Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    If they extend Dickey and Wright it will give us better ideas of what their plans are in 2014.

If they deal Dickey, i think they go full rebuild from this point, getting as much as they can for Dickey and then accumulating possibly a top 5 pick next year.

Although it will be a slow offseason it should still be an interesting one nonetheless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    If they extend Dickey and Wright it will give us better ideas of what their plans are in 2014.

If they deal Dickey, i think they go full rebuild from this point, getting as much as they can for Dickey and then accumulating possibly a top 5 pick next year.

Although it will be a slow offseason it should still be an interesting one nonetheless.
    This is smoke and mirrors to get the season ticket holders to buy in for one more season then they will lower the boom and get rid of them but if they get a great offer for them during the winter they're gone.

vCash
    McCulloughSL Heard today that there's "nothing imminent" between Wright and Mets. Negotiations ongoing. Both sides keeping quiet on details.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    They gave out the GG already and Chase Headley won it from the Padres.

As for them dealing Dickey, if they can get the right package back for him they might as well. The only thing they are accomplishing next year is better draft position so if there is little intention on competing (which we know there is) they might as well deal Dickey before they have to pay him like a frontline SP.

I really don't see Wright going anywhere. They'll give him his 6/7 yr deal (that includes his option) and his 130-140 million and he'll stay.
    Well there had better be a LeBron James type baseball prospect out there if the Mets are going to go in full out tank mode for the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Well there had better be a LeBron James type baseball prospect out there if the Mets are going to go in full out tank mode for the season.
    There's a very distinct possibility the Mets end up with a top 5 pick next year if they deal Dickey and make no other significant moves this offseason (which they won't)

But at least they could get a major league prospect/prospects back for a pitcher of Dickey's caliber and have that possible top 5 pick going forward.

If that is what it takes to rebuild then so be it.

Objectively speaking if they don't have intentions of adding payroll past next year they should probably deal Wright too but there are too many repercussions in a move like that.

The Mets made that move in the 70s when they dealt Tom Seaver and that turned away Met fans for several years.

The Wilpons are *******s but i think they have enough business sense to know how important Wright is to the franchise regardless of their financial situation.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-02-2012 at 02:46 AM.

vCash
    @metswon
    If the Mets keep Wright and have another 70-ish win season, won't attendance go down regardless? Financially, the Mets would make more hosting a 40 - 60 mil payroll, as opposed to a 90+ mil payroll(assuming the 40 mil team and the 90 mil team both produced losing records).
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    @metswon
    If the Mets keep Wright and have another 70-ish win season, won't attendance go down regardless? Financially, the Mets would make more hosting a 40 - 60 mil payroll, as opposed to a 90+ mil payroll(assuming the 40 mil team and the 90 mil team both produced losing records).
    Yeah but they will lose even more attendance if they deal Wright in accordance with losing that many games.

Wright is obviously their most marketable player and there are a lot of kids/casual Met fans who come to the ballpark just to see him play.

Whatever the Mets sign him for, he is certainly worth that at the box office and merchandising sales.

vCash
    Yeah but they will lose even more attendance if they deal Wright in accordance with losing that many games.

Wright is obviously their most marketable player and there are a lot of kids/casual Met fans who come to the ballpark just to see him play.

Whatever the Mets sign him for, he is certainly worth that at the box office and merchandising sales.
    True, Wright sells a lot of merch and a lesser degree tickets(keep in mind, not too many teams make money off tickets), but the Mets would make more money w/o Wright and Dickey(assuming they're not winning w/ them).

It looks like the Wilpons will not have the ability to spend, so it's basically a perennial 70-ish win team w/ Wright, and a decent crowd in the 1st half then a ghost town in the 2nd half. The point is, that a 40-60 mil payroll team will make more as opposed to 90mil+ payroll w/ Wright.

The worst I fear is that the Mets lock up Wright and Dickey, then the Wilpons don't add anyone else while we continue that path of being a perennial 75 win team. I don't think that happens, but it's certainly a possibility, so I believe that they will retain Wright/Dickey and let them walk in FA.

Hopefully, the Mets prove me wrong and trade both those, and proceed to spend money on the draft and lock up their young players(Ike Davis would be a perfect player to hand an extension, as he's due for a huge year). Then after that, hopefully we can get legitimate owners in 2015 or 2016 when Bud Selig steps down. A team full of young locked up players in 2015/2016 w/ a ownership that has the pockets to spend, a man can dream ray:

vCash
    I've been thinking about this...If I were Wright or Dickey I wouldn't accept any offers this season, not so much that I would want to test free agency but to put management on notice that unless they are willing to put some other pieces into play I won't be here to continue to have my time/career/productive years wasted.

Its great to say Wright will get 8/140+ and Dickey 3/25+ but their personalities seem like they want Prestige, they want a championship and I think the best way for them to get it may indeed be to force the Wipon's hand "Show me the plan in Nov/Dec 2013 off-season and I'll gladly resign in Jan 2014...keep me waiting longer and I explore other options"

I wouldn't blame either one of them(Wright/Dickey) for taking this position

vCash
    If I was Wright, I'd say either you make moves to compete this year, or you trade me. I see no reason why Wright would want to stay, given that he wasted several years of his prime due to this franchise. I understand folks say 2014 is our year, but baseball doesn't work like that. In 2006, the Mets had a team poised to run the NL for the next 3-5 years, but it didn't go that way. Hell the 86' team looked like a dynasty. You can't just assume that you're going to compete in 2014, when a few of our key cogs(Dickey; Niese, Ike) could get injured and eliminates that hope. Also, you're basically saying to Wright, "hey waste another year for us(2013) but there's a chance we're good in 2014". That's very asinine.

Even if we do resign Wright, we're still a few years away. Ok, we have a lot of young pitchers, great. However, Wheeler/Harvey have shown little to nothing in the majors and will go through growing pains. So at best we have three starters and several(Harvey; Wheeler, Familia, etc) who may or may not be MLB pitchers. Now, where is our outfield?

So, we have 3/5 of a rotation along w/ no outfield, coupled w/ little to no resources to improve the team. I don't know about you, but this is not a team that will compete for a WS for the next 2+ years, given the teams roster and the ownership's finances. This is why, the Mets need to trade Wright and Dickey, because if you can't spend money at least get cheap and young. Get back some decent pieces for Wright and Dickey, go hard in the draft/International Free Agent market, lock up guys like Gee/Ike/etc for below market value. Maybe after all the above, the Mets will be a good team in 2015.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    McCulloughSL Heard today that there's "nothing imminent" between Wright and Mets. Negotiations ongoing. Both sides keeping quiet on details.

Typical Mets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Typical Mets.
    Oh man, you are a whiner.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    There's a very distinct possibility the Mets end up with a top 5 pick next year if they deal Dickey and make no other significant moves this offseason (which they won't)

But at least they could get a major league prospect/prospects back for a pitcher of Dickey's caliber and have that possible top 5 pick going forward.

If that is what it takes to rebuild then so be it.

Objectively speaking if they don't have intentions of adding payroll past next year they should probably deal Wright too but there are too many repercussions in a move like that.

The Mets made that move in the 70s when they dealt Tom Seaver and that turned away Met fans for several years.

The Wilpons are *******s but i think they have enough business sense to know how important Wright is to the franchise regardless of their financial situation.
    And it took them seven years to become relevant again but that was with drafting phenoms like Strawberry & Gooden.

vCash
    edit

vCash

Hold on, isn't that insulting other members?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast