Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is DeRozen worth 10 million a year?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!!!

18 33.33%
  • No, and Coangelo should be fired for giving it to him.

36 66.67%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Yes, people are overreacting. What are we saving the cap space for?
    Apparently for mediocre and average players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    Apparently for mediocre and average players.
    because why?
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    It's a meh deal. I would have preferred that they let the open market determine his value though. I have a hard time believing anyone else would offer him that kind of money. But the difference likely would have only been a few million total, I can live with that.

vCash
    Yes, people are overreacting. What are we saving the cap space for?
    If the path to success for a less than desirable NBA destination (like Toronto) is developing stars from within then it makes sense to maintain a low enough payroll to re-sign them when the time comes. you can't do that if you are locking up average players to above average long term deals.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    the problem is that toronto is in a major market but is looked at like a small market team. there is inherent pressure by ownership to sell tickets and make money while the gm can not bring in free agents. and even has players saying they won't play here if they were traded for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djsunyc View Post
    the problem is that toronto is in a major market but is looked at like a small market team. there is inherent pressure by ownership to sell tickets and make money while the gm can not bring in free agents. and even has players saying they won't play here if they were traded for.
    By obtaining Lowry and drafting JVal... I really think we have finally turned the corner on this issue. Players will see the potential this year of joining the core. The whole chicken vs the egg thing is irrelevant now... We have some eggs ( JVal, Ed, Demar, TRoss) and we have some chickens ( Lowry, Bargs). People can see enough potential on the raps to consider this market.

vCash
    raptor fans: " derozan sucks so much hey i have an idea lets trade him for a star"

LOL

vCash
    I think once players play here they like it (with few exceptions). Most basketball players come from the inner-city and really aren't educated enough to know about Toronto except the usual "its cold" which is BS since half the teams in the NBA play in a cold-climate city (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston, Philly, NY, Brooklyn, DC, Denver, Utah, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana). We've heard the typical "they ain't got no ESPN up there" or "food here bites, where's In n Out?". So if a player is willing to stay, I think its a positive. DeRozan isn't Chris Bosh, but he isn't chicken liver either. Cause the likelihood the Raps will get a Dwight Howard or Chris Paul is extremely slim to none.

I think DeRozan finally has the front office confidence, I think he truly will step it up. I don't except 25 point/game averages, but if he can average 17/18 with some good defense, I'll be happy.

Bargs is the bigger headcase, truly if we could replace him with a more legit scorer, this team with Lowry, DeRozan and "xyz" could be a very good Eastern Conference team.
    Last edited by Sanyo; 11-04-2012 at 01:11 AM.

vCash
    The puzzling thing about this contract is that DeMar is not producing at that salary level yet (and may never) so Colangelo should have had a major opportunity to negotiate a great contract for the team and for potential trades. This was a badly blown opportunity.

vCash
    because why?
    doesnt mean we should be dishing out that kind of money even if we have the money.

we could have waited til the end of the season to give him that money- now we are committed (in all likelyhood) to 4 more years to a a player who's skills are average at best and might not pan out. I would have been happy to give him $12 million per if he showed emmense increase in skill this year - i..e if that was the market rate for him. It would obviously be b/c he increased his ball handling and defense. Him shooting a better 3pt% would be the least likely to happen.

as well, holding out on Derozan would have been better this season to give him something to fight for.

vCash
    If we can get him for sub market value he then becomes a valuable asset for this team. BC is a risk taker, and he's gonna roll the dice. At the end of the day we can always trade Derozan if he is't performing the way we want.

So far, so good.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    If we can get him for sub market value he then becomes a valuable asset for this team. BC is a risk taker, and he's gonna roll the dice. At the end of the day we can always trade Derozan if he is't performing the way we want.

So far, so good.
    But that's the question: is his contract sub market value?

And is he a risk taker, or is he stubborn about his picks? Believing they're going to be great when signs indicate they likely won't be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    But that's the question: is his contract sub market value?

And is he a risk taker, or is he stubborn about his picks? Believing they're going to be great when signs indicate they likely won't be.
    BC said that he n his staff did their due diligence when assessing what his market value would currently be.

I dunno I still think that Demar is on the up-swing. I guess it comes down to whether or not each of us personally believes in his ability to ascend the ranks at SG, or not.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    BC said that he n his staff did their due diligence when assessing what his market value would currently be.

I dunno I still think that Demar is on the up-swing. I guess it comes down to whether or not each of us personally believes in his ability to ascend the ranks at SG, or not.
    I can't catch any games until January. I will be in Mexico until then on a Spanish immersion course. So I haven't seen him play.

It's his fundamentals I'm concerned with. Have they improved and can he really be on the up-swing if they haven't?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I can't catch any games until January. I will be in Mexico until then on a Spanish immersion course. So I haven't seen him play.

It's his fundamentals I'm concerned with. Have they improved and can he really be on the up-swing if they haven't?
    He's doing work in the post this season, I've never seen him do that before. To me it looks like he's improved but I can't say he's worth this contract unless he plays like this consistently.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast