Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael6BT View Post
    ^^^gay
    +10

FYI, "Rise of the Guardians" is very, very meh. A few interesting visual sequences, a couple of chuckles on the back 9, but full of unappealing voice actors (Chris Pine, Alec Baldwin, Isla Fisher, Hugh Jackman... all fine screen actors, just not very interesting to listen to; exception-Jude Law as Pitch Black, he does a fine job; I'm just 100% over celebrity voice-casting. I'd much rather some hard working union guy trying to support his family get the gig {I happen to be related to one}, but I also grow so distracted trying to figure out who is who I can barely concentrate on the movie).

Story also takes some dark turns (opens with a death scene by drowning, death scene by drowning is then explored IN MORE DETAIL later in the film; Really Dreamworks? Asthma-inducing death scenes in a movie starring the Easter Bunny?) and takes so many screamingly obvious plot turns, many of which make 0% sense to the story, that it's difficult to invest. I know it's a kids' movie, but that does not excuse it from being coherent. Kids aren't stupid, they know when a story doesn't make sense.

Anyway, figured my PSD posters with kids might appreciate the heads-up. I told my kids for MONTHS we were not going to see it because it reeked of corporate blandness in June when the previews started. Then it got dangled as a behavior reward, and so the thing I'd been trying to avoid for 6 months became a reality as I looked longingly at the theaters across the way playing "Skyfall" and "Flight."
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    http://exitzero.us/?s=terry+o%27brien

A link to some of my writing for those of you who are super-bored.

My latest short, "A Very Zombie Christmas", is currently running in the magazine. I've almost finished writing it (1 chapter left) and I have to say it's my favorite thing I've ever written. Maybe even the best. An admittedly low bar.

It's not online yet but it should be soon.
    [

vCash
    Those films are the biggest cop out for actors/actresses. Voice Overs.
    Jude Law may be my least favorite actor, even his British accent can't save my resentment.

What does "meh" actually mean, especially very, very meh?
    Very, very average?

vCash
    Meh = so painfully average it can't retain my attention despite being projected onto a large screen, very loudly, and cost millions to make.

I am not a huge Law fan, but he wasn't terrible in this is all. Perhaps by comparison.

Voice over acting is an art. I've done a couple of jobs and a lot goes into it as far as prep and maintaining consistency. It's a craft you have to work at. Most of these guys do it because they make a huge amount of money for a few hours work.
    [

vCash
    Ok. I agree with your last statement. That's why I mentioned a "cop out".

I'm not as educated on acting as you are, but I cannot paint a voiceover gig as an artform. It's really yourself, a microphone, a dark room, and that character you're channeling. I understand that may be difficult, but I imagine actors/actresses have a lot more freedom in their mistakes. Kind of like a Trial-and-Error where the errors outweigh everything. The actor/actresses probably enjoy voiceover gigs as well, so that shows it is becoming more popular for whatever reason. Their generic answer would be the kids, but the checks are what keep them motivated.

vCash
    To clarify, by "these guys" in my previous post, I meant the Big Hollywood-types. I'm sure they get all the ****-up time they want.

Guys like me and 99% of all other voiceover actors are working within very tight time constraints, so trial-and-error isn't really a thing you get. It's more get-it-right-the-first-time-or-we're-****ed approach.
    [

vCash
    Ok. There's the artform aspect.

I see several shows showcasing actors/actresses doing voiceovers in the studio. They're giggling, drinking their Starbucks. I can't help but tell myself.....if these ****ers didn't have recognizeable voices, they would not be suited for this voiceover opportunity.

Just curious, what is a voiceover gig you would attempt?
    Radio/TV commercials, or television syndicate voiceovers?
    Unless there are opportunities I am unaware of....

vCash
    I've done several projects for Morey's Piers. I'm sort of the "in-house" actor guy they turn to for a lot of this kind of stuff. These pay me $0 above my normal salary and the time frame generally consists of;

Minute 1: Receive phone call informing me I'm needed to read some copy to audio.
    Minute 2-9: Receive copy, read through it 5-6x, practice it out loud 3-4x.
    Minute 10: Record.
    Minute 11: Record again.
    Minute 12: Record once more for coverage.
    Minute 13: New ad is playing on local radio.

The highest profile (if you can call it that) job was for a Korean company called Little Fox that produced animated videos of classic fairy tales to teach English to Korean school.

For this job I narrated Peter Pan, 8 hours a day for 5 days. It was a LOT of copy (I read everything that wasn't dialogue), 1000's of words per day, prep for which consisted of reading it aloud and internally every moment I wasn't recording it. You have to sound like you're telling a story by heart, not reading it from a page, which requires intimate familiarity with the material. Certainly not physically difficult work, but it was a long, stressful week, with lots of micro-managing from the director.

It wasn't digging ditches, but still difficult to do. This is why I felt perfectly comfortable collecting $80/hr. for the job.

What jobs would I do? Any that are offered. Unfortunately, the voiceover biz is dominated by a very small number of people (one of whom is my brother-in-law) who are not exactly warm and welcoming to new competition.

I can do an array of voices; I have about a 99.4% Homer Simpson, and a dozen other original voices I developed in my theater days. I also spent a summer as a radio DJ on 98.7 WCZT in Wildwood.
    [

vCash
    Good stuff Ender.

Now I can understand the artform with that 13-minute process.
    It sounds repetitive, but if you're good at it, then **** it, accept the gift.

BTW, always wanted to be a radio DJ, but I bet there are so many Damn politics with a radio show.
    It seems as though DJ/VJ enjoy their airtime, but can't wait for the intermission. You'd be perfect for sports radio though....you'd ruffle so many feathers people couldn't get enough of you.

vCash
    Thanks?

I don't want to overstate my DJ experience; I was the weekend 80's guy for 12 weeks. I was replaced by a machine. But while I did it I was pretty good at it. The on air stuff was easy. Running the board was terrifying.
    [

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseWithFleas View Post
    Been a while! How's school going for ya?
    Pretty good man, much better than last year.

I haven't been in here in quite some time, is the perpetual "how good is Ryan Howard?" argument still going on or has that finally been settled?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    Pretty good man, much better than last year.

I haven't been in here in quite some time, is the perpetual "how good is Ryan Howard?" argument still going on or has that finally been settled?
    We hit an impasse and activity on the Phils forum has rocketed to a low not seen BSL (Before Sixer Lover)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Thanks?

I don't want to overstate my DJ experience; I was the weekend 80's guy for 12 weeks. I was replaced by a machine. But while I did it I was pretty good at it. The on air stuff was easy. Running the board was terrifying.
    I love music, so running the board sounds fun.

The on air stuff would irritate me. Covering the news, and having a limited approach towards callers is what would get me going. There's a political sense (in that you have to be civil, but also have your opinion. You have to hold back for listeners to keep ratings or whatever. I would definitely like to do it though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseWithFleas View Post
    We hit an impasse and activity on the Phils forum has rocketed to a low not seen BSL (Before Sixer Lover)
    Wait for it, I think it's rekindling in the offseason thread. I suggested that if the Phillies signed a guy like Swisher, they may need to move Howard down in the order.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I love music, so running the board sounds fun.

The on air stuff would irritate me. Covering the news, and having a limited approach towards callers is what would get me going. There's a political sense (in that you have to be civil, but also have your opinion. You have to hold back for listeners to keep ratings or whatever. I would definitely like to do it though.
    It was very much a top 40, ad-heavy, white bread, right down the middle station, though I tried to inject as much of my sardonic, twisted wit into, say, reading the weather; "30% chance of rain with a 100% chance of me missing the Phillies game tonight..."

I'd get lots of texts from my friends and I'd "speak" to them in code on the air.

Stuff like that.

Running the board was fine, I had a general working knowledge going in off my years of working in bands. But the process of getting the guys out on remote feeds on the air, which was really my main function (and hence, why I was later replaced by a machine), was a little daunting and gave me chest pains every time. I just never got used to it.

But I would screw with the playlist and insert a lot of Cure, REM and Camper Van Beethoven into a show that was built on Cyndi Lauper, Bon Jovi and Huey Lewis.

EDIT: Hosted 80s show in 2007.
    Last edited by Ender; 12-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    [

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast