Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 1072
  1. #76
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,342
    vCash
    1500
    Given the Rays holes in their lineup vacated by Scott and Pena, I'm wondering what value LaHair and Soriano have to the Rays? I'm sure the Cubs would eat all of Soriano's contract to get a better return, thus both guys would be on the cheap for the always strapped Rays.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    I'd like to see if the cubs could work out a Barney for Porcello framework
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    9,045
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    Given the Rays holes in their lineup vacated by Scott and Pena, I'm wondering what value LaHair and Soriano have to the Rays? I'm sure the Cubs would eat all of Soriano's contract to get a better return, thus both guys would be on the cheap for the always strapped Rays.
    The Rays and Angels make quite a bit of sense for the Cubs should be dealing with.

    I like the Soriano/Lahair deal to the Rays for Parker Markel and Alex Colome with us paying a large portion of Sorianos contract.

    I would send the Angels Marmol for Haren with each team covering the other teams contract. Cubs pay 12 million for Haren and the Angels pay 9.5 million for Marmol with the angels sending 3.5 which = his buyout to the CUBS for a great exact swap of pitchers.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,752
    vCash
    1500
    Villanueva is a soft-tossing righty with extreme fly ball tendencies. I get the idea of trying to unearth overlooked pitchers, but this one may not be the best fit for Wrigley.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,156
    vCash
    1500
    He can only pitch on days the wind is blowing in. Theo is going to use Wrigley to his advantage.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tullahoma, TN
    Posts
    5,619
    vCash
    1500
    Don't know if this has been mentioned (and honestly don't feel like looking it up) but McGhee was non tendered, maybe he could be a stop gap option at 3b. Wouldn't be an expensive signing, and would have more pop than Valbuena.


    Welcome back Theriot... and say hello to my little friend...

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    20 minutes from the field of dreams
    Posts
    1,128
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    I prdedict a cubs trade to be announced on Friday...not sure who but something is in the works. Smoke Smoke Smoke.
    Dont do that to me, I'm off work today and tomorrow I have fall cleanup to do! Now I'll just sit here and wait.....

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4,885
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I'd like to see if the cubs could work out a Barney for Porcello framework
    same here. We know the Tigers love Barney, depends on how much they love him though. A Barney for Porcello framework would be ideal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers got back in on Garza again because of their owners win now attitude.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,348
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I'd like to see if the cubs could work out a Barney for Porcello framework
    Hearing the Barney 'market' is actually rather high- many teams have (finally) started to put an everyday starting 2B value to him (most of last year, many scouts told me their organization viewed Barney as a utility player on the value chart) An everyday starting 2B value is enough to land a solid SP from a pitching rich organization.

    I don't believe they intend to deal him however I know that they will do so if their value expectations are met. Porcello may be it, I know they love Vance Worley and the Phils have entertained the idea of shifting Utley to LF to try and prolong his career... NOT SAYING either is likely, just putting rumor-to-rumor to come to a logical conclusion...
    Ombudsman

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,245
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Hearing the Barney 'market' is actually rather high- many teams have (finally) started to put an everyday starting 2B value to him (most of last year, many scouts told me their organization viewed Barney as a utility player on the value chart) An everyday starting 2B value is enough to land a solid SP from a pitching rich organization.

    I don't believe they intend to deal him however I know that they will do so if their value expectations are met. Porcello may be it, I know they love Vance Worley and the Phils have entertained the idea of shifting Utley to LF to try and prolong his career... NOT SAYING either is likely, just putting rumor-to-rumor to come to a logical conclusion...
    Doesn't Barney to Toronto make some sense?

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,348
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    same here. We know the Tigers love Barney, depends on how much they love him though. A Barney for Porcello framework would be ideal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers got back in on Garza again because of their owners win now attitude.
    Given the Tigers massive defensive issues, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Barney was one of their biggest trade targets this offseason- they're just about tapped financially and Barney still has 3+ years of affordable control... Could see them shifting Barney to SS, Peralta to 3B, Cabrera to LF (Young leaving) -or- they could keep Barney at 2B, Peralta at SS, still shifting Cabrera to LF and landing a Alberto Callaspo to play 3B- a defensive lineup of Laird/Avila/Martinez C, Fielder 1B, Barney 2B, Peralta SS, Callaspo 3B, Cabrera LF, Jackson CF, Dirks RF with Cabs, Fielder and VMart rotating at DH is lightyears better than that slop they threw out there this year. Barney and Callaspo also add crazy high contact rates at the plate to a team that the WS exposed as all-or-nothing offensively...

    Sorry about the Tigers rant... write about all of MLB too often, hard to turn off...
    Ombudsman

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,348
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    Doesn't Barney to Toronto make some sense?
    Barney makes sense to literally half of MLB. Cheap, slick fielding 2B with high contact rates and low K totals are not as easy to find right now as some people think. 2B has become a big offensive position, shifting away from the Mickey Morandini/Eric Young type to Uggla/Utley/Kipnis/Kinsler types...
    Ombudsman

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    20 minutes from the field of dreams
    Posts
    1,128
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Barney makes sense to literally half of MLB. Cheap, slick fielding 2B with high contact rates and low K totals are not as easy to find right now as some people think. 2B has become a big offensive position, shifting away from the Mickey Morandini/Eric Young type to Uggla/Utley/Kipnis/Kinsler types...

    Also I still feel Barney best position both offensively and defensively is SS, so any team needing a MI needs to take a look at Barney.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,911
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I'd like to see if the cubs could work out a Barney for Porcello framework
    Flaws with this:

    - The whole point of adding Porcello would be that he can improve in front of the IF D of the Cubs, which is much better than the Tigers'.

    - The Tigers rely more on strikeouts and offense than most teams, a good formula, and Barney is a light bat in a tougher park to hit in.

    I'd try to get them to do it for guys like Jackson, Szczur, Watkins, Lake...Seems pretty pointless to trade for one of the best groundball pitchers in the league and trade your best infield defender doing it. Then you have to go out and fill 2B with someone like Izturis, which might work.

    I honestly dont get why everyone is so quick to want to move Barney. From a roster building POV, and efficiency being so popular, its a pretty inefficient move for the Cubs to move him as he is right now. Teams beginning to view him as a starter is more of them catching up to what they should have seen and known already anyway, and probably how the Cubs have viewed him the past two years. I dont see the point of trading a 500K homegrown starter and severely weaken what is probably the closest thing to a plus the ML roster has going for it right now (IF defense).
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,911
    vCash
    1500
    Tigers are pretty low on OFers (speed would probably be as welcome power since their pitchers get flyballs - Szczur and Jackson might be of interest), athletic infielders (Watkins, Lake, etc), relief arms (Dolis, Cabrera might be of interesting)...Id try to use that.

    Porcello for Barney is a pretty even swap as each stands right now, but now the Cubs plan to take him away from a bad defensive environment takes a hit. Logistically (is that what it is?) it doesnt make sense for the Cubs, who now have to as much as 10x their 2B price to get similar production while filling the other spots they have big holes at.

    ABTY - are basing them moving Cabrera to LF on any rumor thats out there?

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •