely on a one-tight-end, three-receiver set in 2012. They've already run 337 plays from "11" personnel, up from 175 last season. Despite the shift, it's clear the productivity has not dipped.

Code:
    Pats defensive stats through 8 games
                                    2011 (rank)	2012 (rank)
    Sacks                   	15	        17
    20-yd. pass plays allowed	38	        28
    Points per game allowed	        23.0 (20th)	21.3 (12th)
    Opp. QB passer rating	        91.1 (26th)	96.9 (27th)
    While the defense remains a work in progress, the Patriots can take solace in marked improvement in a number of statistical categories. The defense is yielding nearly two fewer points per game at this juncture in 2012 (21.3 as opposed to 23.0) and has cut down its yards allowed per game by nearly 50 (416.2 to 369.8).

The decrease in yardage can be traced to an improved effort at cutting down big plays (plays of 20 yards or more). Although the team has surrendered 28 of those plays already, that's 10 fewer than at this point last season.

The Patriots again are in the middle of the pack for sacks, with 17.0 in 2012, two ahead of 2011.

Add it all up and it would appear that yes, things have changed.

The Patriots have been more productive in the first half of 2012 than they were in 2011.

But what does it all mean?

Spend a day, even an hour in the Patriots' facilities, and it will become clear that the team isn't interested in relying on statistics to figure out solutions. It cares about results, wins.

A season ago at this time, the Patriots had chewed through the teeth of their schedule and survived the halfway point with a 5-3 record and an inside track to another AFC East title.

With 19,000-plus miles traveled in their rearview mirror, a bye week at hand and an itinerary that won't see them leave the Eastern time zone for the balance of their schedule, the Patriots again have gone through many of their most difficult tasks (although a six-day December stretch that features home games against the Houston Texans and San Francisco 49ers looms large).

The team again has the inside track on the AFC East crown as the lone team without a loss within the division.

A year ago, the Patriots jumped off from this point of the season and never looked back.

The numbers suggest this group is stronger than that team was through eight games.

Only one question remains: Can the Patriots piece together another special second half in 2012?

Code:
    Rob Gronkowski through 8 games
                            2011	2012
    Targets per game	7.6	8.0
    Receptions per game	5.5	5.4
    Rec yards per game	74.5	72.5
    Receiving TD	        6	7 (T-1st)
    Code:
    Wes Welker through 8 games
                            2011	2012
    Targets per game	11.4	10.1
    Receptions per game	8.3	7.5 (T-2nd)
    Rec yards per game	120.0	92.0
    Receiving TD	        6	2
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ig-second-half
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bi'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Talk about bye's here!

Anyways. It sucks not having football for a week. It's nice that the boys get to heal up and get some down time.

I also saw the article that compared last years team (5-3) after 8 to this years team (5-3) after 8. The defense is middle of the pack in some statistics but are still pretty pathetic in others.

I think the run D is pretty stout, but the secondary still needs to do better. No one thought that the Patriots would make it to the Super Bowl last year with the secondary they had...so I still think this team can make it to the Super Bowl.

I can't wait for the San Francisco/NE and Houston/NE game...should show us what the Patriots are made of.

vCash
    I agree the niners and texans will give us insight to how we will perform in the playoffs.
    I think our O will be more potent as the weeks go by. Also, we really need to help the secondary. At this point I'd prefer Edelman at CB over Arrington.

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    Rumors of a DRC for Vollumer trade circulating on ESPN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Rumors of a DRC for Vollumer trade circulating on ESPN
    I refuse to believe that. Vollmer is really good.

If it did go down it must mean that BB really, really likes DRC and/or he doesn't think Vollmer will physically hold up well enough to sign long term after the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    A little off topic but, it would be really scary if the Dolphins tie the Pats for the division lead. Who would of thought the Dolphins were gonna be this good this early in the season? If the playoffs started today the Dolphins and Colts would be the wild card teams.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

vCash
    Talib to replace Arrington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    A little off topic but, it would be really scary if the Dolphins tie the Pats for the division lead. Who would of thought the Dolphins were gonna be this good this early in the season? If the playoffs started today the Dolphins and Colts would be the wild card teams.
    I don't know if the Dolphins will stick around in the playoff race this season, but I think they found a winner in Joe Philbin. I loved the way he structured practices in training camp, and he is the type of coach that commands respect from his locker room. His practices were all about getting as many plays off as possible, and this will allow them to be well-conditioned and to play at a fast pace. Many of his philosophies on practice are similar to what Chip Kelly does, and we all know that Kelly has respect from Belichick.The Dolphins could be edging closer to relevance.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    ^^It depends on which patriots team shows up for the rest of the season. Personally i think what we saw against the rams, is the team we will see. Plus personnel getting healthier helps too. But if for any reason the pats become inconsistent like the begining of the season i could see the phins hanging around

vCash
    We get to play the Phins twice, so two W's should increase the distance. I agree with BITM12 that they are on the path towards relevance.

vCash
    I thought I'd post this so we can laugh at how some of the Jets fans are still delusional enough to think Sanchez is the answer at QB and that they can win a Super Bowl with him as QB:

Nearly one-quarter of Sanchez's passes this season have fallen incomplete due to being overthrown or underthrown, the highest rate in league.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85...question-marks
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    I don't know if the Dolphins will stick around in the playoff race this season, but I think they found a winner in Joe Philbin. I loved the way he structured practices in training camp, and he is the type of coach that commands respect from his locker room. His practices were all about getting as many plays off as possible, and this will allow them to be well-conditioned and to play at a fast pace. Many of his philosophies on practice are similar to what Chip Kelly does, and we all know that Kelly has respect from Belichick.The Dolphins could be edging closer to relevance.
    I wonder what Miami's record would be like if they, kept Chad Johnson?
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.