Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Phillies 2015/2016 Off Season

So, I'm excited (somewhat) for the upcoming 2016 season. Let's see what we've got in store as the off season kicks off with the Mets losing the World Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

vCash
    F the Mets! Love the Klentak hire. Nice to finally be on the analytics train. Glad they brought Mackanin back, the guys seem to play hard for him. Saw that Bowa and Samuel are returning for 2016, with Samuel moving to 3rd base coach and Morandini taking over as 1st base coach. All sounds good to me. I don't think the Phillies make any splash Free Agent signings this off-season. We don't want to lose that top 2nd round pick plus we're not ready to win yet. Give it a year or so for things to come together first before we spend any money in FA. After next year Howard and Ruiz are off the books and all a sudden we have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball.

For now build our core of the next era... Franco, Nola, Giles, Crawford, Eickhoff, hopefully Nick Williams, Jake Thompson, one of the catchers Knapp or Alfaro, plus the draft picks from this upcoming 2016 draft specifically whoever they get #1. The future is looking brighter as our farm system improves and payroll continues to open up.

vCash
    any idea on who is the top prospect to draft and if he will be a stud or are we getting screwed like we always do and the draft is weak?

Sports fans check out my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7...ONEiygcjbfyUHQ for nfl and sports videos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyBronco08 View Post
    any idea on who is the top prospect to draft and if he will be a stud or are we getting screwed like we always do and the draft is weak?
    It seems like a solid draft class from what I've seen. Although there might not be a big name like a Strasberg or a Bryce Harper there are certainly some top pitchers that will emerge from this class. At the top of the list there are two big college pitchers... Alec Hansen, a 6'7 RHP from University of Oklahoma and A.J. Puk, a 6'7 LHP from University of Florida. Other names to keep an eye on are Robert Tyler a 6'4 RHP from University of Georgia and Connor Jones a 6'3 RHP from University of Virginia. There are also some high school pitchers with big time potential... Riley Pint (6'4 RHP), Austin Bergner (6'4 RHP), and South Jersey product Jason Groome (6'6 LHP). It's almost certain the Phillies will take a pitcher #1 and although a lot can change between now and June our pick will absolutely be one of the names listed above.

vCash
    Does Crawford start the year in AA or AAA? Who moves up from Reading to Lehigh Valley?

vCash
    With his bumps through out the season and in the fall, he'll probably be in Reading for the full season.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

vCash
    I kinda wanna see the Phillies go out and sign some underperforming young pitchers that shouldn't require high salaries and possibly looking for reclamation type 1-2 year deals.

Latos, Cahill, Chacin, Fister. I wouldn't mind grabbing those guys to put in the mix with Nola, Harrison (if he ever pitches), Eickhoff, Morgan.

Nola and Eickhoff seem to be the only locks. I'd love to get one of those pitchers I mentioned because they could provide some good value on the cheap and actually may be decent building blocks on the cheap.

vCash
    I like the idea of that. Does anyone have a list of Free Agents who aren't expected to require draft pick compensation?

vCash
    I would be ok with the Phillies getting Crush Davis, Heyward, and one or two of those pitchers I said.

C: Ruiz/Rupp - 2017: Rupp/Knapp-Alfaro maybe
    1B: Davis (Howard bench) 2017: Davis
    2B: Hernandez/Sweeney 2017: Hernandez/Sweeney maybe a mix
    SS: Galvis - possibly later in the year Crawford 2017: Crawford around May easily if he's not up in 2016
    3B: Franco 2017: Franco
    LF: Asche/Ruf/Altherr 2017: Altherr/Williams if Williams comes up, could see a late season 2016 call up
    CF: Altherr/Herrera - Quinn if healthy gets a call-up 2017: Herrera/Altherr - Quinn starts if healthy in 2016
    RF: Heyward 2017: Heyward

2016 they could start signing guys in late 20s like Davis and Heyward and by 2017 they could potentially have a line-up of

C: Alfaro/Knapp
    1B: Davis
    2B: Hernandez/Sweeney (only real downfall on team)
    SS: Crawford
    3B: Franco
    LF: Williams
    CF: Quinn
    RF: Heyward

1 Crawford
    2 Heyward
    3 Franco/Davis
    4 Davis/Franco
    5 Alfaro/Williams
    6 Williams/Alfaro
    7 Quinn
    8 Hernadez/Sweeney
    9 pitcher

I like that potential and your oldest guys are just getting to their 30s and that's 2 guys.

I'm just saying I DO think the Phillies should sign one of Heyward, Davis, or maybe even Weiters?

vCash
    Honestly, at this point I am just hoping they make some low risk medium reward type signings in the rotation. I'd like a guy like Heyward but he is the only major free agent I would want them to invest in due to age and their draft slot. I think Davis will get a nice size contract and with his ups and downs I would avoid him too be honest.

vCash
    Phillies claimed 30 year old reliever Dan Otero off waivers from the Oakland A's. Otero was 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA in 39 innings in 2013 and 8-2 with a 2.28 ERA in 87 innings in 2014. Last year was rough with a 6.75 ERA in 47 innings but it definitely seems like a worthwhile gamble especially considering Otero is a groundball pitcher. Otero will make $512,500 this year and is then eligible for arbitration each of the following 3 seasons. Nice first move by Klentak.

vCash
    Relievers are always different year to year so hopefully he gives them a strong 1st half and they can trade him for a young piece.

vCash
    Do you think we are the team that won the rights to Byung Ho Park?? They keep eliminating teams and the Phillies still remain a possibility. With our available money I would love this. a $12 mil posting fee + something like 5 years $40 mil would be totally worth a shot in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by godunkadunk8 View Post
    Do you think we are the team that won the rights to Byung Ho Park?? They keep eliminating teams and the Phillies still remain a possibility. With our available money I would love this. a $12 mil posting fee + something like 5 years $40 mil would be totally worth a shot in my opinion.
    Nevermind it was the Twins. Good, he sucks anyway.

vCash
    I do with the Phillies were the team to invest, but there is a relatively high bust chance for Park. Say 30% he doesn't do anything positive.

The Phillies were, without a doubt, the very best positioned team to acquire him, so I did think they were the top bidders. Between their payroll flexibility, lack of prospects at the position, and Howard/Ruf, they had every reason to take a shot.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast