Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Orioles plan to give Showalter extension this winter

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. -- Orioles management intends to negotiate an extension for Manager of the Year favorite Buck Showalter, people familiar with the situation told CBSSports.com.

Owner Peter Angelos has told people connected to the team of his intention to extend Showalter, whose contract expires after the 2013 season. However, any negotiation may be delayed while Showalter and Angelos deal with minor outside concerns. Showalter recently had knee surgery and is rehabbing at home in the Dallas area.

Showalter and Angelos have formed an excellent relationship, and Showalter also has the full support of O's GM Dan Duquette, who also did a terrific job in his first year back as a GM after 10 years away from the game. Duquette has no intention of letting Showalter become a lame-duck manager.

Showalter led the Orioles to a surprising 93-69 record and took the Yankees to a fifth game in the American League Division Series after beating the Rangers in the wild-card game. Showalter is the favorite to win AL Manager of the Year honors, though it could go to Oakland's Bob Melvin, as well. Showalter forged such an impressive season despite having only one pitcher who started more than 20 games, Wei-Yin Chen.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...on-this-winter

Amazing news.

vCash
    Don't get me wrong.....this is absolutely the correct move. However, if I'm playing devils advocate, I am somewhat concerned about his previous history of doing GREAT his second year, and absolutely terrible afterwards.

I would have preferred we waited until the start of the new year just to make sure I'm paying him his value...if he was still coaching above .500 I would have paid and maybe even overpaid just out of good faith.

vCash
    Possible, but Showalter got us out of a huge losing streak...I really could care less. We have to keep him around.