Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Soriano Opting Out!

Rafael Soriano will opt out of his contract with the Yankees and elect free agency today, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Soriano's contract includes a $14MM player option for 2013 with a $1.5MM buyout.

Assuming the right-hander opts out, the Yankees will counter by making him a one-year qualifying offer worth $13.3MM. This would link Soriano to draft pick compensation, setting the Yankees up for a potential pick in 2013. The Scott Boras client is believed to be seeking a four-year deal, Heyman reports. Soriano probably won't accept New York's qualifying offer, but the Yankees are likely willing to give him a two-year deal.

The 32-year-old posted a 2.26 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9 with 42 saves this past season. “There is a strong chance that he would have tremendous value as a free agent,” Boras told Joel Sherman earlier in the month. It's hard to disagree following such a strong season.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    give mo a deadline, and offer so what he is worth... if he doesn't like it, so be it...

vCash
    Money better used else where. We still have a very good bullpen. And if Mo does hang them up, which I think he won't, we can fill the closers role with someone cheaper and probably as good (Madson, Soria, etc.)
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Absolutely fantastic. That money will be well spent elsewhere.

vCash
    So long Sourpuss!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    kinda smart move by soriano specially with the uncertain position of MO, he may force Randy levine to re-up, offer him a qualifying offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    So long Sourpuss!
    I'm surprised that you didn't name the thread "Sourpuss opting out." I'm disappointed in you Leo.

Eric Berry Strong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    I'm surprised that you didn't name the thread "Sourpuss opting out." I'm disappointed in you Leo.
    I've done that in the past and someone changes it...
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    we have a good bull pen without him, so basically we just saved a good chnk of money and get a draft pick
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    I've done that in the past and someone changes it...
    Mods hate you!

Eric Berry Strong

vCash
    He did good while he was here, I would resign him to a multi year deal but he would have to accept at most 8 mil a year. Anything more then that then let him leave.

vCash
    Soriano off the books turns into a draft pick and that money goes toward addressing other needs (assuming he is replaceable in the bullpen)

Love this.

Thanks for the role you played filling in for Rivera but see ya later Soriano.

vCash
    Scott Boras Seeking Four Years For Rafael Soriano
    By Mike Axisa [October 31 at 8:25pm CST]

Rafael Soriano opted out of the final year of his contract with the Yankees today, passing up a guaranteed $14MM in favor of a potential multiyear deal. Team president Randy Levine and agent Scott Boras told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that the two sides did discuss a new contract, but they didn't see eye to eye.

"Randy and I had a discussion," said Boras. "He requested us to make an offer. At this time, we thought it best to file before making any proposals to the Yankees ... I never make promises as to what the free-agent market might bear. I'm in the business of providing information to my clients and negotiating on their behalf. I'm not in the business of promising my clients contracts."

Levine told Heyman that Boras told Soriano he "could get $60 million for four years" on the open market this offseason, which would be the richest contract for a reliever in history. "People can make logical conclusions. I am happy he feels he has a feel for the value of the player," added Boras of Levine.

Soriano, 32, pitched to a 2.26 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9 this season, and he went 42-for-46 in save chances after Mariano Rivera injured his knee. Jonathan Papelbon signed a four-year, $50MM contract with the Phillies last offseason, which appeared to set the market for high-end closers.
    4 years, 60 million?

We remember...

vCash
    4 60 mil for a closer
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    4 years 60 million? bye bye sourpuss
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast