Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm not a Vitters lover either, but you can't trade him for Haren. Too much money and for only one year. The whole purpose of acquiring him would likely be to flip him at the deadline, and you're not going to receive a prospect much better than Vitters for half a season of Haren. And if his velocity doesn't rebound, the prospect will be worse than Josh.
    Last edited by RedHeadsRule; 10-31-2012 at 10:22 PM.

vCash
    I didn't think that Vitters might be considered too much. I'm not a Vitters fan and I think Haren can easily rehab his value and fetch more than that, so I'd be willing to put him on the table.

Scott/DeVoss proposal would be great, but I feel like some team would happily top that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I'm not a Vitters lover either, but you can't trade him for Haren. Too much money and for only one year. The whole purpose of acquiring him would likely be to flip him at the deadline, and you're not going to receive a prospect much better than Vitters for half a season of Haren. And if his velocity doesn't rebound, the prospect will be worse than Josh.
    My thought was that you could theoretically flip him at any time, eating close to all the money, and buy some much better prospects than Vitters. But whatever, I'd rather not give Vitters anyway. I just want Haren.

vCash
    I personally wouldn't go near a Haren for Vitters swap. I think Vitters could be part of a larger trade, though, not as the prime piece.
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    I'm not sure if Haren's velocity is going to come back. I'd rather sign another pitcher and use Vitters for something else. Although I'm not sure how high Vitters value is to begin with. So maybe Vitters for Haren would be fair

vCash
    Haren isn't worth Vitters are this point in his career. I'm thinking more of an Amaya type prospect for Haren. That's about as high as i would go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I don't see why being critical of a team makes you any less of a fan. Having blind faith doesn't make you a better fan either. Its one thing if people are critical of everything. That hasn't been the case here.
    ofcourse he is entitled to have his opinion and be critical but i'm sure if you go in every thread that matters there is more than one case of the same ****. its more we get it, we understand you said it already we dont need to be reminded in every damn thread and every chance you get. its more about the constant *****ing about the same exact thing over and over again every chance you get.

vCash
    Dodgers paid Brandon League 3/21.5 or so. God that team is so stupid trying to win.

Another good player on a loaded franchise's payroll, but you have to wonder if they care about The Future. Their payroll is super inefficient right now and their farm system is mediocre at best. Sure they have Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp in their primes, Adrian Gonzales, Josh Beckett, Hanley Ramirez, Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier, a bullpen with a bunch of hard throwers including League, Chad Billingsley, and etc...but is it worth it? Does that look like a guaranteed WS winner? They're a lock to no win the Rays/As Efficiency Dynasty award...

vCash
    No to Vitters for Haren.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ST.maarten'stop View Post
    ofcourse he is entitled to have his opinion and be critical but i'm sure if you go in every thread that matters there is more than one case of the same ****. its more we get it, we understand you said it already we dont need to be reminded in every damn thread and every chance you get. its more about the constant *****ing about the same exact thing over and over again every chance you get.
    Admittedly it can get old. However it is kind of relevant when people discuss possible trade/FA acquisitions. There's people that are trying to be constructive and say hey this guy is 27-28 he might help now and in the future or this guy might be a good buy low guy. Then they are greeted with something like: "Don't you know what got us here" or "he's too old." I think there is a certain sense of smugness on the other side. They act as if every FA signing is going to be a Soriano esque deal. I think people get too caught up on the idea that every player is going to be a guy coming from the farm. Some people on here are becoming impatient, which is justifiable since we had 3 disappointing seasons before this one. However I think some people are too complacent.

I think people have lowered their standards simply because Theo is here. It was supposed to work the opposite. Honestly, I don't think anyoe expected 2012 to be their best roster. I certainly didn't. If I thought they were closer to a WS a year later I would be blowing him like everyone else. If they make good moves in 2013 people will be in a better mood and all this won't be talked about. Hopefully they do something worthwhile this off season.

vCash
    MLBTR is predicting the Cubs to be in on the following top FA's:

Marcum, Liriano, Villanueva, Blanton, and Guthrie.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ictions-1.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    MLBTR is predicting the Cubs to be in on the following top FA's:

Marcum, Liriano, Villanueva, Blanton, and Guthrie.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ictions-1.html
    Yes. No. Yes. No. No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utkcub View Post
    Yes. No. Yes. No. No.
    No. YES. YES. NO NO.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/1...ected-payroll/

Bruce Levine did the chatting thing yesterday, and offered quite a few relevant/interesting offseason thoughts. His thoughts, and my comments …

The Marlins actually reached out to the Cubs on a possible Josh Johnson trade. Recall, Bruce had previously suggested that the Marlins probably would do so, and we discussed the implications at length. Bruce hasn’t yet heard what the Cubs’ response to the Marlins was, or where things stand now. Still seems like other teams are going to want Johnson more than the Cubs.
    The Cubs have had conversations already with the Angels, though Bruce can’t confirm that those talks have had anything to do with Ervin Santana and Dan Haren. With Santana off to the Royals now, that piece doesn’t much matter anymore.
    Relatedly, Bruce notes that the Angels have some level of interest in Carlos Marmol. Given the short window of time with which the sides have to work on a deal involving Haren (option decision due Friday night), it’s hard to imagine a big deal involving multiple parts coming together this week … but, then again, all sides had the playoffs off, so who knows how much had already been discussed by the time the Giants won the World Series and ushered in the offseason.
    Marco Scutaro doesn’t fit in the Cubs’ plans, but Placido Polanco might, if he comes cheaply enough. Bruce sees Polanco as potential trade bait if he’s healthy and productive in the first half – he also brings the nice side benefits of being a good leader, good defender, and a versatile player.
    Darwin Barney’s trade value will probably never be higher, coming off a Gold Glove season, and while he’s still in his pre-arbitration years. The Cubs might consider dangling him for prospects, though his “intangible” qualities could be difficult to replace (even if his bat is very easily replaced). Bruce mentions the Tigers, specifically, and you can bet the Cubs have spoken to them many times in the last year about Barney. I imagine Barney’s value in trade varies wildly from team to team. Offensively-focused large market teams probably wouldn’t even part with a top 30 prospect for him. Pitching and defense-focused smaller market teams might be willing to swap even a young, about-to-enter-arbitration starting pitcher for him. Truly, it’s probably that wide of a range. It also depends, I’m sure, on how you think his bat will come along next year.
    Bruce hopes the Cubs deal Bryan LaHair to a team where he’ll have more opportunities to play. I agree, but I supposed I’d phrase more like, “I hope the Cubs are able to find a landing spot for LaHair where he’ll have more opportunities to play.” And then I’d add a parenthetical that said, (Because that also means the Cubs would have gotten a little value for him, given that Team X sees him as a guy worth giving more opportunities to).
    Zack Greinke and Josh Hamilton would be wastes of money to the Cubs in the first 2/3 years of their deals, says Bruce. They aren’t a fit. (Not for nothing, because I don’t support the approach, but if the Cubs added *both* Greinke and Hamilton, and went all out on other acquisitions, they wouldn’t be “wasting” money, because that could be a competitive team. It would also not put them in a position to be repeatedly competitive down the road (I mean long-term), though, which is antithetical to what we know Epstein and Co. want to do.)
    Bruce guesses the Cubs’ Opening Day payroll will be in the $90 million to $100 million range. I bet he’s right on that one. No, it isn’t an adequate level for a team with the revenue base of the Cubs (which is only going to get bigger) in a market like Chicago, but the level will grow as the young core of the team is developed and shows a readiness to contribute to a competitive team. That’s when the big money free agents are added (and also when those young players start to get a little more expensive). There’s no point in spending $120/$130 million just for the hell of it. That all said, don’t lose sight of the fact that the Cubs – even when considering arbitration raises – have only about $60 million on the books for 2013. They can spend a lot of money this offseason if they want.

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I prdedict a cubs trade to be announced on Friday...not sure who but something is in the works. Smoke Smoke Smoke.

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast