Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86:24150587
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    Name a team who won a title doing it that way.
    I don't know what you mean? Acquiring role players first then stars?

Plenty of teams have set themselves up with manageable contracts (that either expired or were traded) and then struck in FA or in trades. As long as no one on your roster is immovable, you can create cap space. Having attractive assets is what allows you to make trades (look at how BOS assembled the big 3 and how we got Bynum)
    Plenty of teams? Yet no examples. Awesome
    Are you blind? Do I need to put everything in bold? I clearly used Bos and the 76ers as examples.

Are the 76ers not an example of a team that acquired a potential star with role players here already. The celtics traded players and draft picks to bring in kg and allen. Hou just did it with harden.
    Pretty bad example in boston actually. Boston was bad and traded their high draft pick for ray allen. And their budding star (who they drafted) in al jefferson for kg.

Ive already said that if bynum is healthy the point is moot, usisng the sixers as an example is super weak sauce (and the sixers havent won a title by the way).

Boston is more of an example of never knowing what trades will be out there or what superstars may become disgruntled and demand a trade.... Its still a stretch to use them as an example considering they had paul pierce still in his prime and the assets to make the kg trade AND the picks to make the ray allen trade.... While the sixers have neither.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Pretty bad example in boston actually. Boston was bad and traded their high draft pick for ray allen. And their budding star (who they drafted) in al jefferson for kg.

Ive already said that if bynum is healthy the point is moot, usisng the sixers as an example is super weak sauce (and the sixers havent won a title by the way).

Boston is more of an example of never knowing what trades will be out there or what superstars may become disgruntled and demand a trade.... Its still a stretch to use them as an example considering they had paul pierce still in his prime and the assets to make the kg trade AND the picks to make the ray allen trade.... While the sixers have neither.
    And that is my point. As long as you have assets that aren't too overpriced (or at least on short term deals), they are assets to some degree.

More Ex. When MIA acquired Shaq and the entire Detroit team that won in 04. I'm sure we will see more examples in this era since FA and trades are more common. You need a star, but you can get one as long you don't spend all your money on crappy player.

Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, cash considerations, Boston's 2009 first-round draft pick (top 3 protected) isn't the best haul in the world. Jefferson is the best player there and he isn't even that good (horrible defender, inefficient offensively). He is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash

Jrue Holiday signed 4 year 41 million dollar contract ext.

I still dont like the example.... Boston had a young big man who was putting up numbers. Theres a premium for that in the league... They also had the 5th pick in the draft.

The sixers dont have anything that can match the value of those 2 things.

Miami had dwayne wade.... Ie. a superstar.... Point immediately void.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    We got Jrue at under Rondo money, but will make as much as him IF he puts good numbers(Rondo's underpaid BTW). We got the 2nd best C in the League. We got solid role players.. a C n back up PF that might break out this year, and a number 2 overall pick in ET. You never know which disgruntled star will demand a trade, or which team will wanna start over, etc..
    This could be the yr Thad n Hawes play better than ever. With Thad, Hawes, ET, Lavoy, Swaggy, Wright, Moultrie.. we have the pieces to get us a nice return. Some names that come to mind are Marcus Thornton, K Martin, Milsap, Danny Green, Josh Smith, some good picks, etc..
    IDK man.. I feel we've done all the right things so far this year. I dont know what you saying when talking about "sign your Superstar first" or w/e.. I could understand if we gave Jrue 13+mil or sumthin, but we got a real good deal on him(nothing near max), he'll never be worth less than 10M(unless freak accident), we don't gotta mess with the whole bidding process next yr. We have no **** contracts! Maybe only J Rich, but its not even that bad.. After Jrue n Bynum, we got room for another max, another costly player, and the assets to get probably one of em and a good pick. I don't get what we are doing wrong?
    Last edited by Airevo76; 11-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.

vCash
    Thad needs to go. Moultrie will be a better player then Thad if his development goes well. Bynum will re-sign and i dont really think he's as injury prone as people make out. If this was the playoffs he'd be on court. Not high on Thorton at all for some reason. Millsap would be a decent combo with Bynum but never loved the guy. Id like JR Smith on a 2 year deal.

vCash
    i said it like a million times.... if bynum comes back plays like a beast and re-signs... nohing ive said matters.

so why do people still use 'having bynum' as part of their argument as a counter point?

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Boston is actually an example of having a superstar and then adding players around him and not vice versa. Bos had Pierce, who was a star, before the added KG and Allen. In fact they were dying to add a player around Pierce, so much so that they offered a huge amount for AI. Even though the acquired KG and Allen via trade, oy was a little different then in that players had more say about where they were traded.

The Sixers don't currently have assets similar to Boston did at that time. Also, the current make up of the NBA doesn't bold well for a team needing a legit wing scorer. I believe Jrue will be better this year and worth his deal and also think Bynum will resign and play to his potential. However, they are missing that 3rd piece and I'm not sure how they get it at this point.

vCash
    i said it like a million times.... if bynum comes back plays like a beast and re-signs... nohing ive said matters.

so why do people still use 'having bynum' as part of their argument as a counter point?
    our point is your really dont need to be saying it

vCash
    of course i do.... ive seen how this plays out without a superstar already.

we just had 4 years of iggy making 12-14million.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    I just don't know how the money's gonna add up to build a contender when Jrue and Thad combined are making close to $20M per.

But I guess if Jrue reaches his potential it could be worth it.

Right.....it wasn't the other 10-20 horrible decisions made by the franchise that kept it in mediocrity. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I'm not good with metaphors. But there is more than one way to build a contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    Livable.
    76ers - Eagles - Flyers - Phillies
    Union

vCash
    Jrues contract is a beautiful thing. I'm ecstatic about it. Knew he wasn't tryna get greedy. And they came in a quarter million per under my number.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

vCash

Yeah, but you saying that if Bynum leaves, that Jrue will lead us back into mediocrity, and hence this being a bad signing.. right? I dont get that.
    We wait till next year, and we still wouldnt retain him for anything less than what he just got. If anything.. better chance teams throw him something higher for us to match. His numbers are only going up this yr, and I don't care what anyone thinks about PG being the deepest position.. Kings, Bucks, Bobcats, Mavs, Hornets, Jazz, Magic could all use his services. If somehow we're forced to rebuild.. we probably don't even have to move him in order to get in the lottery.. move Spence n dem, finish with a **** record and probably end up with two top 10 picks like POR this past draft. Like I said in an earlier post though.. thats too far down the line and drastic of a scenario to really know who we should move, and who will be available in the draft or w/e for trade n all dat.. This Jrue extension is good no matter what imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesKong View Post
    Jrues contract is a beautiful thing. I'm ecstatic about it. Knew he wasn't tryna get greedy. And they came in a quarter million per under my number.
    Same here bro

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86:24153167

You think we didn't win a championship during Iggy's tenure because of his contract? Lolol. You are the biggest troll on here. How am I the only one who sees this?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast