Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 1072
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    52,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The brain trust apparently told season ticket holders today that there wouldn't be any impact free agent signings until there was a simultaneous wave of impact prospects from the minor leagues ready to come up in the following season.

    Given the current timetables for our current prospects, that means at least two more years of tanking.
    I'm not so sure about that. I think we could see both Soler and Baez making their debuts sometime during 2014. I think next year we'll start seeing more significant moves, even if it's just 1 or 2 of them.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    23,097
    vCash
    1500
    I'm going to be in my 30's by the time the team starts winning again

    Although I guess that depends if they are going to spend when the prospects make their debuts or when they are ready to kick ***. If we are waiting for guys like Baez and Soler to kick *** that's probably not until what 2017?

    Some days I wish Carl Crawford caught that ball
    Last edited by Mell413; 11-01-2012 at 09:08 PM.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    226
    vCash
    1500
    The fact that they are still flirting with the idea of keeping Stewart baffles me, there is no reason he should be on this ball club come Spring. We will spend money this offseason and make a lot of moves but I get the feeling it won't be for any marquee players.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,341
    vCash
    1500
    i wish Jim Hendry was gm still just so i wouldnt have to read kyles posts

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    52,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I'm going to be in my 30's by the time the team starts winning again

    Although I guess that depends if they are going to spend when the prospects make their debuts or when they are ready to kick ***. If we are waiting for guys like Baez and Soler to kick *** that's probably not until what 2017?

    Some days I wish Carl Crawford caught that ball
    I don't think that's what they meant. They only have a 5 year deal. I HIGHLY doubt they start going for it in 2017. They need to start winning at some point in the next couple years.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I think we could see both Soler and Baez making their debuts sometime during 2014. I think next year we'll start seeing more significant moves, even if it's just 1 or 2 of them.
    I think that'd be an odd departure from the way the organization has handed things such far. In general, they've been putting players on a fairly slow track.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    23,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I don't think that's what they meant. They only have a 5 year deal. I HIGHLY doubt they start going for it in 2017. They need to start winning at some point in the next couple years.
    Not trying to have that debate again, but I dont see anyone in the upper levels helping the big league team in a major way any time soon. Obviously things can change with prospects, but most of our potential impact guys are at least 3 years away. If they are trying to win in 4 seasons I don't see a way where that can work considering how they are currently constructed.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    i wish Jim Hendry was gm still just so i wouldnt have to read kyles posts
    Jim Hendry: 33% division titles.

    Cubs New Brain Trust: 0%.


  9. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    52,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    I think that'd be an odd departure from the way the organization has handed things such far. In general, they've been putting players on a fairly slow track.
    That might be a little aggressive with Baez but I always thought they'd might fast track Soler more than usual since he's supposed to be more advanced.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    39,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Not trying to have that debate again, but I dont see anyone in the upper levels helping the big league team in a major way any time soon. Obviously things can change with prospects, but most of our potential impact guys are at least 3 years away. If they are trying to win in 4 seasons I don't see a way where that can work considering how they are currently constructed.
    Baez has been fast tracked as of this point. He obviously wont be up in 2013, but 2014 is certainly not out of the question. With Soler's contract, he too, should be a fast tracked prospect, also, a possible 2014 candidate. They're not in the upper levels, but there's certainly optimism (not a guarantee by any stretch) here that these guys could be ready by 2014 at some point. Vizcaino seems as though he could be given a shot at some starts (Svuem speculated his innings ceiling would be around 100 IP, and that indicates more SP than RP), and could be an impact SP arm in 2014. If that's the case, impact talent could just be one year away via FA.

    This offseason isn't going to be the big boomer I think many are hoping. My main hope is the front office can find a few more long term assets, even if they're only in that steady MLB mold and not in the Anthony Rizzo mold.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-01-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    23,097
    vCash
    1500
    Even if they make it up here in 2014 I don't expect them to kick *** right away. If they do that certainly speeds it up, but I'm not expecting that. It could take a few years before it clicks for them. I just don't see where the talent is going to come from to win a WS in 4 years. I guess Theo could be extended, but I can't assume that now.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,504
    vCash
    1500
    speaking of impactful talent, the d-backs are loaded with top pitching prospects. I know this has been discussed little bit here but Theo and Jed should be ringing their phone off the hook trying to acquire one of Bauer, Skaggs, Bradley this offseason.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,295
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM:24154308
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    i wish Jim Hendry was gm still just so i wouldnt have to read kyles posts
    Jim Hendry: 33% division titles.

    Cubs New Brain Trust: 0%.


    0 world series may I repeat 0 world series for hendry and a ton of bloated contracts and mishandled prospects. Track records speak for themselves 2 rings to 0. Hendry could talk to agents but couldn't tell you how too scout or handle young talent. Your just ignorant for trying to compare Theo to hendry. That just made you look stupid.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,556
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Jim Hendry: 33% division titles.

    Cubs New Brain Trust: 0%.

    I hope you're joking.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,295
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by utkcub:24154120
    The fact that they are still flirting with the idea of keeping Stewart baffles me, there is no reason he should be on this ball club come Spring. We will spend money this offseason and make a lot of moves but I get the feeling it won't be for any marquee players.
    Hes cheap why not keep him? Try and see what he can do after this surgery if we can't sign a Reynolds or youk or Ryan Roberts or drew.

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •